VINE VOICEon 22 August 2013
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
All ergonomic keyboards take some getting used to, but sadly the point of learning a new way to type is lost here because this is less comfortable even than standard keyboards, nevermind the superlative Microsoft Natural Ergonomic Keyboard 4000 (UK) (which I recommend you buy instead).

This model seems like it is meant to be a halfway house for those scared to go all-in for the 4000. But this keyboard cramps your hands inwards too far (thumbs turned towards your chest), forcing an unnatural posture.

I touch-type quite quickly and the little hill in the centre increases the overall distance and makes it so that I have to perform unnecessary movements - while not supporting your wrists - the 4000 is raised in the centre but the separated keyboard is much more intuitive to use and supportive.

And with more of my palm forced over the keyboard contortions are needed to reach some keys.

The feel of pressing down each key is not satisfying or trustworthy enough - it feels like being stopped short.

The optional stands are at the front of the keyboard rather than the back, but flipping these open only leads to a horizontal level, instead of the keyboard gently sloping down away from you for better wrist alignment.

Even though I never developed any pains (edit - yes, I have now, see below) along the backs of my hands, as I sometimes do with normal keyboards, I just can't recommend this - it may be sculpted but it isn't comfort.

EDIT...

Actually, lot of work looming and went back to this as options were thin. Definite RSI now developing (it's not my sitting posture, it couldn't be improved upon when assessed at work).
on 27 November 2012
If you're even slightly interested in technology, you're probably used to a certain style from Microsoft. Simple, unexciting but robust hardware, miles away from the "design first" philosophy of certain fruity competitors. The Sculpt Comfort Keyboard, however, is one of a recent series of Microsoft products that completely shatter that mould.

Even from the box itself - elegantly designed, minimal plastics, easily recyclable - everything about it oozes quality. The keyboard itself is light, but incredibly well designed - it certainly looks set to withstand a good few falls and bumps. The design itself is minimalistic and beautiful - sure, the keys are not quite up there with gaming-grade Cherry keytops, but they're a joy to type with, and the ergonomic design is incredibly fast to get used to.

If you're eagle eyed, however, you'll notice this keyboard has a huge surprise in store - it has a split space bar. Down the centre of the keyboard, the space bar separates in two. By default, both sides work as a space bar. However, holding both together for three seconds activates a quick pulse of an LED, telling you the left side of the spacebar has turned into a second backspace key. That's right - you have a backspace under your left thumb.

Out the box, I was tentative to say the least. Okay - I was nearly foaming with rage at the prospect of Microsoft ruining such a great keyboard. But, after 10 or 20 minutes, my tone changed. You never notice it - but if you type all the time like I do, you'll find your right thumb does all of the work. Look at your keyboard - it's more than likely your spacebar is more worn on the right side than anywhere else. This split spacebar doesn't ruin anything at all - and once you get used to it - it's an incredible difference. No more darting right hand to the backspace key for every little slip. Typing doesn't become all that much faster, but it's certainly more comfortable, and definitely more ergonomic.

The only negative point to this keyboard has to be the tranciever. Not only is it infeasibly large (in this day and age, why can't it be nice and portable?!), but it's not even bluetooth enabled. Microsoft certainly missed a trick here - allowing this keyboard to connect to any bluetooth device would make this nearly perfect.

All in all, I'm incredibly impressed with Microsoft for this keyboard, and the rest of the products currently accompanying it - definitely a great change compared to some past performance! Keep it up, Microsoft!
33 Comments| 5 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 9 October 2015
Space bar takes a bit of getting used to, Windows 10 and no problems .... literally plugged in the receiver, put the batteries into the keyboard and it works straight away.
Only thing I don't like is that there are no lights to indicate Num Lock or caps lock .... Other than that 10 out of 10
VINE VOICEon 17 September 2013
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
With the curve it took a bit of getting used to, but after a couple of weeks of strange spelling mistakes I would never go back to a flat keyboard again.

The main letter keys have a slight curve which means your hands sit a bit further apart and does definitely feel more natural. Attached to the bottom is a wrist support that you can detached if required (I quite like it) and it has legs to prop up. At the top of the keyboard the F buttons also double up as shortcuts (such as for calculator or my computer) and media keys (play, stop, mute etc). You switch between the F function and other functions with use of a switch. it does seem a bit odd, but I hardly ever use F keys these days anyway.

There aren't any LED lights for caps/number/scroll lock, I would have liked some but it's only a mild inconvenience. The wireless signal is fine, with a tiny USB adaptor for the receiver. Overall the unit feels very sturdy and well built, not like it will fall apart after 6 months.

I would definitely recommend this keyboard, it has help loads with wrist problems I get from long periods typing and the media keys I use constantly.
on 17 March 2016
The key response is terrible, a lot of keypresses don't register at all, you have to continue pushing the keys well after you've passed the tactile respose. The backspace key rarely registers at all if you push the left side of the key.
Useless for somebody who types quickly,
on 4 April 2014
A comfortable keyboard but some of the key sizes and placements are obviously focussed on gamers and media junkies and obviously not meant for serious coders, e.g. the ESC key is minute.

Not useful to coders trying to use this in anger. )-:
on 14 November 2015
Not as good as my previous mouse & keyboard ergonomic set from Microsoft but not bad.
Be warned - Microsoft USB wireless sticks can't be replaced on their own you have to buy a whole new set - particularly irritating decision by the company.
on 4 February 2015
Timely shipping. Thank you. Should have read the description better as I needed a US keyboard instead of a UK keyboard. But it works fine. Just takes some extra time to get used to.
on 25 March 2013
Very good quality product,easy & comfortable to use. Wrist support is very comfortable & it can be detached to make it a smaller and lighter keyboard.
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 25 July 2013
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
This ergonomic keyboard is the first such shaped keyboard I've ever used. Up to now it's been the standard straight keyboard. I've been a touch typist for over 20 years so I was intrigued how this would affect my typing.

Pros
----

Nicely shaped, nothing too extreme. It only enhances my typing and does not detract from it.

The wrist-rest, whilst adding depth the the keyboard, does provide a valuable resting place for the heel of your palms as you type. This is better than I thought it would be. It's detachable though, very easily.

USB Wireless set up works flawlessly (on Windows 7 and Windows XP at least). Good range too, 5 meters tried and was fine. Dongle longer than is normally found these days (think: Logitech).

Softer key press action than I'm used to. Stops the clackety-clack you hear in offices but still gives more than enough feedback whilst you type.

Arrow keys, Home, End and a numeric keypad all where you expect them.

Cons
----
It took me a good 30 minutes to get the keyboard going. All down to a poor contact in the battery compartment. Whether caused when I pulled out the plastic strip that prevented the batteries going flat in the shop or there was just gunk on the battery connections I don't know. I very nearly gave up - just as it sprang into life. I had to spin the batteries in their compartment quite a bit to get a good contact.

The split space bar, where the left hand side can be used as a backspace key does not work for me. If you can train your right thumb to use the space bar at all times you may get away with it. I've turned that feature off so the whole space bar is just that - a space bar.

The Function Keys at the top of the keyboard are either all available or none of them is, depending on whether you have switched the special Windows 8 toggle switch. Normally this wouldn't matter as I would definitely use the function keys (eg F5 to refresh a web page) but the multimedia keys (Pause / Vol up / Vol down) are also on the Windows 8 set of functions, and I use those all the time. This is a show-stopper for me so I have had to configure the volume / multimedia keys using a totally different application so I don't need to use the keyboard ones.

Even if I ran Windows 8 and therefore wanted the Win-8 special key functionality it does not mean I want to give up access to my function keys - and I don't want to have to switch between them every time either.

No power light / on-off switch (or any other indication that the keyboard is working). I only found out I had a probable battery problem because when you change the split space-bar functionality it flashes the green LED at the top of the keyboard (or not, as in my case, indicating a power problem).

Conclusion
----------
Nice keyboard, good feel, I'm typing this review on it with no problems at all. Wrist-rest a good addition.

A star knocked off because the multimedia keys are not available at all times as well as the lack of an on-off switch / power LED indication etc. Ironically I have another Microsoft keyboard (very compact, no numeric keypad) that addresses all these limitations. Perhaps this keyboard was designed by another team.

All-in-all a good buy if you are prepared to manually switch between access to your function keys or the multimedia / Windows 8 keys.