Format: Audio CD|Change

on 12 May 2015
I bought this album based only on hearing Bang Bang Bang on a magazine freebie CD. This is absolute peach and I've been recommending to as many like minded friends as possible. A great collection of songs. To me it seems to blend the Arctic Monkeys and Reef, only much much better
on 28 March 2013
As all previous reviewers suggest, this is one of the best debuts in recent years without a doubt. I have been listening to this on the headphones but recently had the opportunity to crank it up on the hi-fi (wife and daughter out) and boy, does it rock!

What makes it so special? For me it's a combination of driving rhythms, an Arctic Monkeys northern-type twist on the vocals, catchy songs and great choruses. These songs are heavy, but all have a sense of melody and rhythm and for a three piece the sound is simply room filling.

It's difficult to compare the Virginmarys with anything contemporary because they have successfully infused so many genres on this album. From the strident Nirvana style openers Dead Man's Shoes and Portrait of Red to the White Stripes blues rock of My Little Girl, this band appear to have been listening to the right stuff. And do I detect a nod to the 80s in Dressed to Kill - the solo could have come from Big Country or U2.

By hitting so many classic rock buttons the band are sure to gain wide appeal, and why shouldn't they - if I buy a better new release this year I will be a very happy bunny.
on 4 February 2013
I can't remember the last time I've been so impressed by a debut release. For me The Virginmarys are the most exciting thing to hit the music scene since Oasis and if there is any justice the Macclesfield trio will reach the dizzy heights of success as those Manchester boys. And the thing is The Virginmarys have the songs, look, swagger and talent to pull it off.
The lead singers voice is cross between Caleb Followill (Kings Of Leon) with hints of Alex Turner (Arctic Monkeys) with a little bit of Lemmy (Motörhead) thrown in for that gravelly power. It makes for a very distinctive combination. Talking of power this album has it, think Foo Fighter meets Black Sabbath and you'll be along the right lines.

If you've heard the single "Dead Man's Shoes" then you'll know what to expect but don't think for a second that this is one track album, it's far from it. That's what makes this debut so impressive, it's 12 tracks (13 with the hidden track) of power and movement, controlled anger and aggression, heartbreak and tears. But what is really wonderful about this album is that you can tell that this band really enjoy playing their instruments and playing them together. It gives the album its soul.

The Attention Grabber: Dead Man's Shoes
Personal Favourite: Running For My Life
Favourite Vocal Performance: Ends Don't Mend
Special Mention: Stripped (Hidden Track) - Such a wonderfully soulful, delicate song. It shows this band can slow things down and still sound excellent.

Overall: 5/5 Buy It, Buy it NOW!!!
on 28 February 2015
What an album.the best debut album since appetite for destruction...this band should be huge by now.they rock the ass off all these samee bands. Buy it/get it and turn it up..,...
on 17 November 2013
Like many of the great rock bands of the last 30 years (Husker Du, Gang of 4 etc....) The Virginmarys defy comparison. They proudly plough their own furrow. The snarling vocals of punk, the guitar heft of rock and the tunes of pop. Great songs, a live show that'll leave you're head spinning and ears ringing for days. Get this album NOW!!! Recent winners of "Break through act of the year" at the Classic Rock awards. Congratulations fellas. They are, I hope, only one support tour away from mega stardom. They really deserve it.
on 24 April 2013
Got bang bang bang as a free track from amazon many many months ago and everytime it pops up on my iPod it catches me out. Finally came on when I was online and remembered to look the band up to see what else they had been doing. The virginmarys have not disappointed. Energy, edge, and they don't just sound like angry kids! Love it.
Only disappointment is that I missed them when they played in Glasgow back in march. Will be keeping my eye on their fb page to make sure I don't miss them again!
on 3 September 2013
This CD was quite expensive, but as it is a limited edition and signed, I thought I would treat myself.
Its a really well designed case, and has a numbered sticker inside.
The CDs are both great, and having the acoustic disc as a bonus is good, as it shows the musicianship of the band more. Decided to go and see the band on tour on the strength of this CD, so they must be doing something right!
on 3 June 2013
First album by a great band, had to buy it &
it was well worth it, a Rock Band at its best
on 14 March 2013
In a world dominated by the likes of Will.i.am, Nicki Minaj and Justin Bieber (for Christ's sake) I had started to believe rock music - PROPER rock music - was a dying art. I frequently have a flick through the music channels on TV and frankly it makes me want to cry, there just didn't seem to be anything exciting out there anymore. Even the likes of Kerrang seemed to play the same stuff all the time, All Time Low, You Me At Six, Paramore etc and while they are all okay that is pretty much the most positive thing I can say about them. They're just okay. It was depressing.

Enter the Virginmarys.

I hadn't heard of the Virginmarys until I saw them support Feeder in November last year and I was blown away. You know how it is when you go to gigs, sometimes the support bands are okay, sometimes they are bloody awful but on occasion you come across a band or an artist that knocks your socks off and the Virginmarys are such a band. They opened with Bang Bang Bang and it was one of those jaw dropping "wow, this is amazing" moments. It's been such a long time since I've been so impressed by a band - their dynamic on stage, the vocals of Ally Dickaty, the drummer totally beating the crap out of the drums, you could tell it was a pleasure for them to be playing and they were simply spectacular. I got the two EP's they were selling after they finished playing and looked forward to the release of the album.

A few months later King of Conflict is released. It is perfection.

It's the best album I've heard in such a long time and most definitely the best debut I've heard in years. Both Ally Dickaty's vocals and guitar playing are amazing with great riffs and solos, Matt Rose is a fantastic bass player and Danny Dolan is awesome on the drums - the album is 50+ minutes of excellence. My personal favourites are Portrait of Red (written about domestic abuse with the less thought about scenario of the male being the victim), Bang Bang Bang, Running for my Life and Dressed to Kill. The hidden track at the end of the album (about 12 minutes in) is also fantastic and shows the band's "softer" side but without them losing their edge and going all "ballady" (I know that's not a real word but you know what I mean).

I had the opportunity to see them play live again last week at a small venue in Birmingham and they were outstanding, they OWN the stage. I honestly can not say enough good things about this band and the album. If you ever have the opportunity to see them play live, grab it with both hands because you will not be disappointed.

This band has restored my faith in rock music!
on 24 May 2014
Great band, great album.

I love his voice, its so different from everything else out there.

Some of the lyrics are a bit twisted (portrait of red in particular) but thats what I love about Virginmarys.

(Theyre also fantastic live)