Customer reviews

Format: MP3 Download|Change
Price:£8.99

on 28 August 2017
This is best Chopin on two counts.
Lang Lang gives the best performance of Chopin I have ever heard.
The recording is so very clean and great to listen to on my Hi-Fi.
on 12 March 2017
Wonderful, buy it.
on 1 July 2017
I loved it
The disc is a gem, the performance is riveting; a 50 minutes DVD charting Lang Lang's career from age 12 through today is a magnificent extra bonus.

The disc is a 2012 Berlin studio recording on the occasion of the 30th anniversary of the Chinese brilliant pianist and concerns exclusively Chopin's solo piano compositions. The outcome of the combination of a brilliant pianist performing works of a great piano composer is a glittering gem.

Lang Lang has a long association and fascination with Chopin:

For 25 of Lang Lang's 30 years, Chopin has been a special companion; one of the first pieces he played was the Chopin Grande Valse brilliante op.18 included in the disc: the pianist was then five.

One of the turning points in Lang Lang's career was when he took first prize at Germany's Ettlingen competition for Young Pianists playing Chopin music. That was in 1994 when Lang Lang was 12. The following year, 1995, was possibly the most defining in Lang Lang's young career. He took part in the International Tchaikovsky Competition for Young Musicians, held that year in Sendai, Japan. He was awarded first prize playing Chopin's Second Piano Concerto.

The 200th anniversary of Chopin fell in 2010 and the composer featured even more in Lang Lang's repertoire that year.

The disc comprise all 12 Etudes of the second set of Etudes Op.25 which the young pianist performs with amazing dexterity and expressive power; three hauntingly beautiful Nocturnes; in addition to the already mentioned Grand Valse brilliante, the well known and beloved 'Minute' Waltz; and the glittering Grande Polonaise Brilliante Op.22 preceded by the favorite by the artist Andante Spianato for which he comments: 'it's like a peaceful lake with gentle waves on the surface - it's one of the most beautiful melodies there is to play in the entire piano literature.'

A disc to treasure in your disc collection.
on 17 September 2013
The recipient was highly delighted with the album. She is a long time Lang Lang "fan" and really appreciates the music of Chopin.
on 18 February 2013
There is nothing more to say regarding the talents of " Lang Lang" that has not already been said, his playing is simply
sublime, he plays wonderful music with the hands of a ghost, those magic hands and an ear for music which possibly
will never be surpassed. and what could be better to here than " Chopin ".
His own interpretation of Chopins music is so individual that its like nothing you have heard before, or are likely to here
again, I would recommend this cd without a second thought to anyone, who cannot fail to love it like I do.
on 7 January 2013
If you like your Chopin soft and sentimental then you will like this CD. I did not, played it once and scuttled back to the master - Vladimir Horowitz. I found Lang's passion synthetic and although his playing is technically accomplished, I felt it was omewhat showy. But who am I to say. I cannot play a single note. You decide!
on 29 August 2013
I've been on the fence about Lang Lang for several years but, having bought this album, my mind is made up. He is very talented and his interpretation of Chopin is excellent. As an amateur pianist I find Chopin frustratingly difficult and it sharpens my appreciation when I hear someone play it well, as Lang Lang does. I don't think the heavy rubato detracts from the quality - in fact it almost allows one to see Lang Lang at the piano. I especially like his solo Grande Polonaise - every note is clear and he isn't weighed down with the burden of an orchestra.

So if you prefer Rubenstein or Pollini, please go and buy their recordings. But open your mind a little and Lang Lang will impress you deeply.
on 4 December 2012
As Chopin has for 60 years been my favourite composer and I not only learned a lot of his music when in my teens but have listened to many different pianists playing his compositions. I was quite impressed with Lang Lang as he seemed to put a slightly different slant on some of the pieces. I would rcommend this to anyone. Also the DVD with it is very interesting.
on 6 March 2013
Beautiful, evocative and thoroughly enjoyable. I'd recommend it to all other music lovers who enjoy the piano and this particular version