on 13 May 2013
Fans of Pratchett, Tom Holt, et al, should eat this novel up in one sitting. Witty, bawdy and irreverent, it still manages to make one or two serious points, within a comfortably familiar, yet cheekily skewered fantasy realm! Wraps up briskly and tidily, yet still leaves you wanting more, which is always the best way to have things end, I find. Willis definitely be investigating his other novels too! Pure fun, nothing at all earnest or taxing here, just an unhurried and delectable light lunch for fans of comedy fantasy.
0Comment| 36 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 27 May 2013
This book caught my eye and I am glad it did it was a most enjoyable read that left me wanting to read more by the guy who wrote it. It's very funny; not in the least bit boring and different from the usual fantasy story there are some great twists and the odd serious point. I really began to feel for the main character especially near the end where the story gets more serious.

The world created kept my interest and had enough detail without the need for a large word count, the pace of the story was good yet did not feel rushed, the characters had the required depth and their motivations were understandable. There are some great descriptions and insights into how people are regarded how the elves were described were particularly funny to me as usually they are so respected.

I liked the ending everything was explained, I was sad when I finished reading yet I had a smile. I had to leave a review as this book could be overlooked by bigger books yet it should not be.
VINE VOICEon 30 September 2014
This is quite a clever story and has a humorous approach. Of course everyone's sense of humour is different so I didn't laugh out loud but I enjoyed the book. The story was good, the events amusing and the end was exceptionally good.
The one thing that really did irritate me was that for the first half of the book each chapter alternated between the present and the past when Boric obtains the sword. If anything is calculated to destroy the flow of a story, that is the best way to do it it. If it had not been for that it would have got five stars.
on 31 May 2013
If you are searching for a witty fantasy to read in spare time, without having to think a lot, this is quite sufficient.

On a scale of 1-10 I would give it a 6, possibly a 7 but not higher. It is book with an interesting twist regarding the
main character. The tone of the novel is light and easy to follow. It does compare well to Terry Pratchett but there is
an order of quality difference. Not bad though, not silly or irritating to read.

I would not outright recommend this book but if you have the time and have already read any book by Roger Zelazny many times, and would like to read something light and new, why not this one.
on 29 April 2016
Good story and well written, enjoyable fantasy but not funny. The areas where it tried to be funny were a poor Pratchett knock off. Towards the end the main character started to aquire more depth and where I had spent half the book not caring anything about him or the story it came to life. I feel if the author consentrated on the story and not the humour it could have been really good
on 16 April 2016
I think it is hard to write fantasy books without being derivative of the classic ones this was a reasonable read though I dislike the way the author "jumped" chapters between the present and the past, what's wrong with a chronologically told story? I was little disappointed by the final denouement.
on 2 June 2013
This book was, apparently, released as a serial - people read one episode while the author wrote the next. Perhaps because of this, when the book is read as a whole story, it doesn't quite gel. I wasn't sure whether it was supposed to be a slightly vulgar, good-natured romp (at the beginning) or a serious moral tale of personal growth (by the end). Overall, I quite enjoyed it and would probably buy more by this author, but not if the story was released in episodic format.
on 15 July 2013
It isn't quite what you expect, but a good read for the plane or a sunny afternoon in the garden, it is not a thought provoking book just a yarn, a bit of escapism which doesn't require concentration to read, he manages to bring the characters to life, even the dead ones! but I wouldn't say that it was a page turner and the conclusion is good and not quite expected with a few twists in the plot.
on 21 October 2014
Thoroughly enjoyable and a quick read - great fun to read, in the way that a Terry Pratchett combines fantasy with dark humour. Someone else here wasn't happy about names with so many syllables....er'm presumably you don't mean Toric, Boric or Yoric among those? Highly recommend this as an easy and fun read.
on 10 June 2013
I'm afraid I found this book to be uninspiring and somewhat lacklustre. I was hoping for a sword and sorcery outing that would be amusing but well written in terms of characters and plot but this one fell short in all departments. I suppose it was just too thin on humour and quality in comparison to many of the books I've read in this genre. Not recommended.