on 29 March 2015
Don't write many reviews so please accept my apology for bad grammar etc.

I, like many others, see the Religious as people who have had a calling to become either a Nun, Monk, Priest etc. I've read various books on the lives of the religious and it does make me slightly annoyed when people presume that they go into this life to get away from the outside "life". They want to dedicate their lives to the works of God, Mary, Jesus etc and the books portray them as quiet, unassuming, loyal to whatever branch of Religious life they wish to take.

I have always had the image for Nuns in the black frock, wimple and having their hair cut when taking their first vows to become a Novice. Walking around with their hands under the front part of the habit and being very gentle in their manners.

So reading this book was bloody hard! I couldn't, for a while, paint the picture of one of my type of "Nun" doing this. I have heard of the laundries but not about the orphanages. I spent a good part of the book trying not to cry at the brutality handed out from when they were sent to one of the orphanages until they left.

A very brave book to write.
on 27 July 2013
After all the news scandals, I can only thank God Almighty that we were never subjected as children to such abuse as referred to in this book. I've lived in Catholic institutions where the rules were strictly applied, and us kids were protected. The horror I had to deal with was bullying from my peers, which was never dealt with. To read Ann's story was really awful. I hope somehow, she finds peace.
on 15 June 2014
Another true story of abuse on innocent children by the priests and nuns of the Catholic Church....beaten,starved and raped by priests and nuns in The name of God....These poor children were treated worse than dogs, left with no self worth and no self esteem....If this story dosent make one question the whole concept of The Catholic Church then nothing will.
In the Holy Bible it clearly states that there is no forgiveness for the abuse of little children..so these sickening,sadistic, paedophiles full of their own glory are going to have to answer for their vile acts.
My heart goes out to Ann ....she may think she's worth nothing but she's worth a million of any of her abusers....her bravery in speaking out against this corrupt church is a credit to her and their shrouded silence in any answer to her says it all.
on 11 June 2013
Rivoting book,i could'nt put it down,these people will never be able to forget what happened to them as children and how sad to think these perpretators have got away with this abuse for so many years they should be jailed,the suffering those young people went through does'nt bear thinking about.
on 30 June 2013
An amazing story, based upon sad truths. It is difficult to imagine how cruel and sadistic those who claim to represent God were. The story is through the eyes of an adult who looks into her own sad and often harrowing past.
on 3 September 2013
I found this book to be very interesting but upsetting. I would have like to have read more about Ann's later teenage years, her courtship with her husband and her marriage but this is quickly skimmed over and lacking in detail.
The last 40% of the book goes into great detail about her struggle to make the Catholic Church accountable for the abuse inflicted on her.This was difficult to follow as there were so many references to a great many people l lost track of who was who. The book became tedious for me at this point and l didn't really read the last two chapters as l had lost interest by this point.
on 16 June 2013
I enjoyed this book. But did find it disturbing to think that children were treated that way! Glad that things have changed
on 29 April 2016
Very moving.
How could the nuns and priest damage a child, well children like that.
So many tears fell when I read this book.
I lived in CHCH when that happened. Never realised dreadful things went on behind the fence.
The people that torture these children, seem to get off scot free. Very sad.
on 4 April 2015
Is a sorry to much to ask , well the Catholic church seems to think so . The devil has taken over the church good luck to ann and all who suffered as she did, they never gave up and paved the way for so many to take a stand towards their demons because that's what these sick things are demonic
on 9 December 2013
a great read and very harrowing account of life behind closed doors not only did it show it was not only Ireland that these things happened but was worldwide and good on them for bringing them to justice hope they can get some kind of peace in there lifes