Customer reviews

on 17 January 2013
I have to admit I stumbled upon Matraca Berg as a singer by an indirect route, hearing her Appalachian Rain on the compilation album "Singin' with Emmylou, Volume 2". Loved the haunting lyrics of that song, loved Matraca's voice, and had to hear more of her work. Got her older albums and quite liked them, but it was her two most recent albums that have made her one of my favourite artists. I particularly like the intelligent, poetic imagery of the lyrics in "Love's Truck Stop" that seem to speak out of real life experiences of hurt and loss. The instrumental arrangements are subdued and carry the melody without overwhelming Matraca's soulful voice. Having listened to her recordings I had hoped to see her at a session at the Bluebird when we were in Nashville in October but, alas, it was sold out. Someday, hopefully. In the meantime I look forward to hearing what her next project will be!
on 6 January 2013
Not one of her best albums, and I have got every one of them, but Matraca's voice is always warm and a pleasure to listen to. Even such a great songwriter cannot produce a winner every time. She is pretty close though. And pretty as well !!
2 people found this helpful
on 25 December 2012
Matraca Berg is known as one of Nashville's greatest songwriters, but if you can, listen to her sing 'Lying To The Moon' and you will realise what a truly great singer she is. This album is full of songs you will hear time and time again by other artists, but thanks Matraca for letting us hear the songwriter's version. She does a fantastic job of the Patty Loveless hit 'My Heart Will Never Break This Way Again' and some of the harmony vocals by the likes of Emmylou are an absolute joy to listen to. A MUST for any true Country fan.
on 15 February 2013
This album is just fabulous. If you like real Country music, not just the Nashville brand that passes itself off as such, and excellent songwriting, then this is for you. It even features Emmylou Harris, Matraca's pals Suzy Bogguss and Gretchen Peters, plus her husband on backing vocals. What more can one want?
on 6 December 2013
I discovered Matraca after knowing she wrote (and sang, see youtube) "Back when we were beautiful". For me, a country music fan from Emmylou to Caitlin Rose, Matraca has it all. Why she is not famous as a performer beats me. I will buy anything she records. This is a great album of which "My heart will never break this way again" is devastating.
on 24 August 2013
Superb US country singer's excellent album.

Nashville star Matraca Berg writes and sings great songs of love and heartbreak, and plays
good guitar.

Excellent performance.
on 15 June 2015
excellent
on 27 May 2015
Good voice
on 12 May 2015
Good
|0Comment|Report abuse
on 19 November 2012
Before last week I would have given this 4 but having watched here perform this live last week I now give it 5 as she explained the meaning of most of the songs and why she wrote them which gave the album a whole new meaning. Great.
One person found this helpful