on 3 July 2017
Pure Classic, man! Loves it! I first had this on cassette back in 1984, when I was mostly into classic rock and developing a love of the classical repertoire. It impressed me as I had just set up a costly Systemdek turntable and was starting to take my music very seriously. This, along with the long-awaited "Hats" were the high marks of the Blue Nile's output. The second LP grew on me more over the years, but I love listening to this debut and always stop when this comes on the Scottish radio networks, as it does regularly!

A recent Radio Scotland documentary on the era around this gave an insight into the career of the band, a brooding, mercurial beast, which almost was mythical in Glasgow music history. How the Blue Nile project got off the ground is a story as intense as the drama in the two LPs, The "Hats" project was stalled and trashed, including hours of recordings being burned intentionally after pressure from the powers-that-be behind the production. The "Walk .. " LP was seemingly started after a demo was required by Linn Records, a local HI Fi company who needed well-engineered recordings to show off their legendary Sondek LP12 and other high-end equipment. The truth is not really as legend, just a matter of time and place matching and mainly luck. The result is a classic produced on a budget, with new musicians putting all their soul and energy into the production of a piece of art which cannot really be compared to any other music.

Paul Buchanan is now well-loved, an intense poet of song, dragging lyrics from the depth of his soul and seeming despair. The soundscape here is almost all electronic with a sparse use of guitars, conjuring up urban landscape spaces and sounds like train horns and traffic. So much is conjured up with little instrumentation and less is definitely more with The Blue Nile. Pure, dead brlilliant, man!
4 people found this helpful
on 6 December 2015
Fabulouso !
I just knew all those years ago, when this album was released, there would be absolutely no need to buy this record because at some time (as it turned out, 2015) I would be able to buy this album somehow through (well magic really) something that would not cost me relatively nothing really at todays (2015) prices.
How i wish I had paid the £5 or whatever at the time, more fool me. Surely a cult record from a cult band must be worth waiting for ?
Yes. I have really missed out.. oh well it's never too late I suppose.
Sorry.
Buy.
2 people found this helpful
on 24 May 2012
I first heard 'Tinseltown in the Rain' in May 1985 when I was living in a bedsit in Southsea. I was getting changed to go out to work at Soames Casino and Annie Nightingale played it and I fell in love. It was a great time in my life: newly in love with the woman who was to become my wife, a bit of money in my pocket, a few mates and a bed sit by the sea. Life was good.

And I went out and bought the album and I have never stopped playing it, even after 27 years. I know we make emotional associations and I know that this album will forever be bound up with that glorious summer, but it goes much, much further than that. There are no circumstances under which this does not sound perfect: I am writing this as I am sitting in my classroom taking a break from marking books and it is playing on the lap top and it is still perfect.

I'm going to make a bold statement: this is my favourite album, by anyone, ever. It is rich, diverse, interesting, uplifting, melancholy and satisfying. Every time I listen to it I hear something new. Paul Buchanan's voice is probably the best in modern pop music. Robert Bell's bass acts like a lead instrument and the foundation for PJ Moore's extraordinary synthesized noises. And the lyrics are as engaging as the best novel.

If you haven't heard this, you must.
6 people found this helpful
|11 Comment|Report abuse
on 28 March 2016
Brings back memories that are all good.

Sound is impressive if not a little over cooked and/or engineered, a bit like a Hi-Fi demonstration disc. The Linn connection is likely something to do with this.

Otherwise a good mix with good string and piano sounds with somewhat simplistic arrangements.
The vocal is really not spectacular if we're being honest.

I'm pleased I have re-purchased this album as my vinyl copy went by the wayside some time ago.

Possibly an aquired taste.

A trip down memory lane is always a good thing.
on 9 August 2014
Listening to this album it's almost impossible to believe how old it is and that it was the first Blue Nile album. It sounds so... right. Although it has to be said that it took a few listens before I could fully appreciate just how good this album is.
Whats remarkable is how much better the remastered version sounds when I thought the original was so perfect. Soi if your a music lover and you've never heard of the The Blue Nile, and most people haven't then take a walk across these roof tops you'll love the view. But be sure to look out fior the rest of the albums by The Blue Nile, especially 'Hats' they are all good but wods fail to convey just how magnificent 'Hats' is.
on 24 November 2012
This is a welcome re-release and very nearly perfect. The remastering is wonderful - clear, bright and not too loud - and the artwork well reproduced. The new images are predominantly of NYC; I wondered about this as the album is famous for its celebration of Glasgow. So why the American imagery? Perhaps a clue as to the marketing strategy behind the reissue. The bonus disc contains their first single, "I Love This Life" b/w "Second Act", but the two tracks are oddly split in the running order (it would have made more sense to keep them together). There are remixes of three of the album tracks, designed I imagine to make them sound more modern - the slap bass is taken out, trip hop beats are put in and the piano & strings are muted in favour of a fatter, warmer and more cocktail-bar-friendly sound. This description sounds ghastly but actually the remixes are intelligent and work well. There are also the majestic b side "Regret" and the outtake "St Katherine's Day", excluded from the album only because it didn't gel with the other tracks. It's a lovely song but the version here is I suspect not the one they recorded at the time of the album (which you can find on youtube). It sounds like a later recording - it doesn't say but it could be from the Hats or even later sessions - and, although lacking the raw intensity of the earlier one, it is a lush and passionate rendering that is a little easier to listen to. Maybe that's why they chose it instead.

All in all, highly recommended to both old and new comers to this very special band.
4 people found this helpful
on 12 May 2012
I found this gem after seeing Paul Buchanan on Jools. His voice was so amazing I looked around to see what else he had done. I bought High first which has some beautiful songs on too, especially Toledo and High but somehow I like this more.

I found myself thinking how did I not know about the Blue Nile but somehow they got under my radar!!

I've spent years listening to REM and have not strayed far for many a year but when they dis-banded last year I had to find a replacement for 'that voice'. I think I found 'this voice' instead.

Each track is so well produced and to my ears doesn't sound dated at all. I can't stop playing it and hear something new every time.

The songs are quite individual and I won't give a track by track review except to say that Easter Parade should come with a health warning for anyone feeling the slightest bit sad. I was reduced to floods of tears at the first listening and aim to be lying down on the floor the next time I play it.

If you like a very individual kind of music buy this!!
on 4 June 2011
A witty Edinburgh tour guide once told me that, before going into the building that is, I think, the BOS headquarters you have to be issed with an oxygen mask..... "because it takes your breath away". Blue Nile albums have a similar effect.

I was fortunate enough to be at The Blue Nile's concert at the Bridgewater Hall for the Manchester Festival in 2007. When Paul Buchanan played Tinseltown.... I spontaneously wept out of sheer joy. I can safely say that I can now die happy.

I was introduced to Blue Nile by a Glaswegian muso boyfriend of a fellow student at university in Edinburgh in the 80s. Walk Across the Rooftops is one of the best albums / CDs I own. Simple as that. Sadly under-rated by the masses but oh so appreciated by the initiated. Please please play live again Paul.
2 people found this helpful
on 17 May 2010
... everyone spent some time of their day listening to The Blue Nile.

Sadly the world is split between those who know and love this music, and those that don't. Most of us who do, tend to try to convert the rest with evangelical zeal. However after 20 years of trying, I have come to the conclusion that some things are just too good or too special for some to understand.
I am content now to read other reviewers' (consitently positive) comments' as it confirms to me that I am part of a happy band who has found the best.
There are sadly only 4 albums from the Glasgow gods which quite simply are my 4 favourite albums of all time. The most beautifully crafted, elegantly simple songs ever written.
3 people found this helpful
on 9 June 2016
Another Band that evaded my radar....... So Glad I finally purchased their musical material.
Quality recording. Thank you