Format: Audio CD|Change

on 20 November 2012
To be honest, I'm a little surprised at some of the vitriol in a few of the negative comments. I enjoyed this album, though as is usually the case, some songs more than others. The 'reviewers' (if you can call them that) that trashed the production values of this album, I can only say maybe you need a new sound system.... The first time I listened to this on the stereo in my car, I was more than a little surprised at how good it sounded. The voices sounded strong in most cases and I enjoyed the different sound (to my ears) of the backing music. More of a 'live' feel in many cases. I admit the styling of some of the songs has a more mature (re: earlier era) sound to them, but being an older fan, it just made those songs that much more enjoyable. (I especially enjoyed the doo-wop feel to the lead track. That was fun!) I guess I can only say that IMHO the album may not be their greatest in some people's opinions, but it is Definitely worth a listen to, and I am more than glad I bought it and will be listening to it fairly often this season and into the new year.
on 9 September 2013
This album is a very different sound from STEPS, a more mature sound in all which has a distinct "Festive" feeling to it. It's not the usual POP style we're all used to, but a nice change.

You'll certainly not be bopping around to your ZUMBA Workout with this playing, much more mellow tempo but still worth getting for old fans, and for new fans looking for a nice chill out album.
I'd go as far as to say it's almost "Easy Listening" in Genre!

At this price though you'd be daft not to get it, even if you've never bought a STEPS album before.
on 1 May 2013
I'm going to be honest at first I thought it was good but after listening to it several thousand times :) it is brilliant its not just a Christmas album its for all those hard stressful days at work you can come home put this on and your instantly chilled out!! my favourite has to be ' History is made a night' and ' Light up the world' this one even has a little dance move in it!!! Not a lot to what im used to with steps but it fit the album perfectly! Bring on new music and dance moves!!
on 16 November 2012
I'd heard some negative comments about this before I listened to it, so wasn't sure what to expect, but I really like it! The introduction of the first song starts the album off well. I agree with an earlier review that "When She Loved Me" is an amazing track and deserves five stars in itself. It's a great song for the girls to show off their voices, I think this would work if they wanted to release another single from this album. It's also great that Lee gets a lot of vocals on this album, about time! I'm not sure how well it will work listening to it over the summer though, but for now it's a nice winter warmer to get us in the mood for Christmas.
on 21 November 2012
Got this album the day it came out and cant stop listening to it, its a more grown up sound from steps but i like it, its nice their not just doing all the same thing but cant wait for their next album which they said will be more dance/club sound :)
This is perfect for anyones christmas!!
on 21 January 2013
I've been a big Steps fan since the early days so was very excited by the prospect of a new album. Everything that made Steps what they were seems to be missing from this Christmas cash in. It lacks the fun and sparkle that made Steps such a great pop group. Apart from the lead single there is nothing I would listen to again.
on 24 November 2012
The arrival of Steps fourth album (eleven years on) has been a bit of a surprise in that it has allowed the five members to vocally get up close and personal with the listener...ie: no processed, excessive dubbing (not that there is anything wrong with that for Steps' previous dance pop). This project gives Claire, H, Faye, Lee and Lisa a chance to show what they can do when called upon to simply stand there and sing.. The result is warm and wonderful seventies Carpenter pop mixed with a bit of sixties Motown. Claire,usually the kudos collector for her vocals, is stellar here. Her work on "House is Not Home" and "When She Loved Me" puts one in the mind of a young Barbara Streisand. The true revelation, however is Faye Tozer, whose vocal style is shown to be far more capable of an emotional and powerful performance than she may have shown in earlier Steps tracks... H's seems at the top of his game as well here both in range and agility. Lee's solo "Please Come Home For Christmas" was charming and solid, and Lisa's sincerity and passion still drive her vocals and produce an affecting performance. For some Steps fan, "Light Up the World" overall may be a bit slow paced, but the proof is in the Christmas pudding...should Steps continue well into there 70's (ala the Stones, the Beach Boys)... their vocal talent will carry them well past the synchronized dance moves...
on 12 November 2012
I cannot understand the 1 star review. I have always loved Steps and am so happy that they've made another album. Certainly this is different from their 90's stuff, but then again, it isn't the 90's any more. This is a more grown up and mature sounding Steps, all the girls get main vocals and the guys are right in there too. I hope this is enough of a success and further new material is forthcoming. Love it!!
on 18 November 2012
There is enormous musical snobbery around certain acts in all genres of music, including that Marmite of bands, Steps. Facts is, they can all hold a tune very well (both recorded and live) whilst Claire has the powerful voice, the whole group acquit themselves extremely well on this record. It's a warm and cosy bit of wintry pop, with a few songs that will be unknown but are sung far better than many other current acts, notably on When She Loved Me. The purely Christmas tunes ending the record are perhaps a little safe but ideal fare for a evening gathering or dressing the tree. Steps may not be considered cool, but neither were elbow pads or cord trousers and they are all over the shops again. Welcome back Steps!
on 1 June 2015
I didn't even know this album had come out until I got ut for christmas a few years ago.

Its a brilliant cd, a little different from what they have done before but I love it.

I really hope they do some more new material soon.