on 27 April 2014
Because I for 20 years ago discovered meta physic and quantum physic have the same behavior pattern, and the technical words can just be translate from one subject to an other this wonderful book was just the icing on the cake. I do wish I could come into the contact with the author. If there are anything you can do to help, please be in touch
on 1 August 2017
This is an excellent edition. It contains a thorough discussion of the history and significance
of the Higgs boson. In addition it gives a broad survey of other fundamental particles.
I cannot think of a better source of information on the Higgs for students and readers with
a more than passing interest in science.
on 12 July 2014
An excellent read though I found it heavy going, mainly I suspect because of my failing memory these days.
I'm reading it as we travel around the UK and Europe in our camper so I find it very pleasant to read in the sunshine with a glass of wine.
Thoroughly recommended for the non-specialist wishing to keep up with or refresh general knowledge of sub-atomic physics. No mathematics needed.
on 17 July 2016
Makes a very technical subject come alive. Great moment for nuclear physics but like all new discoverys opens the door to a whole new set of theories.
on 5 April 2014
The story of detecting the Higgs particle by LHC is told through previous articles in Scientific American anticipating the announcement. A good introduction to Standard Model and the importance of Higgs Mechanism. I highly recommend this special issue.
on 7 April 2014
This is a good description of the state of the art, even though it was written some time ago. It is reasonably well written but it is often hard to follow the structure . There seem to be issues and explanations introduced without a clear explanation of why they are relevant.
on 21 June 2014
Starts okay but why oh why must we always be subjected to the history of quantum physics?
Would not buy again
on 4 January 2014
A collection of beautifully written articles from the paper and on line editions. Is it holiday reading? Yes I couldn't put it down.
on 14 January 2014
I am still trying to convert it to PDF so i can print it out and read at leisure. I can't standle the kindle book reader and that is why i don't own one.
on 26 May 2014
This collection has made sense of the hype in a clear and readable fashion.
Some level of scientific knowledge is a requisite,to keep up!
The material explains the Physics and leaves one wondering at the co-operation and fascinating technology required to realise the Hadron Collider at CERN.
The infighting between Theorists is a light releif!!
Already downloaded the next volume.
The figures are a problem as the Kindle won't magnify the notation!! Embarrassing to have to use a magnifying loupe,still have to accept this when stricken in years!!
Gilbertmuir1@msn.com