Shop now Learn More Shop now Learn more Click Here Shop Kindle Amazon Music Unlimited for Family Shop now Shop Women's Shop Men's Learn more Shop now Learn more Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now

on 26 April 2013
Hi all, I drive a lorry for a local builders merchant, I've had quite a few near isses by people pulling out in front of me, cut up by overtaking cars etc. so thought it would be a good idea to get a dashcam, At least if an accident should happen then it's no longer his word against mine I've got footage to back me up. I went for the Smartcam 2 due to it's price and the fact it hss a flip down screen so you can set it up in the right position in the car and see exactly what you are recording. When I first received the camera I was not impressed at all. It would keep turning itself off randomly at any time from 10 seconds to 10 mins, the device that was to help me the case of an accident was turning out to be a device that would cause the accident by me keeping an eye on it to make sure it was still recording and then me having to lean over to switch it back on again.
Now the embarrassing bit, like some of the others in here ( I doubt they would ever admit it ) when I ordered the dashcam I made the mistake of ordering the 32gb ultra sd card instead of the extreme, I thought 32gb class 10 and it's cheaper, it must work. No it does not work, this is due to the ultra only having a writing speed of up to 30mb per sec so can't write the information quick enough, that is why it keeps switching itself off. I've now swopped it for the extreme, this has a writing speed of up to 45mb per sec and now the smartcam works like a dream. The picture quality is good, plenty of basic features, it does what it says on the tin very well. My only gripe is the fact you can't flip the picture, due to laws, company policy, blah, blah, blah I can't have anything attached to the windscreen, so I've had to attach it to the dashboard so the camera is upside down.
So far a good and usefull dashcam for the money - just MAKE SURE YOU BUY THE EXTREME SD CARD.
UPDATE... I've been using the camera in my lorry for 2 1/2 years. I turn it on at 7.30 am when I start work and turn it off at 5 pm. the only problems I've had are the power adaptor packed up after a week, could be due to being on all day and running on a 24v system. purchased a good quality usb adapter and lead and had no problems since. Also, the internal battery no longer holds it charge overnight so I have to set the date and time every morning. very minor problems considering the amount of hours its used. still works perfectly.
22 Comments| 76 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 23 February 2013
I have had camera for a week and all was excellent, picture quality was fantasticI I use this for my driving school but now it keeps turning off at any given time have tried new cards and a reset but to no availe will send back to supplier and try another.
99 Comments| 7 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 3 January 2013
like most people who buy these things, I've witnessed some crazy antics on the roads and want to be able to cover myself if I end up getting bished, bashed, or indeed boshed by another driver.

The good:

Very quick delivery.
Camera works as advertised.

The bad:

Neither of the provided cables worked. I couldn't charge the cam or connect to my laptop . Luckily, I have spare mini USB cables that work fine with the cam so its not a showstopper, but to say I was unimpressed was an understatement!

So, 3 stars for delivery and cam, but no more due to unserviceable cables.
11 Comment| 27 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 10 April 2014
Warning: Read as follows.

I purchased this device a few weeks ago – together with a SanDisk 32gig Extreme card.

Put both together and set off for a test drive. Twenty minutes later back at the computer and switched on to watch evidence of the drive. All was not well – the image seemed more than reasonable but the actual motion was running at approximately 50% (slow motion) and no sound !

So, totally confused I needed to establish which of the items was to fault – do I send the Smartcam back – believing it was perhaps more likely to be at fault – or the SanDisk.

I did neither – so kept on trying various settings on the Smartcam – in the hope that it would suddenly or eventually work.

Without knowing which had the fault – I felt more than reluctant to return the goods and thereafter end in dispute with the supplier.

However wisdom arrived after several days – I looked at the necessary speeds (of SanDisk and Smartcam) and to my disbelief I realised that the was my computer - it was using and was fitted with USB 1(s)

Changed to a newer computer with USB 2(s) and (3) – lo and behold the problem was fixed and worked perfectly !

I write this comment in case some other purchaser experiences the same problem – I also consider that there should be some sort of instruction with the Smartcam – recommending that only USB 2 or later units are fitted.

I do wonder just how many devices are returned with the outlined ‘problem’

Now comment about the Smartcam: Brilliant and well worth the money.
on 9 February 2013
excellent picture quality
manual leaves a lot to be desired
contacted manufacturer and the e mailed me a much better manual explaining how all aspects of using the camera
mounting bracket let down this product
33 Comments| 17 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 14 June 2013
Great little camera, clear view of road ahead and captures clearly everything that needs to be recorded. Please note... Only compatible with Extreme SDCards UP TO 32 Gb, I tried to be smart a purchased a larger memory card and soon realised it wasn't compatible, Amazon were fab and changed it hassle free!! Highly recommended car cam does what it says on the tin.
on 9 February 2013
Got the camera for my car 2 weeks ago to make my insurance cheaper but was pleasantly surprised at the excellent quality of the product. Thanks
on 25 August 2013
The camera worked straight out of the box and when a storage card was inserted if automatically stored on that. I liked the ability to overwrite video every few minutes. necessary on long journeys. The audio function worked well although it picked up every noise around and I turned it off. The various settings that could be made must surely suit everyone when in use and can be set and altered when needed. The video output was very clear and even compensated for the car movement on a bumpy road. Transfer of video/sound to computer was via the usb lead or by removing the storage card and using another connection for it. This type of device is gaining in popularity and this one will help the trend as it is very good all round and I have found no problems with it.
on 22 April 2013
The Smartcam 2 is a fantastic device but is not compatible with the Sandisk Ultra SD card, use the Sandisk Extreme Class 10 instead.

The Sandisk Ultra will cause the Smartcam to switch on and off and stop recording randomly.

It works perfectly with the Sandisk Extreme Class 10 SD Card.
on 12 June 2013
This promised to be a good camera however both the first one and the replacement were faulty. By setting the "Loop" to off the camera was supposed to record continuos while ignition on but, they both would only record for inconsistent times of 30 seconds, 2, 3, or at the most 9 minutes. Amazon issued me with a refund and told me they had placed this product on hold,