on 7 January 2018
Really disappointed - gave this as a present and when it was opened the presentation box inside was torn and the bottles had come out. Not what I expected!
review image
on 17 July 2016
I first bought some of this after my mother had been banging on about it and asked for it for Christmas. I then bought some to try for myself. After a small transaction hiccup that was quickly and professionally resolved by Truffle Hunter, I got to taste this for the first time last night. So... bear in mind I've never tasted truffle before. I eat a very clean diet, follow my macros etc, so I have a fairly conservative taste: Chicken and vegetables mostly. I dabbed the smallest amount of this oil onto some chicken and the taste was... completely transformed. It's like NOTHING I've ever tasted before, and I really like it. I put some more on the rest of the chicken, and it was delicious. Having developed a taste for it, I went looking for other things to try it with. I tried some on a peice of protein cheese. Again: Amazing. It's a taste sensation. Tonight I'm going to bake some fresh bread and try it on that, maybe with some butter. I want to try it as a salad dressing, drizzled on a pizza... popcorn... I'm going to need to buy more of this. So my point is that it's a great product, I just need to work out a way to not get fat and bankrupt!

<Added a few months later> So.... what are they hiding? Well, I got curious about the tiny fragment of truffle floating in the oil. Is that really enough to impart all that amazing flavour? Their website claims that 'Our passion is sourcing the best quality fresh truffles, from the best locations, so that we can sell them directly to you', and 'all of our truffle products are produced in small batches at our Cotswold base'... so I asked them about the mysterious 'Truffle Flavour' they mention on the ingredients. They emailed straight back to say that they 'use a nature identical product'. I asked some more specific questions, to which they haven't replied, but some further probing reveals that the flavouring used in truffle oil is '2,4-Dithiapentane', which is the 'dimethyldithioacetal of formaldehyde, prepared by the acid-catalyzed addition of methyl mercaptan to formaldehyde' (Source: Wikipedia). Doesn't sound like the 'fresh truffle products, produced in small batches' that they would have you believe you're buying. Not something you would find growing in a country forest and cook up with fresh ingredients in a farmhouse kitchen, but something that a scientist in a white coat synthesises in an industrial laboratory... But I stand by my original paragraph - the bottom line is still that IT'S DELICIOUS AND REASONABLY PRICED.
on 26 January 2018
Does not taste or smell like truffles. Has a slight gasoline/petrol taste
22 Comments|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 3 November 2017
Smells and tastes like gasoline. Even in small amounts applied to food (couple drops). Not sure if I received a bad batch, but all of them are going in the bin.
on 25 May 2016
My first Amazon review (i never normally bother but this stuff is delicious)

If I won the lottery I'd buy a fleet of truffle dogs and roam the Italian countryside. As that remains an unlikely possibility I have found a very close second best. As a self confessed truffle fiend I have tried all of the 'truffle' offerings in the supermarkets and they are all very bland, artificial disappointments. These oils on the other hand are pungent truffle grenades which pack one help of a punch. I use these in cooking (risotto, pasta etc) but my guilty pleasure is fresh white crusty bread drizzled in this oil and sprinkled in sea salt and black pepper... I cannot understate how RIDICULOUSLY tasty this is! The black is my favourite as it is super rich, but all are delicious.

Ps. Dear Truffle Hunter, if you ever need a taste tester/ quality control person, please give me a call (PLEASE!)
11 Comment| 41 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 11 November 2017
This is synthetic truffle oil. Very medicinal taste and all three taste exactly the same. It seemed too good to be true so not I'm surprised.
on 1 February 2018
Well okay, these are tasty and smell great. The product itself is good value relative to some others out there and makes a nice gift.

One star knocked off though just because after eating so much truffle oil since receiving it, I realise that truffle oil (at least this style with the flavouring in - can't comment about genuine truffles because I'm poor) is pretty hard to digest. I love it but I'm always left feeling like I just coated my pasta in flavoured paraffin or something. A weird sensation it's hard to pin down, but not this product's fault specifically.
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 12 November 2017
Tastes artificial.
on 17 February 2018
I bought a bottle of Truffle Hunter white oil a few years ago and the deli that sold it closed and ive been eeking the dwindlng supply out since with no other local suppliers in evidence. It occured to me to check Amazon and I was very pleased to see the box of three direct from the supplier available at a very tempting price, now sitting on my shelf with the almost empty original bottle being used more lavishly! Lovely flavour and adds character to all sorts of dishes.
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 22 April 2016
The product is very very good.

The smell and taste are brilliant to me! Tastes and senses are subjective. So I won't go into that.
Excellent unboxing experience, excellent smell and exquisite product packaging (i.e. bottles and labelling)!

4/5 as I experience 2 tiny setbacks. One was a bit of paper waste in the box, and the other a tiny bit of spillage !
review imagereview imagereview image