on 31 March 2015
How to review something I originally bought back in 1987? Let's start with something negative, eh? ;) Well actually I remembered the intro on the opening remix track of Lessons In Love had been missed off (it was all present and correct on the cassette - just the same as the 12" single I own) but that's the only thing that is at fault here. And if you've only heard it on here, you probably couldn't tell there's anything amiss.

Some might say that it was a bit pointless including 'standard' versions of the tracks already existing on the original RITF album but it's always good to hear them, I think and don't mind them being here at all (it also includes the bonus Freedom Someday, on the original CD and not the LP.) The remixes are all as brilliant as when I first heard them and I still have most of the 12" singles of them, plus many more besides. For what you're going to pay for this these days, it's *almost* essential... not so it you're not into remixes but if you're into Level 42 then it's very likely you are anyway! A slightly better approach (like perhaps getting someone to remix the non-remix tracks, back in the day... and there was a great remix of Children Say but if I remember right, it wasn't released until after this) and the absence of the mastering error at the beginning of the disc leads me to giving it only 4/5.

And by the way, the sound quality on here (and all the original 80s Polydor Level 42 CDs) is incredible - so that is a very good reason to have this in your collection.
on 28 January 2015
With 5 hit singles including the title track, 'Lessons In Love' and the gorgeous ballad 'It's Over', this was assuredly one of the most enjoyable albums of the 1980s. 2 of the other 3 main tracks are definitely worthy of mention here ~ 'Two Solitudes', featuring lovely vocals from Mike Lindup, is my favourite track here and 'The Sleepwalkers', which closes the vinyl version of this LP, is very classy indeed. Level 42 aficionardos will no doubt tell you that this is not the band's finest hour but, in my opinion, this is a well-executed project and Mark King's funky bass playing and distinctive vocal style are always worth listening to.
One person found this helpful
on 28 November 2017
Fantastic.
on 23 December 2014
Arrived very quickly, I am a BIG BIG Level 42 fan,having seen them a couple of times in concert this year, listen to this several times a day all the way through (usually have to skip tracks on other cds, but not this one, listen to them all !), absolutely love it, would highly recommend, won't ever get bored of listening to this
on 11 November 2014
Bought this in a fit of nostalgia as I only ever had a copy on cassette tape; that's right, tape, kids. Just as melodic and rhythmic as I remember, with intricate but accessible arrangments. Well worth getting. They were at the top of their pop game here, so it's such a shame they split up after it. I think...
on 14 September 2016
Level 42 classic sound !
on 24 October 2015
Awesome. Takes me back 20 odd years. Bargain price delivered followed day.
on 18 May 2015
I already have the LP of this album, just thought having the CD as well would be great.
on 2 April 2016
Fond memories of younger days - this band developed their very own sound, with of course the amazing bass playing of Mark King to the fore.
on 21 March 2016