Customer reviews

Advent at Merton
Format: Audio CD|Change

on 28 March 2016
Excellent product. Great music and the CD is in good,'nick.'! The price is right too.
on 30 November 2012
What an interesting progam, every bit of music is worth discovering ! Such beautiful music and perfectly sung ! A real gem !
on 2 December 2013
This was given to me and my wife as a Christmas present in 2012. It helps bring you into union with the cosmic living God. We especially liked the Advent Antiphon and I played this to her as she drew her last breath in the hospice in October 2013. It was then played again in church, at her Thanksgiving service.
on 3 December 2013
The first effect is of a highly atmospheric sound. We feel we are in a very special place. I have never been to Merton, but now I am longing to be there and be part of a service there..

Then there is the music, which is superbly performed throughout. Also the range of the music - all, of course related to the spirit of Advent, but most of it new to me. Just one tune - "Es ist ein Ros entsprungen" - keeps reappearing in different forms giving the whole sequence a most pleasing sense of unity. But it is the originality and excitement that most grips me

I believe that the Merton Choir has only in recent years come to prominence in Oxford, under the inspired leadership of Benjamin Nicholas and Peter Phillips, and they have already created a wonderful Choir.

I shall play this CD every day throughout Advent. It is a magical disc.
on 9 February 2013
This is a relatively new choir but you would not think so from the professional interpretation of the music, the blend of the voices and the beutiful tone produced. An excellent recording and I strongly recommend that you buy it, not just for yourself, but for your friends.
on 1 February 2013
An excellently produced CD with very good arrangements of old carols and some new beautifully sung - highly recommended to all church musucians
on 15 March 2013
Well worth buying, and not just for old Mertonians!
Some lovely music, beautifully sung - well worth buying I would have thought
on 28 January 2013
Bit of a disappointment, to be honest. I was persuaded to buy this after hearing Sandström's setting of 'Es ist ein Ros entsprungen' on BBC Radio 3 as part of the pre-Christmas riot of Xmas carol CD sampling. This setting is, I have to say, divine: if I believed in God (which I don't) I think it would certainly confirm me in my faith. Unfortunately, little of the rest of the CD came anywhere near that quality of inspiration. For example, 'Es ist ein Ros..' is really milked for all it's worth. There is also an English version on the CD, that I'm afraid I found rather trite, plus an organ version that I found dire, but then I've never been a fan of organ music. The quality of the choir is, however, consistently very high: the diction is wonderfully clear, the musical verve is very refreshing and there is a great confidence and sparkle overall. I'll just have to find a CD of theirs that has more music on it that I enjoy.
on 23 December 2016
This is a present for my son who has heard it and says it is beautiful.
on 30 July 2015