on 5 April 2017
I am a novice and there is a lot of info so I read it all and went back to the parts I want to investigate further.

I thought it was a great book for the beginner
on 16 September 2013
For a near novice to wine this was a great buy. It gives a comprehensive guide to, as it says in the title, everything the novice wine lover needs to know in a clear, concise and non-patronising way. After reading I feel much more informed and relatively confident when browsing the wine shelf (and even enough to venture into a wine merchants). The 'ones to watch out for' notes have been particularly useful.
The only downside regards the kindle edition, it's a book to flick through and come back to certain parts which is difficult with the kindle edition. As with the Bluffer's Guide to Wine, I would recommend the paper edition of this.
on 8 May 2015
I'll start by basically saying I am a sommelier at a two Michelin star restaurant. The pocket wine guide is a great way for myself to refresh my memory and do some light reading. Hugh Johnson's wine atlas is incredible and irreplaceable, but I imagine that this book will be a great place to start for someone taking their first steps into the world of wine, or indeed, suitable for professionals looking for a light read.
on 21 November 2016
It is basic, but introduces you to some of the basic wine terms and varieties of wine. Don't buy it if you want an encyclopaedia on wine. Weirdly mine came with two pages missing - not torn out, just not bound into the book.
on 12 January 2014
Bought for my daughter's partner on his 30th birthday. He was happy with it especially as it was bought in conjunction with a 'Wine tasting voucher.
on 23 November 2013
Not as in depth as I'd have liked but perfect if one needs an introduction to wine terminology and grape varieties.
One person found this helpful
on 10 June 2010
I bought this book for my son who has started to take an interest in wine. He has found it extremely helpful as it's the sort of book he can dip in and out of whenever he wants to find a wealth of information on specific wine topics.
on 22 August 2013
The book is well structured and detailed, but because there is so much that deciding which wines to try and which you would like best can be a little convoluted, it could do with a more conclusive outlook rather than the world is your oyster try them all.
on 21 January 2015
Bought as a present for son who has found it useful
on 26 December 2015