on 14 March 2017
I bought this to replace my previous optical drive which was the previous model of the same, I find they just work. It works well for me, I didn't even need a firmware update. Doesn't make that whirring noise some of them have.
on 15 June 2017
Good writer, another one of the components that i bought when rebuilding my computer back in 2013.
on 21 April 2017
Cheap and cheerful but great quality. No complaints.
on 20 January 2013
I'll be honest - Who even uses DVDs anymore? You use a DVD drive once or twice when installing Windows and then never use it again in most cases, I used this to install Windows on my gaming PC. Did the job just fine.
on 16 April 2016
Works well
on 9 February 2016
sent back
on 3 February 2015
Works perfectly and very easy to install, can't say much really, other than worth its pricing.
on 22 April 2017
Does what I expect it to do
on 25 October 2013
Purchased this as a replacement for suspect drive in a Sun Ultra 24 workstation.

Came quicker than expected, along with 7 other non-electronic items all in one box. Pleasantly surprised.

Packaging for the whole lot was just about right. The DVD drive itself came in a plain cardboard box. Easy to open. No cables, no freebie software. Just what I wanted, no waste, less to dispose of.

Worked straight of the box. No complaints about fitting, operation, noise or speed. Perhaps not the quietest drive available but that is low on my list of priorities.

Oh, and don't be confused about it being 'half-height'. That is the "normal" height for desktops and the like. But you always check the dimensions, don't you?
I've used this drive for some recent PC builds. As all new drives this is a SATA one.
As others have pointed out this model does not support "smart erase" (which can securely over write discs to prevent data recovery)
That's not a huge loss, as disc media is fairly easy to destroy. If you want that feature and others like disclabel and lightscribe, then LiteOn do slightly more expensive models that support those features

The drive is shorter than some offerings meaning it will fit in most cases without any issues.
General spec is in line with DVD burners 24x is only supported with some media, I rarely burn above 16x anyway

- CD/CD-R/CD-ROM burn/read speeds are 48x
- CD-RW 24x
- DVD+R DL & DVD-R DL burn at 8x speed
- DVD-RAM is 6x
- DVD-ROM reads at 16x max

LiteOn do update the firmware from time to time (on various models), so check their site. I have never needed to update firmware
To date I've not had any probelms with these for my pc builds, they are fairly quiet (the LG's are possibly even quieter) and so far have been reliable with a good variety of media (I tend to use Verbatim discs DVD and CD)

At this price it's not worth pondering too much on DVD burner choices, these drives are cheap as chips nowadays and most of the ones on the market are of decent quality (LG, Samsung etc etc)
Recommended as a general drive, if you want more features then hunt around. For a standard drive this is a good offering