1,149
Format: Personal Care|Change

on 14 August 2009
After having a failed Waterpik unit and seeing on forums that there were issues about reliability I saw the Panasonic unit and figured I couldn't go wrong with a well known brand. I wasn't disappointed as it is well made, robust and has a non contact charging device (the Waterpik device I had is known for corrosion due to it's connection).
The 3 pressure settings on this unit are useful and I cannot find any fault with it. I would recommend it and would also advise you think carefully about the cheaper units of this kind on the market.
Last thing, have always had problems flossing and cleaning between the teeth and this unit is not just easier and quicker, but cleans to a level between teeth and around gum lines I didn't find possible before.
55 comments| 552 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 23 September 2012
I am a dentist and I am using the product myself. It can not replace the flossing (there is always something after), but it is far better than no interdental cleaning. A must for braces, bridgework, implants, gingivitis/periodontitis!
22 comments| 171 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 29 September 2011
First, the size. This is quite a large item - it has to be, to accommodate the water reservoir. So it is not really suitable for travelling (or, for that matter, for anyone with very small hands).

How well does it do its job, though? The answer is, very well - even on the standard setting, it blasts particles of food out of tooth crevices where they have lodged. And your mouth feels fresh afterwards. All very satisfying. There are a couple of reservations, though. First, the reservoir only just holds enough water for once round the mouth (though you can of course refill it in the course of a clean). A bigger problem is that the irrigator does not remove the plaque that brushing leaves. After 2-3 days use of the irrigator (but no other post-brushing steps), an interdental cleaning exercise is likely to find quite a bit of plaque. My dentist explained that the stickiness of plaque means that irrigators will not remove it, and this is indeed what I have found.

Given that this device does not provide a complete post-brushing solution, can it be recommended? Yes, provided you also have an interdental cleaning strategy for removing plaque. Oh, and if you decide to get it, be sure to follow the advice of the instructions to use tepid or warm water. Cold water will be a shock!

UPDATE - Feb 2013.

This product is even more useful than I had thought. Having recently started using the very effective TePe TePe Interdental Brush Yellow 0.7mm Pack of 8 (and a couple of other sizes), I notice that this irrigator still finds bits to remove after TePe use! So it really does deserve the full five stars.

UPDATE - Apr 2015.

The battery seems to have reached the end of its life, no longer holding much charge. As the same model of irrigator is still available, I have bought a new one and look forward to the same length of service.
22 comments| 226 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 6 January 2016
Having used the Philips airfloss before I decided to give this a try (broke the Philips by accident). The first thing that struck me about this was the size; it's huge and not something I would say is particularly easy to hold and move around which isn't ideal when trying to clean your mouth. I also found that it continually sprays so while you try to clean your teeth you run the risk of spraying outside of your mouth and onto your face which as you can imagine is annoying. I gave up using this after a few tries and purchased another Philips airfloss which is much smaller and also allows you to use mouthwash instead of water and also has a much smaller charging unit
I try to research products quite carefully before I buy them. I bought this for my girlfriend who was advised by the dentist to floss but she did not find the process very nice.

As we see it these are the pros and cons of the Panasonic EW1211;

Pros

- Well made - comes with two nozzles and storage for the second nozzle in the base.
- Footprint only marginally bigger than some powered toothbrushes.
- No exposed contacts, the charging base and unit itself are "contactless" and battery life is good.
- Easy to hold - not too big and the water reservoir gives around 35 seconds of use - two fills is normally enough to do a full "irrigation". (With all these devices the "balancing act" is the size of the reservoir v. keeping it comfortable to hold and 35 seconds is an average run time).
- Three settings - Jet (water only); Normal/Soft (these two settings mix air with the water). The unit remembers the last setting and applies it the next time you use the device unless you alter it.
- The water filler door is made so it comes off if stressed and can be pushed back into place rather than breaking.
- Your mouth feels very fresh and clean after using the EW1211 - it does genuinely feel like having got out of the dentist's chair albeit without any of the accompanying nerves!

Cons

- The red LED battery charging indicator doesn't go out or turn green when charging is complete. Also, there is no battery remaining indicator.
- Initially, the unit can be a bit daunting but, once you use it, it becomes quite routine.
- Manufacturer could have included a travel case.
- Nothing else so far.

Hint

If you have sensitive teeth/gums try using warm water in the EW1211 or brushing your teeth with "sensitive" toothpaste before use.

Overall, an effective irrigator from a reliable brand that is easy to use and well made. Recommended.
44 comments| 43 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 23 August 2009
I second M Chang's review. I too have just given up on Waterpik after three failures and the Panasonic so far is superior in every respect. The build quality, noise and power are all better. The first charge has just run out after more than two weeks, the Waterpik lasted a few days at best. In addition, the instructions show how to take out the rechargable batteries when they eventually fail (as all will at some point) which means new ones can be inserted. The Waterpik is sealed and inevitably ends up in land-fill.

My only negative would be the size of the tank - two fills are necessesary for each clean but this isn't a big issue.

Worth the extra cost over Waterpik without a doubt and you will get back your money on reduced trips to your hygienist.
11 comment| 126 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 30 January 2016
Bought this water flosser to replace a Waterpik which served me well for a couple of years but ran out of power in the end. The Panasonic feels like a better product in terms of the design, it is a high quality product. It has 3 power settings rather than 2. I use this flosser every morning and evening and since the first charge, it has lasted 6 weeks - very impressive. The only area in which the Waterpik has an advantage is the size of the water reservoir but I do not see this as a real issue, normally I do not have to refill during flossing. I would highly recommend this product.
review image review image
on 11 May 2010
Really good product, the storage of the water is quite small but works really well
on 28 October 2009
Having used an oral spray for a number of years, the one continual grype from my wife has been the amount of space that the Kitty product takes up in the bathroom. I have dental implants and the use of a spray seems far more effective than the various brushes on offer. My dentist has given my cleaning regime the thumbs up - he was unable to fault the level of cleanliness at my last appointment.

I therefore feel uncomfortable when not able to spray, and the Kitty is not a portable device. I therefore decided to buy the Panasonic EW1211 based on other reviews for use when away. Suffice it to say that the Kitty has now been replaced by the Panasonic for daily use as well as travel, and I have just returned from a 4 day trip on which I used the Panasonic 2 or 3 times every day without a recharge.

The tank does need refilling several times, but the device would be too cumbersome if the tank were any larger. I have had the Panasonic for approximately 2 months and am very impressed.
44 comments| 152 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 16 September 2009
I'm thoroughly impressed with this product. I had a Waterpik before but the battery died on it after 14 months. This costs a little more but it has a lot more features and is a pleasure to use.