on 27 April 2017
I have always been a fan of Logitech remotes, having previously owned the Harmony 1000 I decided to update to the Touch.

It's great and controls my entire home media system (need to buy the Hub for my IOT devices). It's comfortable and can stand a beating since my 20-month-old son likes to throw it across the room and it still works. The only downside is locking the remote (so my son can't change channels) is a bit of a hassle. It also only seems to actually lock the physical buttons when the screen is showing it's locked. When the screen goes blank the physical buttons are active again.

Other than that it's a great piece of kit and a welcome addition to any home media center.
Great remote, even got the wife's approval after showing her how easy it is to use.

I've got several devices in my setup with a hdmi switch so this is a god send.

Setup is fairly simple via the online browser based app.

Found every device inc my hdmi switch so no custom adding needed.

Real shame it doesn't work with my Harmony Link 😡.

Meaning I prob going to add a Harmony Hub so got RF functions & app use.
on 13 June 2016
I think you need to know what you are doing to fully appreciate how good this remote is. Mine is now programmed to watch Sky, TV, Humax Box, DVD Player, Smart TV and Fire stick.
on 4 April 2013
I have been using a Logitech Harmony 700 Remote for over a year to control my 6 Device Hi-Fi system. It has performed superbly during this time and the build quality is excellent. As I intend to add other equipment to my Hi-Fi system, I will require a Remote that exceeds the 6 Device barrier of the H-700. I decided to go for the Logitech Harmony Touch which I purchased from Amazon for a really great price.

The H-Touch needs to be programmed using Online Harmony Software and requires setting up an Account with Logitech which is straightforward. The Software is really easy to use and most will find all their Hi-Fi equipment from the Huge Logitech Database. What is important is to write out a list of all Devices including Make, Type, Model Number and Input / Output details you intend to control. This is a MUST before using the Harmony Software as it will help program the H-Touch with the correct information/choices and save you time in the long run as recommended by Logitech.

Once Synced all your Devices and Activities are copied to the H-Touch. I did have to assign my PVR Library Command to the DVR Hard Button as this had been, for some reason, left unassigned. Having completed the programming and fine tuning of my H-Touch, I found everything was working perfectly.

However, the H-Touch is not perfect, lacking features which are present on the H-700 like motion sensors. This really cool feature on the H-700 means it wakes up when picked up. The Touch has to be awakened by tapping the screen or pressing a button which is not as cool. On the H-Touch, selecting Activities is done by swiping the screen to the right but does not wrap. So when you reach the last Activity Page you have to swipe left to get back to previous Activities. It would be nice to think that Logitech could sort this out with a Firmware Update. The touch screen has a nice clear view with swiping being responsive and quick whilst offering basic UDLRT Gestures which I don't use and a user selectable onscreen Number keypad.

Favourite Channel icons are displayed 9 at a time. Vertical swiping allows you to see the rest up to a maximum of 50 including Radio Channel icons. Favourites can only be assigned to one Prime Watch Device such as your PVR or TV. The H-700 allows separate Favourite Channel icons on both my PVR and TV Devices albeit only 23 for each. I agree with other reviewers that the placement of the Transport buttons would have been better sited below the touch screen. The H-Touch does come with a nice Charging Base Unit, placement in which, should keep the H-Touch fully charged and ready to go whenever required.

A nice feature of the H-Touch is the ability to re-order the Favourite Channel icons and Activities without the need to connect to a computer. Customisable options are also available via Settings Activity which allows changing the background colour scheme, Brightness and Activity Icons to name but a few.

Something that has annoyed me is the re-chargeable battery inside the H-Touch can be removed but according to the Logitech website the removed battery cannot be replaced with a new one. So when the battery fails to hold its charge it seems that Logitech expect you to throw the Battery and H-Touch away in accordance with Local Laws. The question is how long can the H-Touch battery last for? I hope many years but seems outrageous that I may have to dispose of this Remote for the sake of a replacement battery after a couple of years (Remote comes with 2 year Warranty). I find it hard to believe that Logitech will not stock a battery for this remote. Perhaps I have misunderstood what I have read on the Logitech website. I have Remotes which came with equipment that are 20 years old and still work fine.

I think the Logitech Harmony Touch is a Great Universal Remote which does nearly everything I want it to.

However the battery issue is a real disappointment and for this reason I can only award a 4 Star rating and hope I am wrong about the Battery situation.

********
UPDATE EDIT
I have contacted Logitech who tell me the battery Life in the Harmony Touch with heavy usage will be at least 2 years.
Logitech also state the battery cannot be replaced with another because, "It is a design choice that Logitech made and the battery is made to last as long as the Logitech Harmony Touch remote".

Sounds to me like a really expensive disposable Remote so enjoy it whilst you can.
on 30 October 2017
needs to have number key pads! - wish i'd paid a bit more and bought the later version with numbers key pads on - surprising how many times i've needed to enter my pin since purchasing this - making it a real pain
on 8 June 2014
Well made. Key smaller than my old One so takes a bit of practice to use it after a few beers, in the dark! My whole family can use it so meets the basic test criteria. Accelerometer would have been nice and a bigger replacable battery but all told I am happy
on 5 May 2015
Need to know what you doing of its a long set up process
on 16 May 2015
Only qualm is I didn't purchase this in the pack with the hub and remote blasters included. I had to buy that separately due to some devices not receiving the remote signal, which ended up costing more. Otherwise, this is an awesome remote.
on 7 August 2014
This review is the for the Logitech Harmony touch Remote control. This is the package that contains the remote unit only.

When I was originally shopping around for remotes, I was looking for a remote that would:
1. Allow me to replace multiple remotes strewn across the coffee table
2. Allow my other half to use our entertainment system without my help

Percentage-wise, the Logitech Harmony Touch achieves this as follows:

Using default Logitech setup 40%
Once you edit buttons and add macros: 70%
Once you add a Harmony Hub: 99%

First things first, it's a quality product. The look and feel is good. The weight distribution front to back is also correct. Its styling is conservative and restrained. It's a league above the One4All type remotes that are out there.

Out of the box, it obviously doesn't do anything; it needs setting up using the Harmony software so it can learn the InfraRed commands that work with your particular devices. Your PC needs to have the .Net framework and Silverlight installed to use the Harmony software. My ageing Windows 7 64-bit laptop already had both so I was able to install it straight away.

Tips for setting up the remote:

1. Be exact about model names. "Samsung D5500 series" was the option I first selected for my Samsung D5520 television. Lots of buttons were wrong or didn't work. I finally realised this and deleted the TV and added it again, this time using the exact model number UE40D5520RKXXU.

2. Look carefully at the button assignments Logitech have provided. When watching TV, the back button on my FreeSat decoder IS mapped to the back button on the remote but only if I press and hold it for 3 seconds. Logitech allows you to assign up to two functions to each key, one for a "short press", one for a "long press". It's worth going through the entire list and making sure the buttons you need most frequently are on the short press.

3. If you can't get a particular function working, it is possible for the Harmony Touch to learn (record) the IR code from the original remote (if you still have it) by pointing the original remote at the learning eye on the back of the Harmony Touch.

4. If you happen to have a laptop, take the laptop to the room where you'll use the remote and do the setup there.

So, pros and cons:

+ The Logitech device database is extensive. In the unlikely event you can't find your device, Logitech may be able to add the device for you if you learn the commands from your device's remote and then contact their support department asking them to add the device permanently.

+ No more hunting for batteries. The remote has a built-in (officially non-replaceable) battery that is recharged each time you place the remote back in the charging dock.

+ The "activities" function allows you to create a button on the touchscreen that manipulates multiple devices at the same time. You can add your own picture for the activity and customise the commands so that additional pauses and button presses are sent. For example, I have a button that says "Watch Netflix" and has the Netflix icon to the left. When I press it, it powers on the TV, selects HDMI2, powers on the Home Cinema amplifier and selects XBOX optical input, turns on the XBOX, selects my XBOX live profile, waits 30 secs for the home screen to appear then goes to my pins (use pins to prevent the macro breaking if the layout changes) and selects the first pin, which is the Netflix app. Activities allow remotes to be mixed together so in this scenario, play and pause are mapped to the XBOX but Vol up and Vol down are mapped to the amp.

- It's infrared. Infrared is one way communication. If the Harmony sends the IR code when you press the button, it has no idea whether the signal got to the device and the device performed the action. The marketing blurb for this remote mentions RF, but that's a little misleading. The only RF device it can control directly is the Harmony Ultimate Hub (available separately).

- It's line of sight. It's great that you can program up complex activity macros like the one mentioned above, but you have to sit there ensuring the remote is pointed at the relevant devices the whole time. That's not instinctive for most users.

To be fair, I got annoyed with the two cons listed above and rather than return the unit, I decided to take a gamble and pay out the additional £80 to add the Harmony Ultimate Hub to see if that helped mitigate these problems. It really did. The hub is an IR repeater that you can leave permanently in sight of your equipment's IR receivers. It is RF so it can go in a closed cabinet with your TV decoder, dvd player, media player, console etc. It has two external 2.5mm sockets for IR repeater tails so you can even solve the much cited problem of needing to separately control two Humax boxes in the same room since you can even map devices to a particular socket.

Overall I have to say it's a good piece of kit but it really only comes into its own when used with the Hub. It's cheaper to buy the Harmony Ultimate package which contains both the Harmony Touch and the Harmony Hub rather than doing what I did and buying them separately. At this price, it's good value for money. If you want the kind of guaranteed functionality that 2-way communication provides you are starting to look at AMX or Crestron and if you can afford that sort of kit then you probably wouldn't be reading this review on Amazon as your butler would be doing it for you.
on 31 August 2014
At the heart of my home system, I have an HDMI 4x4 matrix switch which can route any of four inputs (e.g. Sky box, DVD player) to any of four outputs (i.e. monitors). The Harmony Touch really struggles with this configuration. One of the problems is that any "activity" (for example, Watch TV) starts with a list of commands which cannot be deleted or reordered; this substantially restricts the extent to which one can then customise the activity - a shame, really, as almost every other aspect of the remote's operation is totally programmable. The matrix is not listed amongst the manufacturer's recognised devices (specifically or generically) and I found Logitech's support personnel very limited in their product knowledge and unproactive with their problem solving. The idea was to buy three more of these remotes for my home but I'll have to keep looking.