Format: Audio CD|Change

This fabulous set, at a bargain price by the great Tony Bennett contains
Eight Classic Albums

Tony The Beat Of My Heart,
Long Ago Far Away,
Strike Up The Band and
Hometown My Town

All the albums been digitally remastered and enhanced for superior quality and the Real Gone Jazz label has garnered some really good reviews for sound quality.
The digitally enhanced sound is a good indicator but for a proper review I really suggest you read other, more knowledgeable people's reviews.

Quite frankly it is a marvelous collection just like its companion and highly recommended volume two.7 Classic Albums

The simple reason for the low price? The recordings are over 50 years old and may be `Public Domain' in the USA.

Amazon have not listed the tracks at the time of writing this review so I have included one here so that you can see if your favourite tracks are included.

Amazon have not listed the tracks from the LPs nor the split over the 4 CDs at the time of writing this review so I have included one here so that you can see if your favourite tracks are included.
01. "The boulevard of broken dreams"
02. "I wanna be loved"
03. "Once there lived a fool"
04. "The Valentino tango"
05. "I won't cry anymore"
06. "Because of you"
07. "While we're young"
08. "Cold cold heart"
09. "Close your eyes"
10. "I can't give you anything but love"
11. "May I never love again"
12. "Cinnamon sinner"
13. "I fall in love too easily"
14. "My baby just cares for me"
15. "My heart tells me"
16. "Old devil moon"
17. "Love letters"
18. "My reverie"
19. "Give me the simple life"
20. "While the music plays on"
21. "I can't believe that you're in love with me"
22. "Darn that dream"

Disc 02
01. "Sing you sinners"
02. "Somewhere along the way"
03. "Since my love has gone"
04. "Stranger in paradise"
05. "Here in my heart"
06. "Please driver (once around the park again)"
07. "It had to be you"
08. "You can depend on me"
09. "I'm just a lucky so-and-so"
10. "Taking a chance on love"
11. "These foolish things"
12. "I can't give you anything but love"
13. "Boulevard of broken dreams"
14. "I'll be seeing you"
15. "Always"
16. "Love walked in"
17. "Lost in the stars"
18. "Without a song"

Disc 03
01. "Let's Begin"
02. "Lullaby of Broadway"
03. "Let there be Love"
04. "Love for Sale"
05. "Army Air Corps song"
06. "Crazy Rhythm"
07. "The beat of my heart"
08. "So beats my heart for you"
09. "Blues in the night"
10. "Lazy afternoon"
11. "Let's face the music and dance"
12. "Just one of those things"
13. "It could happen to you"
14. "Ev'ry time we say goodbye"
15. "Long ago and far away"
16. "It amazes me"
17. "The way you look tonight"
18. "Be careful, it's my heart"
19. "My foolish heart"
20. "Time after time"
21. "Fools rush in"
22. "A cottage for sale"
23. "Blue moon"
24. "So far"

Disc 04
01. "Strike up the band"
02. "I guess I'll have to change my plans"
03. "Chicago"
04. "With plenty of money and you"
05. "Anything goes"
06. "Life is a song"
07. "I've grown accustomed to her face"
08. "Jeepers creepers"
09. "Growing pains"
10. "Poor little rich girl"
11. "Are you havin' any fun?"
12. "The skyscraper blues"
13. "Penthouse serenade (When we're alone)"
14. "By myself"
15. "I cover the waterfront"
16. "Love is here to stay"
17. "The party's over"
18. "Gee Len's Here"
22 Comments| 18 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 26 January 2017
CONTENT:

“Eight Classic Albums” by Tony Bennett, released by Real Gone Music from UK in 2012, is a 4-CD set with 8 early complete albums and 81 songs. For some unknown reasons, song listing in this “Classic Albums” series is always missing in the website. In order to have our readers to make a wise purchase decision, knowing the contents is of utmost importance. I personally make it my goal to list a song listing in every review. Here, I have compiled a detailed song listing (including both album and single labels & numbers, chart positions, release date, plus names of source albums and personal comments)(BB 200=Billboard Album Chart; US=US Singles Chart prior to 1955):

DISC 1:
LP “BECAUSE OF YOU” (Columbia CL 6221)(1952)*his first album:
01 The Boulevard of Broken Dreams (Columbia 38825)(uncharted a-side, April 1950)
02 I Wanna Be Loved (Columbia 38825)(b-side to “Boulevard of Broken Dreams”, April 1950)
03 Once There Lived A Fool (Columbia 39187)(uncharted a-side, December 1950)
04 The Valentino Tango (Columbia 39209)(b-side to “Beautiful Madness”, January 1951)
05 I Won’t Cry Anymore (Columbia 39362)(b-side to “Because of You”, US 12/April 1951)
06 Because of You (Columbia 39362)(a-side, US 1(10)/April 1951)*his first charted single & biggest hit
07 While We’re Young (Columbia 39362)(b-side to “Cold Cold Heart”, July 1951)
08 Cold Cold Heart (Columbia 39362)(a-side, US 1(6)/July 1951)*his second No. 1 hit
09 Close Your Eyes (Columbia 40427)(a-side, UK 18/January 1955)
10 I Can’t Give You Anything But Love (Columbia 38856)(uncharted a-side, April 1950)
11 May I Never Love Again
12 Cinnamon Sinner (Columbia 40272)(a-side, US 8/June 1954)
LP “CLOUD 7” (Columbia CL 621)(1955)*his second album:
21 I Can’t Believe That You’re In Love with Me
22 Darn That Dream

DISC 2:
LP “ALONE AT LAST WITH TONY BENNETT” (Columbia CL 2507)(1955)*his third album:
01 Sing You Sinners (Columbia 38989)(uncharted a-side, July 1950)
02 Somewhere Along the Way (Columbia 39695)(uncharted a-side, March 1952)
03 Since My Love Has Gone (Columbia 39635)(uncharted a-side, December 1951)
04 Stranger in Paradise (Columbia 40121)(a-side, US 2(2)/November 1953; UK 1/1953)*first 4th and final No. 1 hit
05 Here in My Heart (Columbia 39745)(a-side, US 15/May 1952)
06 Please Driver (Once Around the Park Again)(Columbia 40213)(a-side, US 29/April 1954)
LP “TONY” (Columbia CL 938)(BB200 14/1957)*his first charted & 4th album:
07 It Had To Be You
08 You Can Depend on Me
09 I’m Just A Lucky So-And-So
10 Taking a Chance on Love
11 These Foolish Things
12 I Can’t Give You Anything But Love (Columbia 38856)(uncharted a-side, April 1950)
13 Boulevard of Broken Dreams (Columbia 38825)(uncharted a-side, April 1950)
14 I’ll Be Seeing You

02 Lullaby of Broadway
03 Let There Be Love
04 Love for Sale
05 Army Air Corps Song
06 Crazy Rhythm (Columbia 41157)(b-side to “The Beat of My Heart”, March 1958)
07 The Beat of My Heart (Columbia 41157)(uncharted a-side, March 1958)
08 So Beats My Heart For You
19 My Foolish Heart
20 Time After Time
21 Fools Rush In
22 A Cottage for Sale
23 Blue Moon (Columbia 41298)(b-side to “Love Look Away”, November 1958)
24 So Far

DISC 4:
LP” STRIKE UP THE BAND” (Tony Bennett/Count Basie)(Roulette RS-25231)(1959)*his 10th album:
01 Strike Up the Band
07 I’ve Grown Accustomed to Her Face
08 Jeepers Creepers
09 Growing Pains
10 Poor Little Rich Girl
11 Are You Havin’ Any Fun?
LP “HOMETOWN, MY TOWN” (Columbia CL 1301)(1959)*his 11th album:
12 The Skyscraper Blues
13 Penthouse Serenade (When We’re Alone)
14 All By Myself
15 I Cover the Waterfront
16 Love Is Here to Stay
17 The Party’s Over

POSITIVE POINTS:

1 This set represents the first time that 8 early albums of Tony Bennett are collected in one single set. If purchased separately, the cost would have been much higher.
2 As noted above, there are also many singles found within the above albums.
3 Many of the album tracks are old standards, done Tony’s way. His phraseology is simply perfect.
4 The sound is very well remastered.
5 To have 8 albums in one set: good value!

NEGATIVE POINTS:

1 Disc 1: 65 minutes; disc 2: 50 minutes; disc 3: 64 minutes; disc 4: 54 minutes. Surely, Real Gone Music could have easily fit at least 2 more albums in, to make it even more valuable. I guess that is why we have a Volume 2 to this set: “Seven Classic Albums”. Even then, for album releases before 1963, we are still missing “Blue Velvet” (the current CDs available with this title do not have the album song listing, but fortunately, all the songs in that album are readily available elsewhere), “In Person” and “Count Basie Swings/Tony Bennett Sings” (same song listing as “Strike Up the Band”).
2 As per usual practice with Real Gone Music, there is no booklet, no label & number and no chart positions. The one thing I miss the most is the album front covers.
3 Editing error: in the song listing, the song “All by Myself” was listed as “By Myself”.

FINAL THOUGHTS:

Personally, I am in the process of getting every Tony Bennett album on CD. Out of 73 domestic albums released so far, I am still missing “The Good Things in Life” and “Listen Easy” (both Verve/MGM). In retrospect, I did save some money not buying the ultra-expensive “Complete Collection”, although I still longed for the 3 CDs of non-album singles in that set. The same applies to the expensive “Complete Improv Recordings” box set containing rare non-album singles to complete my Complete Singles Collection on Tony Bennett.

If you are collecting Tony Bennett albums, this set, together with Volume 2: “Seven Classic Albums”, is a Must-Own.
on 8 December 2013
I greatly admire Tony Bennett as a master of song but this does not mean I enjoy all of his choices. The odd rendering that does not please can be easily passed over when listening to these CDs. A really outstanding buy and such good value.
on 1 April 2013
This set was perfect in every way-content,service and delivery time-these 8 albums are essential to any Bennett fan and others who like this genre!
on 25 May 2015
Just what my father wanted, previously he could not find the albums he remembers from the late fifties and early sixties but this collection has them all.
on 23 September 2016
This completes my Tony Bennett Collection. All the songs I have always wanted.
on 17 October 2015
Like all Tony Bennett albums great to listen to.
on 8 December 2016
Great CD but its one lost in the post.
on 24 November 2015