on 8 October 2015
Joby have two GripTight mounts, this GripTight Mount Standard and the Joby GripTight XL Mount for larger phones.

- The GripTight Mount Standard is for narrower devices which are 5.4cm to 7.2 cm such as the iPhone 5, iPhone 6 and Nexus 5.

- The GripTight Mount XL is for smartphones which are 6.9cm to 9.9 cm wide such as the iPhone 6 Plus and Galaxy Note 4/5.

As you can see there’s a few millimetres overlap which might be beneficial if your next phone might be larger.

If you do any frequent photography or AV recording on your phone and already have a tripod with a ballhead or (screw) then this Joby GripTight Mount for Smartphones might be what you’re after to keep your phone steady on your current tripod (whether it be a Joby one or not).

It can stretch and grip devices which are 5.4cm to 7.2 cm wide and does a good job of holding the devices - you just have to make sure you put the phone in parallel to the grip mount - put in at a slight angle and you might find the grip mount will eventually ‘squeeze’ your phone out but that’s very rare.

I’ve used this one, not only a Joby GorillaPod Hybrid Tripod for Compact System Cameras with Integrated Ballhead but also a professional Manfrotto tripod with Manfrotto ball head.

As long as your ballhead or tripod allows you to rotate, then the phone can be rotated from landscape to portrait view - in others it's your tripod that will decide what angle you can achieve and that's of course of the advantages if you have a Joby Gorillapod tripod anyway.

Conclusion - If you do any long term photography or video/audio recording on your phone then this is a good item to carry around. Grin and bare the cost of spending approximately £8 on a piece of plastic - but at least it works and doesn't drop my iPhone 6 or Nexus 5 nor do small vibrations cause it to collapse.
3 people found this helpful
on 19 February 2014
I have a gorilla pod already, i use it for hanging my flashgun from things when out shooting strobist style, fab item, worth every penny and then some.

Bought this grip for my iphone 4s, works a treat! I grip the pod to my passengers side sun visor in my KA and use the thing to hold my phone for when i need satnav help, I tried this new grip today and it performed outstandingly well, and didnt leave dirty great marks on my windscreen.

Of course, i will be using it on other tripods as i am very aquainted with selfies, my iphone might look a bit lost on my heavy duty manfrotto but it will do the job, of that i doubt not!

Attaching it to the tripod is very easy by the way, just screw in the tripod end into the hole on the grip, sorry but i am not technical and dont know if the tripod end would be called a screw, a bolt, or whatever, but its easy to attach, and will fit any standard tripod, not just Joby.

As per, a brilliant item from Joby, constantly amazed and glad i bought the items, they help so much, and take up so little room, i could actually do a complete photoshoot with just whats in my small handbag, and not my big, oversized, and old Lowepro backpack, just an iphone and a few joby essentials, fabtastic!
2 people found this helpful
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 22 October 2014
This works as advertised but could be better. It's just a bit tricky to slot your phone in, especially one handed, and I always feel like I'm going to drop my phone (although I never have). I have however managed to give my fingers a few sharp nips in the spring-loaded mechanism. But on the positive side, it holds your phone pretty securely, and you have a small amount of leeway to angle it. You can use it alone and freestanding on a very flat surface, but I doubt you will because it's not very stable that way. Really you need a little tripod as well as this, which makes it a bit expensive. It screws onto any tripod using the standard thread in the bottom. Overall not bad, but not quite up to the high standard of Joby's other products (of which I have a few).
on 2 April 2016
I bought this for making videos using my iPhone 6. My iPhone 6 is in a fairly sturdy hard case and this mount still gripped it really well. It has the universal screw mount that you will find on most tripods and selfie sticks.

I did a shake test over some soft lawn to see if I could dislodge the phone from a selfie stick and I could not. that inspired good confidence in the product.
One person found this helpful
on 1 December 2016
I already have two Joby products. One was a gorilla tripod I got as a gift some time ago from a photography 'buff' for my SLR and I got another small one, myself, for a compact camera. I trust the brand based on that experience. This grip mount I bought for use with my smartphone and as expected it is a firm grip and feels robust. Suppose that means "it does what it says on the tin"! Not much used yet but I have confidence in it.
on 1 February 2017
It all works as expected, I will say that it only just fits and iPhone 7, and it wouldn't fit a phone much larger (hence the reason for the XL model). Overall I think its expensive for what it is, and disappointing that it didn't come with a QR clip (hotshoe mount thing) to fit it into the GoillaPod tripods. You have to screw it into the adapter. For £9.49, you would have expected a little more to be honest.
on 22 March 2016
Well designed, solid and simple to use BUT only 3 stars because although designed to hold the phone horizontally the rubber pads are just in the right place to press on the power switch and/or the volume (zoom) buttons. I have got round this by cutting a groove across the pads in order to bridge over the switches. A simple improvement to design would make it 5 stars as it folds down to nothing really larger than a pocket hair comb.
on 18 May 2016
Smaller than I thought but very handy for holding mobile phone onto a handgrip, small pocket sized tripod or larger tripod as standard thread fit. Will open to 72mm wide so holds a reasonable sized phone in landscape. Possibly not too robust and needs to be treated with respect! Excellent product which will hold most mobiles secure. Fits into any small pocket but I keep attached to a collapsible pocket tripod in jacket pocket for availability. Recommended.
on 7 November 2017
Meh, well it does the job, would definitely recommend the pro version of this mount as this barely holds my iPhone 6s with a case (there is a lx version) but it does, as it says, griptight. After only using it once the bottom hinge started to feel a bit weak, but it’s held up so far.
One person found this helpful
on 17 May 2014
This phone mount is rather more expensive than some of the other offerings on the market but it has been the only one I've seen so far that would work with a Nokia Lumia 925 - most other mounts either do not stretch far enough to hold larger phones or grip the phone in the middle of the long edge which is where the lock button is on Lumia handsets. The gap in the top part of the mount's grip perfectly straddles the lock button and there's enough extra give in the spring mount to get the phone in and out easily, with or without the Lumia 925's CC-3065 charging shell.

The mount itself feels like a high-quality and well-built product with its hard plastic body, rubberised grips and metal joints and tripod thread. It holds the phone securely, moves smoothly and folds up neatly. In other words it does what it's supposed to, and feels worth the higher price.