Format: Kindle Edition|Change
Price:£1.99

on 10 July 2014
This book is one of the most thought provoking pieces of modern literature I have read in a long time.
It covers the many aspects of the human condition with all it's virtues and failings during times of great tribulation and the battle to remain decent.It also unflinchingly explores where we might end up if we let our governments,media,and societies continue in the unprincipled ways that are practiced in the real world now.
This is the possible legacy of political correctness and failure to separate religious dogma from good Christian teaching.I would make this book required reading in high schools, and suggest that Hollywood would do us all a great service by making this into a movie or television series.
on 11 March 2013
I finished reading this book in record time as I just could not put it down. There are novels that I'll read before bed and happily read them. Then there are the outstanding books like this one that I'll make time to read and will actually stop me sleeping because I need just another page. The blurb will tell you what the book is about, but it's a post-nuclear apocalypse story of a former Marine Sergeant, Ed Stalker, who is the Sheriff of a small Virginia town at the time the bombs fall. The story is written as a memoir and as such what stands out is the solid, but necessarily harsh morality of the community's leader in an unprecedented period. The pace is great. The story is very readable, as are the other Christopher Nuttall books I have read. After reading Living Will Envy the Dead I was sitting looking through my Kindle list and thinking Christopher Nuttall's books are every bit as good and in some ways better than better known authors such as Lee Child, Simon Kernick and Tom Clancy. Unbelievable you can get such fantastic books as this on Kindle for less than £2 / $3. Happy reading!
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 1 November 2013
This was my second Christopher Nuttall book after being totally hooked by A Cowards Way Of War and I was a bit disappointed. The basic idea of the plot is great - survival after global nuclear war - but there are far too many unexplained parts of the survival. Goodness knows how thousands of folk lived for months with no power, no fuel, no new medical supplies, and only farm foods etc - and how they found all the arms & ammunition! To my mind the book would have been a far better read if Christopher had concentrated more on the processes by which the survivors sourced or manufactured power, fuel, the essentials of life, food etc and less on the 'action'. The whole thing would then have been more believable and enjoyable.
Maybe I'm being too critical (I am a retired engineer so the details of the processes would have interested me) but I'm just saying it as I found it. Was glad to get to the end of the book - exactly the opposite of A Cowards Way.
55 Comments| 3 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 6 October 2013
What a great story. It held me from page one to the last sentance. The hero is a guy we would all like to be making some decisions we all like to think we could make. At just under two pounds what a bargain. Well done Mr Nuttall, more please.
on 22 November 2013
And as with most of Chris's work that I have read - worth the money.....enjoyed it and would recommend it to anybody who likes the genre.
on 9 January 2014
I really enjoyed this book as I have others by the same author.who knows,whether this is pure fiction or what is coming
on 14 April 2014
I have read several of Christopher Nuttall's non science fiction books,and thoroughly enjoyed them all. But I must confess that I do have a big blind spot where stories about aliens invadng the earth,and science fiction stories in general.are concerned.
However,having really enjoyed this and his other books,with what I would call realistic stories about the world as we actually know it,
I am going to give his Alien invasion type stories a go.If the books are half as good as Mr. Nuttalls that I have read, well who kows,
I might just be a science fiction convert!! We'll see,and I will let you know when I've read the first of the OUTSIDE CONTEXT trilogy.
on 9 February 2017
This is a really well crafted tale, telling a great story about how to start a new nation. The characters all play good parts in the story, but the explanations of how they restart the nation is logical and well argued, did I mention it's also a great tale?
on 26 April 2014
This is a great read about a nuclear apocalypse and what's left for the survivors. Great characters and a very 'real' feel to the story line. I would highly recommend this author.
on 12 December 2013
A badly written, dreadfully edited and frankly nasty little book whose purpose is not to tell a tale but to indulge in a long and boring rant on the Godlike qualities of those who have served in the armed forces, the worthlessness of everyone else, the relatively benign outcome of all out nuclear war and the benefits to be gained from reworking the US constitution to rid it of those inconvenient checks and balances.

It is the Tea Party in literature - it will be very popular with rednecks, neocons and proto-fascists.