Learn more Download now Shop now Learn more Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Learn More Shop now Shop now Shop now Learn more Shop Fire Shop Kindle Playlist - Acoustic Christmas Shop now Shop now

Customer reviews

The Singles Collection
Format: Audio CD|Change

on 10 February 2015
I, like many, probably only remember New World for their three U.K. hits. But, having listened to some of their material online recently, I was drawn to purchase this collection. It contains their single releases between 1970 and 1976 and as has been said elsewhere, some of the material is available on other albums. Here though, the singles are all together.

I am not a sound expert, but i have to say the audio quality does seem a bit poor in places. This may be because of the conversion from analogue tapes into digital, and the fact that those tapes are more than likely over 40 odd years old. Certainly on the first track, I'll Catch The Sun, you notice the quality issues, especially at the beginning of the song. That said, it is nice to have this material on compact disc.

I am not going to do a track by track comment, not least because it would take forever. But it is worth noting that two songs, which were much bigger hits in the U.K. by other artists are on here. Track 3, Rose Garden, was a monster hit for American country singer Lyn Anderson. And I am sure many will not realise that the new World version actually reached number 15. The other track, many will know as a song sung by Smokie, is track 7, Living Next Door To Alice. New World did not chart in the U.K. with this, probably because it was slightly more folk orientated that the later version from Smokie.

This is a nice album and introduces those who missed out on them, to their gentle folk sound.
on 10 August 2014
Actually I bought this CD for seven songs only cos the first 8 songs were found on the first CD I bought a few years ago. I was undecided if it's worth buying for 7 songs only and I must say my decision was not wrong. These guys were just terrific! I just don't understand why most of the singles did not do well, very puzzling and what a shame! This collection definitely deserves a 5 star from me.
on 20 October 2017
A good collection including their early singles
on 1 May 2017
Pure nostalgia bliss
on 14 October 2017
Fantastic I had it on vinyl but hadn't played it for years since my record player broke. It was lovely to know I can play it anytime.
on 6 December 2012
There are a few compilations available by this '70s folk/ pop trio but this release from 7T's is special because it includes all the group's single releases from 1970 - 76.

As a big fan of vocal harmony groups such as The New Seekers and Starland Vocal Band, I was always drawn to New World but never actually purchased their albums back in the day, so discovering their material for the first time.

As Opportunity Knocks winners they are probably best known for their Mickie Most produced tracks `Sister Jane' and `Kara Kara'. However, they did release 15 singles during their time together and deserved greater success. Mel Doonan, John G Lee and John Kane's voices blend perfectly, creating a rich and mellow sound. My personal favourites include James Taylor's `Something Wrong' from their debut album and the self - penned `Sitting In The Sun' from `Yesterday's Gone'.

The album is nicely packaged with liner notes and photos, making it an essential purchase for those who want to relive the '70s and have an ear for some great harmonies.

Fingers crossed that their 3 albums will now find their way onto cd soon.
22 Comments| 11 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 21 March 2014
Those were the days, my first girlfriend Jayne, 1970 still remember her today 43 yrs later wish it was yesterday! Tony xx
on 4 March 2014
Just super the way I remember them Out of this World. A very underrated group. Can't help dancing to them. Thanks
on 28 January 2017
Fabulous album. Especially great as my best friend is married to Mel (Noonan), who signed it for me. Great!!!
on 2 November 2015
Great to hear the original - 'Living next door to Alice'