on 9 February 2014
I found this book easy-going and straightforward.

Lucy Sinclair is a lovely girl, burdened with an immature step-sister and equally infuriating step-mother. Having once caught sight of Lord Devlyn 5 years ago, she finally meets with him near her home in Hampshire. She believes that Lord Devlyn came to Hampshire to "view" her step-sister Belinda, a renowned beauty and heiress. Unknown to her, Lord Devlyn was actually appeasing his godmother's request for him to meet Lucy, as a potential wife. They spend the season together in London where Belinda is a hit. Belinda vies for Lord Devlyn's proposal. Belinda is also friendly with Lord Sneyd, a fortune-hunter.

I liked this story as it was rather straightforward and rather early on, we find out who falls in love with whom. There are no twisted and complicated plots. There is drama but nothing overly done.

There were some minor errors in the book but the only ambiguity is that I thought that one had to be presented at court before starting the London season (or a debut). Then only after presentation, are you allowed to attend Almacks, if invited. And definitely, that permission to dance the waltz HAS to be granted by any one of the hostesses of Almacks.

Overall, an easy and enjoyable read. This was my first book by this author and I will look into her other books.
on 22 November 2014
An enjoyable predictable read.
on 19 November 2013
This has been on my 'to read' list for a while, and regency romances are a delightful way to de-stress from the trials of life.

So it was one that I put off for a while, given I had already read Miss Hanbury's A Bright Particular Star and A Midsummer Eve at Rookery End.

I can honestly say that I don't know anyone who wouldn't like these stories. Comparisons are made to Georgette Heyer, who admittedly I have not read, but I think you have to get into the writer's mind - as a reader - in order to fully appreciate things.

This tale is told with Miss Hanbury's trademark wit and style. Given that I really loved the first two books of the author, how would this stand up?

The story centres around two sisters, Lucy and Belinda. Belinda is the gorgeous one who all men fawn after, whilst Lucy, no slouch herself, appears to play second fiddle to her sister all too often. Here's where, for me, the stories are sometimes better than Jane Austen (who I adore but she introduces too many sisters on occasion). That may seem a big ask...but there's nothing wrong being compared to the great authors.

Lord Sneyd is a particular great villian, and sometimes lacking in other stories of their ilk. So it was great to see him take up a lot of the story. That is not to say it lagged when he was not around. You kind of still root for Belinda even though she clearly loves herself. It's easy to get behind Lucy and wish only the best for her, and although I kind of predicted how things might end, it did not stop me enjoying this thoroughly entertaining read.

As for the original Cinderella story, and Disney's interpretation, who didn't love that? This is an enjoyable read, especially in these wintry days. Loved it, and made me want to take off to the home counties today....except I don't have to, and you won't...read this and you'll simply be transported to another world.

I have longed to go horse riding. With this, and A Bright Particular Star as motivation, I might just do that.
on 1 November 2016
This tale of Cinderella is so adearingly sweet and proper that you can't help but love it. This is my first book by the author and I may read more. The characters are perfect for the time period and I wish I could be Lucy too an extent and have her awesome guy and fair godmother. Definitely read this and its also suitable for a younger audience I think since there are no raunchy scenes in it per say. 5 stars.
on 3 June 2015
I did enjoy this book. I liked the humour in it. I will look for more books by this author.
on 21 December 2012
This is a very enjoyable, pacy novel,with a regency setting, with a hero and heroine to love. Lucy Sinclair, the Cinderella figure in this story, is intelligent and brave and the best of company, but without material fortune. She is plagued with a silly stepmother and a vain and materialistic younger stepsister, whose fortune makes her prey to the wicked nobleman Lord Sneyd, and leads both sisters into danger. The handsome and courageous hero, the Viscount Devlyn, finds in Lucy his perfect match, her wit and intelligence proving a foil for his own. How they navigate misunderstanding and danger to find one another drives on this very agreeable historical romance, which has Elizabeth Hanbury's trademarks of wonderful period detail and the atmosphere and language to match.
on 9 February 2013
Gentle love story. Simplest yet beautiful. Would encourage those who enjoy stories in there purest form to buy this. Gave it four stars because l prefer my reading to be a bit more passionate
on 31 October 2016
He is disillusioned with life and has no plans for marriage, a relative suggest he checks a girl out and he falls in love at first sight. She also had fallen in love with him five years ago, but now living with a very beautiful, but money grabbing stepsister and stepmother, she doesn't believe she has a chance. She is forced to recuse her stupid stepsister and he rescues her; too predictable with really boring passages
on 24 September 2012
A lovely, heartwarming story with a refreshingly realistic heroine and a dashing hero. I rooted for the two of them to get together all the way through. Would recomend.
on 21 December 2012
Cinderella is one of my favourite fairy-tales. Who could resist a rags to riches story? Perhaps that's its time-less appeal. In this enchanting but not too obvious re-working, Ms Hanbury works her usual magic. It's touching, funny, witty and romantic. Who could resist a chat up line like this?

'But enough of newts, let us discuss moral decline instead.'