on 29 March 2017
I bought this because of a motherboard failure on one of my PCs. I already have a Gigabyte 790FXTA-UD5 which has been very reliable so I decided to buy Gigabyte again. The motherboard looks impressive and very well made, a replacement back plate was supplied so that all the usb ports etc were nicely housed. If your PC case does not have a replaceable I/O plate, it is extremely old, you need to replace it! The CPU ZIF lever is metal not plastic so I'm not sure why it was referred to as "filmsy" by some reviewers, it's a standard metal lever. Ultra Durable referrs to the thickness of the copper traces, and higher quality components with a higher life expectancy. Try Googling "Gigabyte Ultra Durable", doesn't meant it will never fail but it should last much longer. The board was revision 2 the latest.
Fitting it was very easy, I had to add one extra brass standoff. The board layout allowed fitting of the CPU, cooling fan and DDR3 ram before fitting the M/B into the case. All of the securing screws could be fitted without touching CPU/RAM.
It was also possible to raise the edge of the board to fit the 20/24 pin plug allow pressure to be applied from top and bottom instead of just downward.
The only thing I had to change was the Power LED connector. My previous M/B needed a 3 pin plug with 2 pins next to each other. This M/B needs the pins at each end i.e. a gap between them, I think this is more usual.
After fitting and checking, powered up straight into BIOS setup, can't ask more than that.
I am very pleased with this motherboard.
on 23 March 2017
This is a review for the Gigabyte SKT-AM3 78LMT-USB3 Motherboard, which was actually a bit of an impulse buy for me. I had upgraded someone's PC and ended up with enough extra parts to make up a spare one for myself, but I needed an AM3+ board to stick them in. This was available, mATX sized and I've liked Gigabyte boards in the past, so here we are.

I received a Rev 6 board (the black one) and you get the usual manual, driver CD and SATA cables included in the box. You also get an IDE cable (!), which is the first indicator that this is a pretty old motherboard.

Build quality is great, the board looks good and the layout makes sense, except for the little PCIe slot, which is underneath the graphics card slot. The problem with this is that you probably will need to use the graphics card slot, since the in-built Radeon HD 3000 isn't supported by Windows 10 (and you could probably do with the extra performance from a dedicated card, even without Windows 10). If you're planning on using both slots, then be careful with how wide your graphics card is.

The board also has a few bottlenecks in terms of 1333Mhz memory speed (Update from when I first wrote this: the Rev 6 board actually supports up to 1600Mhz memory, but I've put some 1866Mhz memory in there, set it to run full speed in the BIOS and had no problems) and SATA2 ports (not SATA3, although you need an SSD to really get the benefits from that). You can go into the BIOS for some pretty straightforward looking overclocking, or use the EasyTune software from Gigabyte. I've been building PCs for years and never dared to overclock anything, so I can't really comment on that.

Still, running Windows 10 with just an AMD FX-4100 CPU and a Radeon HD 6450 GPU, I've had no problems with the board and I've been very happy with the performance. Obviously, there are newer and better boards out there nowadays, however if you're just looking to do something with an AM3 CPU, then I think this would be a great choice.

(Oh, and this is nit-picking, but the Rev 4 board colour scheme was blue and the Rev 6 board colour scheme is black. However, they apparently haven't updated the colour for the SATA cables, so you get a sleek, black board with garish, baby-blue SATA cables to plug into it. That's just a warning to anyone who's bothered by that sort of thing!)
on 26 August 2017
I have built many, many computers, and repaired hundreds, if not thousands. I can honestly say, that I find Gigabyte boards the most reliable out there, along with the MSI boards, which thesedays tend to more focus on gamers, but equally reliable, if not as flexible as the Gigabyte boards. I can only speak from my own experience, and I certainly don't want to sway anybody from whatever they think is suitable for the particular builds they are involved in, but this board is a delight to use, its perfectly laid out, lovely robust, yet durable build quality, everything about it is top notch. I always go for gigabyte boards first, then MSI, ,depending on the actual specification of the build, I have used asus boards, and wont again, I have used Asrock boards, and to be fair, they are great boards, seem very reliable, albeit somewhat compromised regarding practical useage,, .. way too much 3rd party software included that isnt needed. Just my opinion.
on 1 August 2016
It is a value board with the main downside being sata2 pci-e 2 and only 1 case fan port.

However it has a usb3 header and the memory runs at 1866mhz out the box which was a surprise since I was expecting 1333mhz speeds.

Going to stick another 16gb in to max it out and it runs my fx8350 fine. Looks good as well
review image
on 19 November 2017
Great mobo ,I wanted to build a budget pc to game on and this worked perfectly for my needs.

AMD Radeon R9 380 4GB GPU
Corsair Vengeance 2x8GB RAM @ 2400MHz
Fx4300 Black Edition CPU @ 5GHz w/Iceberg 240 cooler
All working fantastically with great BIOS for any overclocking requirements.
on 15 November 2015
I'm very pleased with this board (970 chipset, the 760G review follows on...). I mainly got it because the chipset supports SATA 3, which is what you really want to get the best out of an SSD. USB 3 is a bonus, the transfer speed to an external drive is a great time saver.

I received the Rev.2 version and my FX-8350 worked straight away without the need to update the BIOS. Speaking of which, the BIOS is UEFI, but fairly basic and is best navigated with keys rather than mouse, which lags terribly.

One quirk of this board is that if you overclock your CPU, when the power button is operated the fans power up but every then shuts down for a second, then it boots up normally. An internet search revealed that this is a known phenomenon and is something to do with the BIOS loading the overclocked profile. This is a minor inconvenience however. This is why I've knocked off a star, although half a star would have been better.

Overall, a good board with modern features, at a reasonable price.

I also recently bought the 78LMT-USB3 for a micro ATX build inside a Fracta Design Core 1000 case. It's good for what it is. Nice to have 4 RAM slots in such a board. If you are using a hefty GPU (in my case an R9 290), the SATA ports are restricted for space somewhat. I plan on getting one of the newer generation cards which are much shorter in length, at some stage, which will make things a whole lot easier.
on 2 April 2016
Very nice value for what you get, I bought this to replace an old motherboard that had died, and migrated a Phenom II 1045T setup incl RAM from a dead MB to this one with zero issues.

Things to bear in mind:
1. onboard graphics are *old* (Radeon 3000) - it's easy to forget how old this design is (nothing wrong with that, it's a relatively popular MB that is still selling well) but there are no proper Windows 10 drivers for this - it can't go higher than 1600x1200 using the default drivers in Win10 -- I discovered this when I happened to pop out my graphics card for a clean and attempted to use the onbaord DVI. (I have a 1920x1200 monitor)

2. BIOS is the old style - don't have too many expectations beyond the usual.

Not at all bad for the price.
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 29 August 2016
The AM3 platform is of a dieing breed but this did an excellent job paired up with an AMD FX4300.
It's still in use and will be up to the point my brother upgrades his computer (which may still be a while)

AMD isn't suitable for enthusiasts so I won't talk about overclocking or fancy features but the motherboard is a typical, budget gaming build motherboard that will last the user through some good punishment (lots and lots of gamin)
on 1 January 2018
Had some trouble with the ethernet as it wouldn't show up in Windows Device Manager (on windows 10),
After uninstalling the Ethernet drivers and rolling back to an earlier driver version the issue was fixed.

Also there were no chipset drivers available for windows 10 from Gigabyte's Website, although the board seems to work fine without them.
on 14 May 2014
4 RAM slots, AMD CPU, enough PCI slots (who really uses more then 3-4?), and 6 SATA slots. Theres plenty of USB ports but those who have alot of devices (Mechanical keyboard which uses two USBs, Oculus, Microphone, Mouse, External HDD and a few more usually) it just reaches the limit of whats needed including the front (assuming you have 2 front USBs). Actually has decent SATA cables, easy to fit and has decent enough sound card and seems to be ok graphics adapter (I bought a £200 graphics card for a reason). What else is there to say? it fits plenty and is a upper class MoBo you can't go wrong and if you are a performance freak you wouldn't even be looking at this.