Format: Audio CD|Change

on 5 December 2013
I have never been a fan of the wave of what was termed R&B artists that emerged in the late 90s through to the present, but Anastacia has for me been the stand out performer from this herd. With strong distinctive vocals and decent songs she has always grabbed my attention so much so that I have purchased all her releases since discovering her. Dare I say it she up there with Tina Turner and the late Janice Joplin for the power and delivery of her vocals. When I spotted this recent album made up of covers I was intrigued as to how she would deliver them, particularly in the case of the out and out classics (Which most of these songs are). It is a brave person who takes on U2's One after Johnny Cash re-defined the song on his American series, but it is carried of pretty well here and remains closer to the original U2 version. She really nails Led Zeppelin's Ramble On and The Stones' You Can't Always Get What You Want, probably the two outstanding tracks here and certainly my favorites with respect to her treatment. Her enjoyment and enthusiasm really stand out on the latter of these two songs. Her version of the Guns N' Roses track, Sweet Child O Mine also merits mention as being an excellent cover as does the Aerosmith cover Dream On. Possibly the one cover that just doesn't quite work (But it is almost there) is her version of the AC/DC classic Back In Black.
I would not be so bold to say that she improves on the originals of any of the covers here. That just is not the case, but she treats all with reverence, helped in no mean part by an excellent backing band who keep close to the feel and essence of the originals musically.
If you are open to the treatment of what are by and large classic rock songs by an artist not normally associated with this style of music, then you could do very much worse than this covers album by Anastacia. A little left field, a little unexpected, but very much worth while.
VINE VOICEon 16 November 2012
Yes, Anastacia has a new album out. Who knew? At least it's out over there in mainland Europe, although they're trying to keep it quiet. Which is a bit odd considering that Anastacia has sold over 20 million records since her debut "Not That Kind" back in 2000. For sure, "Heavy Rotation" was a bit of a flop, but she certainly doesn't deserve this sort of cursory treatment.

So, on with "It's A Man's World". And, yes, we've reached that moment where Anastacia has resorted to the covers album. Although the twist is, that she's singing songs associated with the menfolk. And the rock. Yes. it's a rock covers album. Something that should have me salivating, what with me being a fan of the rock, and with Anastacia being the best female vocalist to emerge in the 21st century (ish). Thing is, though, the work rock seems to have been extended beyong its proper meaning to include songs by Foo Fighters, U2, Kings Of Leon and (gulp) Oasis. No, not really rock then. However, fair play to the inclusion of tunes by Led Zeppelin, Guns n' Roses, Bon Jovi, the Rolling Stones, Aerosmith and AC/DC. Oh, and if you're one of those iTunes folks who paid less for the record than people who bought the physical CD, you get a Soundgarden tune as well. Bonus, my arse.

On with the music and, in places, it's cracking. Of the songs I hate, Anastacia actually manages to make 'Use Somebody' into a good song. Something I didn't think was possible. Over in the world of real rawk, she does a great job on 'Ramble On', 'You Can't Always Get What You Want' and 'Back In Black'. 'Sweet Child o' Mine', however is a bit too polite and 'You Give Love A Band Name' only kicks in come the chorus. In fact, the backing is, generally, speaking overly polite, and it's only the Voice that pushes things on. I understand why, as radio play is still needed in the modern world, which will be why the Foo Fighters song is getting the promo push, but they could have gone for it on a few tunes.

It's great to have some new music from Anastacia and 'You Can't Always Get What You Want' and, especially, 'Dream On', which is the absolute killer tune here, have leapt into my daily playlist. But with a bit more (technical term alert) oomph, this could have been great rather than good. But the Voice is still an amazing thing.
on 20 May 2014
Yep, so they say, but boy has this woman twisted classics to suit the female gender like no one before. As Anastacia has been though a rough time of late, and probably not just in the right frame of mind to write. Why not have a break, take stock of my life, but instead of sitting on my butt I'll do a twisted female covers album of classic tracks. The songs speak for themselves with Anastacia' stamp all over them, an alternative covers album to let the fan know I am still in the music business, even when its tough. A heroine to all women around the world suffering some form of cancer, and a hard subject to take stock off, even with todays therapy's. To all those women I salute you in your fight of this horrible disease.
on 5 August 2013
I had never bought an Anastacia record before, but was aware of her as a chart-friendly singer - not my kind of thing as a rock/prog/indie fan. However, having chanced upon it, I was amazed at the girl's performance. Her voice really is a force of nature, and not a single song here suffers from having her sing it - in most cases (*cough* Bon Jovi *splutter* Bono) she improves on the original. I never thought I would deliberately listen to a song by Oasis, U2, Bon Jovi or Kings Of Leon, but Anastacia really sells them by sheer force of personality and those wonderful lungs. I'd have to knock off one star - had all the original material been as strong as Ramble On, You Can't Always Get What You Want and Sweet Child Of Mine it would have had five.

The standout is Back In Black - again, I'm not a fan of AC/DC, but it's a great song and Anastacia simply sings it to a standstill. The lyrics are poignant too - "cheated the noose...nine lives...I'll never die" - in light of her recent recovery from cancer. Here's hoping she keeps knocking out great albums like this for a long time to come.
on 10 November 2012
a must have for all Anastacia fans.... i just listened to the album and it blew me away, its safe to say Anastacia has still got it after 7 years of silence.... Best of you is a amazing track. i hope you all enjoy this album as i did
on 3 December 2013
Before buying this album, I read the reviews on here. To be honest, there were not too many on the positive side - it was balanced as 3 and below with those rated at 4 & 5. So I bought it with the expectation that it would be good, but not much more. Essentially, it is Anastasia singing songs that are known to you from male lead bands or solos, sung by men. The first run through - I thought it is okay, good interpretation. The next time I listened to it, it really sunk in. Her powerful voice came through and the songs interpretation was entirely her own. I guess the problem with singing covers is that the singer is compared to the original singer, and not sounding as the original - we can easily give up. If you hear this one time, it will not sound as the originals, but give it a second try - straight through. You will be amazed, especially if you already are a fun of this little woman with that BIG powerful voice. The songs are hers and you'll start to play this more and more as I have. I think it is a great album and I am very pleased that I bought it. I am pleased that I didn't give in to the sceptics or the low score on the feedback. If you like Anastasia, or these songs - this album is super! Also, if you buy the disk, Amazon will allow you to download the digital versions anyhow - so you can put it straight onto your Ipod or other player and get going. Play it twice, and you'll love it. 5 stars from me.
on 1 December 2012
This album in my view is one of the best Anastacia has produced, and it seams to have gone unnoticed by many, which is a shame. Anastacia's voice really is suited to singing rock, alot like Tina Turner. The album's songs are all covers by male rock stars, from Oasis's 'Wonderwall', the Rolling stones 'You can't always get what you want' & a brilliant cover of Bono's 'One'. The single is another execellant cover of the Foo fighters 'Best of you'. Other album highlights are 'dream on' & 'You give love a bad name'. Anastacia used to be a huge star in Europe selling 30 miilion until a bad move was made to another label. Hopefully her career will recover. This album deserves to be heard and sell!
Any way you look at it (or listen to it) it's a great thing to have
Anastacia back in the frame. To say I have missed her voice would be
a gross understatement. That 'It's A Man's World' is an album of covers
is just fine by me. Producer Glen Ballard has done a spiffing job at
assisting Ms Newkirk in bringing these ten blisteringly good performances
to life with such vivid energy and an almost 'live' sound. It is a credit
to them both. Play it loud and the plaster will crumble from your ceilings.

There are some iconic rock songs in this set and our hostess is not afraid
to look them full in the face and put her own unimpeachable stamp on them.
These are truly muscular renditions but blessed with the same innate musicality
which has been the hallmark of all her recorded work. She's a hard act to follow!

It's brave lady who'd take on a big song like Led Zepplin's 'Ramble On' and
nail it to the mast; a faithful interpretation which gives Mr Plant's own a
run for its money. So too Foo Fighters' 'Best Of You' in which she fully
reveals its burning anthemic core. The Rolling Stones 'You Can't Always Get
What You Want' gets a wonderfully affecting treatment as well; her impeccable
phrasing and snarling delivery giving an old warhorse a new lease of life.
Her capacity for tenderness really glows on U2's 'One' and Kings Of Leon's
'Use Somebody' hikes up the tempo and crackles with real fire and feeling.

Anastacia takes on the blokes and proves her worth in this fine collection.

Highly Recommended.
on 22 January 2014
i wasnt sure about Anastacia doing a covers album but Anastacia can do anything!!! this is an amazing album, not as good as her originals but its still the Anastacia we all know any love, rocky, sassy and brill vocals! cant wait for her next album :D
on 7 July 2014
I am so happy to add this to my collection. I've been an Anastacia fan for years & I think that this is a really brvve C.D. for her to have made. On the whole it works really well. Good for you taking om the boys!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!