TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 25 November 2014
After reading this book a few years ago and loving it. I was thrilled when I got the chance to listen to it on Audio.
Not being sure what to expect, I took my phone and headphones, on a walk, then took it to work, then It ended up going everywhere with me.
It was funny as although I had read the book, with it being a few years ago, I had forgotten a lot of what happened, and found listening to this, interesting and exciting.
Many kindle books have the text to speach enabled, and if you have ever listened to it, you will know it sounds very robotic and hard to follow.
This is not the case witht he audio version, it was like having someone with a great soothing voice follow me around reading to me. Great for when you want to read, but haven't got the chance to sit down. I'm now listening to this for the 2nd time while i get stuck into my housework.
The audio book is brilliant and I would love to listen to more books in future.
6 people found this helpful
|11 Comment|Report abuse
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 4 March 2016
WOW!

Having just finished this book, my emotions are all over the place.

I don't think a story has ever chilled me to the bone like this one has, yet I am experiencing a mixture of happiness, sadness and anger.

Having read the book description, I don't think it prepared me to the true horror of how evil Jerrell is. I think some readers will find part of the story line quite upsetting as I certainly did, yet the author writes about a subject that is truly awful without going into to much detail but just giving the reader just the right amount of information.

I loved Jamie, he really is a strong character. He leaves home at the age of fifteen, after years of enduring a waste of space for a mother and basically being neglected. Luckily for Jamie he falls on his feet when he walks into Gary's garage who then takes him under his wing and becomes like a father figure to him.

Unfortunately the trade of dodgy cars that has kept the garage going is drying up due to rival Jerrell trying to make his mark in the area. Jamie and Gary decide it's time to take Jerrell out but things don't go to plan and Jamie makes a shocking discovery that totally rocks his world.

Jerrell I hated! I am not a violent person but boy did I want something really bad to happen to him. He has no thought for anyone but himself. He uses everyone and has no respect for Louise and the others that work under him. He truly is a nasty piece of work.

I really enjoyed the bond between Gary and Jamie. By the end of the novel a few of the other characters had grown on me also and I would love for there to be some sort of follow up novel to this one so the reader could catch up with them a few years later.

Rise and Fall is a novel that really grabs hold of you. It took me on an emotional roller coaster of a ride. Some parts were uncomfortable to read and I did find them upsetting, but I don't think the story would have been anywhere near as brilliant if the author had dusted over the harrowing subject.

A highly recommended read.
on 22 October 2012
Casey's first book 'Rotten to the core' was so good, I wondered if I would be disappointed with this, her second. But, once again, a totally gripping story from beginning to end. Fans of Mandasue Heller, martina cole and Kimberley Chambers will love this, but if you are taking it on a two week holiday, make sure you take another book because this one wont last long - once you open it, you wont want to put it down! I'm looking forward to the next book....
12 people found this helpful
on 3 June 2017
I have reversed the title because the beginning was slow (as was rotten to The Core) at first and I could not make out the main person.Once I had the story was good and was loathe to put it down at night. Then when I wanted more of the brothers reunion it skipped to the end. Did Jamie And Louise get together? Well done author but felt a interested at the end.
on 11 November 2017
Great read normally I can tell before the end of the book what will happen and who will do it....this time though....not a clue.....loved it xx
on 23 January 2015
Casey's book are on the ball, didn't want to put this down as with her other books.
Discovered this author by chance as I'd finished reading all my Martina Cole & Kimberley Chamber books & got a new kindle so needed something new!
She does not disappoint & the only bad thing I can say is that I'm halfway through her last book without anymore of them to read:(
Brilliant, gritty & true to life, I was brought up around th areas she writes about & it's spot on, Well done, brilliant read.
on 23 March 2013
After reading Rotten to the core (which was brilliant) I was dying to read this book but was going to hold off until my holiday in June. Couldn't!!!!! Ordered this & read it in 2 days.
Unusual as it follows the life of a fella (Jamie) who leaves home at 15, leaving behind his useless drunken mother & his baby brother. Jamie works for a local (but loveable) crook but they get involved in something more violent than they are used to. Jamie's forgotten family are all involved in the plot. Read it and all will be revealed!
Fans of Jessie Keane, Manadasue Heller etc will enjoy this book.
A quick read, easy to pick up bit not so easy to put down.
on 19 September 2016
I loved this book, it had the gangs, the drugs, the violence, and a storyline that ran throughout the book about a totally dysfunctional mother and two of her kids. The characters are believable, and keep you glued to the pages making this a very good book to read. I would highly recommend this gritty thriller.
on 18 May 2017
A tale about vulnerable young people getting sucked into a sordid world of crime, some come out on top others don't. The fallout is punchy, dramatic has you on the edge. Unputdownable Casey's books are fantastic.5*
on 8 September 2017
As usual, good characters, believable story, entertaining nut not too heavy.