on 17 April 2013
While this book did do its job and I passed the exam with flying colors, I still think it's one of the worst technical books I have ever read. Half of the text feels like it isn't even English, the other half is luckily Java code, but even that is riddled with typos and other errors.

I found it extremely frustrating - stumbling and stumbling every step of the way. I can't understand how Oracle can release a book that's so obviously not even been proof-read by any competent proof-reader and how they, Oracle, happily put their name and logo all over the book's covers. I would have expected the book to be of much higher quality.

Since it's dealing only with the very basics of Java SE7, it CAN be used for exam preparation, but... I just CAN'T force myself to rate it any higher. My final verdict is: I *recommend* but - also - spit on this book.
on 3 May 2013
I have the kindle edition of this book and it is a real let down. There is NO table of contents so getting around in the book is a nightmare unbelievable for a text book. The online additional material I have tried to register 3 times and have got no response. The actual content is nothing special.
on 8 November 2013
On my first run through the practise exam that came with the book, I needed half the time and scored 93%. Sitting through the real exam I spent close to the alloted time and scored 85%. I.e., the real exam was more difficult than the impression the book gave me. I can also agree with other reviewers that there are factual errors to watch out for. If something doesn't make sense, look it up elsewhere!

But in all fairness, it was also quite helpful. I liked the exam-hints as well as the review bullets and test questions at the end of every chapter. More code exercises would have been great.
on 21 February 2014
This book is easier than the actual exam and that also includes the test. Some sections of the book are totally out of the exam syllabus like object relationships with associations. In the real exam there are very few theoretical questions. It's a good start but I would recommend Mala Gupta's book which offers a much harder test which is more accurate in difficulty. Not a bad book though but certainly you expect something higher in quality from Oracle Press.
on 13 December 2012
So far I haven't done the exam, but I see some mistakes in the coding in the book, seems it has not been properly revised prior to release. I think it lacks more points on the exam, more tips, more information. It should be more exam-oriented.
The questions and explanations are pretty good and are clear enough. Now when I take the exam I will confirm if they are what they are supposed to be.
Sometimes I wonder if I'll be able to pass the test with this book, I hope I will.
More revision, fair questions and more exam related information.
on 3 October 2013
This is a good book.
It might be enough for you to get through the exam, personally I am finding I have to do a bit more before I am happy to take the exam and be confident of a good chance of passing it.
on 3 July 2015
Quite poor considering this is an official Oracle book. Numerous mistakes and irrelevant topics, and does not go into enough detail on material to pass exam.
on 12 September 2013
Very good book in Java with free material to help teachers in classroom.
Why it's very hard to find this type of books in Portugal?
on 6 June 2013
We purchased this book (multiple copies) to give as a gift to our students who are preparing for the the exam. We recommend it!
on 18 March 2013
Arrived quickly and in good order. Seems to serve the purpose I required, which is to pass the Java Examination.