Customer reviews

Koi No Yokan
Format: Audio CD|Change

on 14 November 2012
As a dedicated long-term Tones fan (first saw them in 1998, and have been at nearly every UK tour since), this album sees a massive return to form following a solid but non-special Diamond Eyes. It seems like the band had to take time to come to terms with the changes in line-up and sound following Chi Cheng's terrible accident, and in my opinion they have sounded weaker for it ever since (years). To me Koi No Yokan sees them re-emerge, coming out the other side refreshed and vibrant. I don't see any point in comparing the album to White Pony etc. - that was certainly the band's pinnacle and it's in the past. In their new form however, this is more than I could have hoped for. It is cohesive, mature, heavy and beautiful. In future years, we might be talking about some of these songs in the same breathe as My Own Summer, Change, 7 Words....it's that good. Listen to Rosemary, if you're unsure. Deftones continue to surprise me with their unique sound, fantastic song-writing, and endurance. Long may it continue. They're back.
on 18 February 2013
I will start by saying that I wasn't expecting this album to be as good as it is. I mean no disrespect to the Deftones, but I wasn't that taken with Saturday Night Wrist or Diamond Eyes. Koi No Yokan, on the other hand, is sublime from start to finish. It is heavy yet melodic, with wonderful vocals and crushing riffs. If I had to pick a stand out track, it would be 'Poltergeist', which crashes and soars from verse to chorus. For me it's the best album of 2012, and a mighty return to form for the Deftones.
on 11 April 2013
deftones produced some grand quality with their last album which was a marked improvement on saturday night wrist which strangled the life out of me at times, this is a step up in every direction.
Feeling dreamier than the band have for a while this album soothes and tortures in equal measure with his ability to bring quality to the fore. This is one band on form right here and now. A powerful album.
on 27 February 2013
Has anyone else ever noticed how the majority of people who write reviews tend to adore a particular product? Of course, everyone is entitled to their opinions, but I really must be listening to a different album from the people who claim this album is a masterpiece, or the Deftones best album. For me personally, it's nowhere near. I love the Deftones. LOVE. Saying that, this album sounds like a band whose sound has 'matured.' I don't mean that as a compliment either. The raw edge that gave depth to the Deftones' earlier work is missing here in my opinion. There are no anthems like, 'shut up and drive,' 'back to school,' 'change,' 'knife party,' etc etc... the whole album just sounded rather bland to me. Don't get me wrong, it's not a bad album, but having read all the positive reviews I was expecting something monumental, and I didn't find it here.

This album is probably a little more accessible that their earlier work, and as such, is an excellent entry point for new fans. The good news is that if you like this, you should love their other work - checkout, 'White Pony' and 'Around the Fur' as a starting point.
22 Comments| 4 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 15 March 2013
There's something about Deftones that sets them apart from the rest of the alt-metal/heavy rock bands around today. I guess the fact that they blend aggression and softness together so perfectly is a huge factor in what makes their music so interesting. But it's also the skill each band member possesses. Whether it's Stephen Carpenter's heavy layers of ambient guitar, Abe Cunningham's crisp snare, or Chino Moreno's effortlessly lush vocals, these guys are veterans of the metal scene and can always be relied upon to provide honest, integral and skillful music.

Koi No Yokan is just another step forward for these guys. They seem to have managed to balance all of their strengths perfectly on this album. Opening track 'Swerve City', with it's relentlessly heavy groove and dreamy verses makes for an ideal starting point, setting the mood for the rest of the album.

Second track 'Romantic Dreams' is vintage sounding Deftones, where they use their romantic/seductive sound that they do so well to soften the energetic blow of the previous track. Other stand out tracks include; 'Poltergeist', 'Tempest' and 'Goon Squad', and really, this is the first Deftones album since White Pony that doesn't have a single weak track.

The only reason that this album doesn't get 5 stars is because it would be nice to see Deftones try something really out of their comfort zone. I mean, they already have a pretty varied sound, and they are not scared to experiment, but this is still very much a typical Deftones album, just done especially well.

That being said, for anyone just getting into the band, this album (along with White Pony) is an ideal starting point, and is a release that Chino & Co should be proud of.
on 15 November 2012
This album is absolutely incredible, and probably the best since white pony. Deftones never fail to be so consistent, especially with allot of bands losing their edge nowadays. Every track is consistently good, and they all give us loads of variety, with some real stand-out tracks such as the aggressive 'Swerve City', chilling 'Leathers', and progressive monster 'Tempest'. Brilliant album from a brilliant band.
on 21 November 2012
Simply stunning on all levels. So much thought, energy and beauty oozing from every track. For me this is their best album, even better than Around the Fur.

Best tracks? well, they're all incredible but standouts for me are:

Graphic Nature
Romantic Dreams
44 Comments| 4 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 19 September 2013
The person I got this for loves it! The CD was fine, no problems at all. So I guess its all good.
on 8 April 2013
Once again deftones don't disappoint me. sosososososo good! Saw them live too last month and were ridiculous. Love this album!
on 17 June 2013
I thank the amazing Arnór Dan of Agent Fresco for pointing me in the direction of Deftones, who I have liked over the years but never owned an album of. Arnór sited Chino Moreno as the inspiration for his singing style so I took a closer look and decided to buy Koi No Yokan. Not disappointed!