on 15 July 2013
The is the first scanner I have ever owned. I bought it primarily for scanning a large collection of negatives where the original photos are already mounted in albums.

FIRST IMPRESSIONS - First impressions are very good. It has the feel of a well built, quality product - it's certainly a solid piece of kit. The USB port could be better positioned for how my desk is arranged (I would prefer it at the back), but this is a minor inconvenience. The negatives I've scanned so far have been mainly on the 'auto' setting, which makes it very quick & easy. I just put them in the special holder, close it, put the holder on the glass so it slots into place, shut the lid and click the button. The negative frames are then detected, scanned and saved. And that's it. Simple. The hardest part is working out which way to put them, but a little diagram on the holder is a constant reminder.

QUALITY - In my experience, the quality of scanned negatives isn't as good as scanned photos, which I did expect - the colours aren't as rich. However, that might partly be the fault of my old negatives, which are slightly warped. However, I'm happy with the results, and remember this is all on the 'auto' mode. There are plenty of options to play with to get the best out of the scanner, so I'm sure I could improve the quality. For the time being though, I'm happy to compromise slightly on quality to get everything scanned quickly, to get a backup of all my pre-digital photos. Once I've finished I may go back and get some higher quality versions of my favourites, direct from the photo instead of the negative.

PHOTOS - I've only scanned a few photos so far, mainly on the 'professional' mode to allow me a higher dpi. Here the quality is fantastic, allowing me to zoom in for a good level of detail. I prefer to do a basic scan and tweak afterwards in a paint program, but there are plenty of options to play with in the supplied software if you prefer. Indeed, it can be quite daunting in 'professional' mode (although there is a full user guide), but a 'home' mode is a useful compromise if 'auto' is too basic.

CONCLUSION - I'm very happy with this scanner. Getting started with the supplied software is a doddle, and scanning negatives on 'auto' is quick and easy. There are many options to fine tune the results if you wish, allowing you to get excellent results. I also like how you can store the negative holder in the lid - a small detail, but makes you feel this is a quality product.
55 comments| 90 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 8 December 2012
I have not fully exploited this machine yet as it is only a couple of weeks since purchase. However I can report that the scanning process is simple as the unit automatically recognises the source (photograph, colour slide and negatives).
With 4 slides or six negatives loaded the scanning process time is variable depending on the dpi selected. The auto functions reasonably quickly but you still must have patience! All results have been exceptional and above expectations and at 1200 dpi the pictures have been remarkably true, colours and definition. The software provided does its job well but you will probably want use a good photo editing package if you load below par source material.
I have more to learn but this is a super machine which will bring to life those boxed up memories. I did a lot of research prior to buying this unit and recommend the value for money Epson V370.
55 comments| 147 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
I already own a decent scanner built into a Canon all-in-one printer, but I bought this to enable me to scan in some old negatives. I tried one of the cheaper negative copiers that take a digital photo of the negative, but the results were quite poor - colour rendition was inaccurate, lighting varied across the photo, edges were artificially enhanced and the output was only available as a heavily compressed JPEG. I decided to try this scanner as the next step up, not being willing to pay for a dedicated professional negative scanner.

Frankly, having done so, I'm not sure what the benefits of a dedicated pro scanner would be - the results produced by the Epson are superb. Beautiful sharp images with more natural colour balance than the original prints had, perfect exposure (even on tricky nighttime shots) and no evidence of artificial processing. Scanning a negative at 3200 dpi takes a couple of minutes, but the results are worth the wait. Even on the default full-auto mode - just insert negatives and hit Scan - the results are more than acceptable.

I'll be returning the previous negative scanner, but this one's a keeper - if you are trying to rescue old negatives (and have the patience to wait a couple of minutes for each one), it's a brilliant tool.

One more note - a couple of reviewers say they have had problems getting it to work with Win7 64-bit - that's what I'm running, and it installed and worked perfectly first time.

Can't recommend this highly enough!

Edit - I've noticed one other reviewer has had problems with bands of colour when scanning negatives. I've seen the same, but it isn't a fault - it indicates that there is dirt or marks on the scanner glass under the calibration region of the negative holder. This is the empty rectangle at one end of the negative strip - make sure the glass under this is perfectly clean, and the banding will disappear.
55 comments| 161 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 15 October 2015
Bought to replace the dropped and now broken scanner. Also wanted to copy 35mm slides onto my computer. Previously I had purchased a slide copier that is basically a digital camera fixed in a cylinder and the slides are popped in one end and a snap is taken. The results were not bad but the photos looked bluish. Anyway, back to this scanner, we have bought a digital photo frame for my mother-in-law for her 80th and I'm copying all their three hundred something 35mm slides. The results are very pleasing and even viewed on a 50' telly look really great. See the attached taken back in the 1960s
review image
on 22 May 2015
I have hundreds upon hundreds of 35mm colour slides, mostly Kodak with cardboard frames, dating back to 1964 when I was serving in HM Forces in the Middle East. For some time I have wished to digitise them and have tried various bits of kit over the years to do so. The results have usually been pretty rubbish. I received the Epson Perfection V370 very promptly and properly packed.
It was pretty simple to set up, in spite of quite poor basic "instructions". The cd loaded with no problem (beware of a couple of little boxes offering "bloatware" which you need to untick!). Take your time working out which way up/round to fit the slide/negative holder to the glass plate, (the diagrams inside the lid help here) cos it`s very frustrating if you get it wrong.
Anyway, I loaded some 35mm colour slides from 1964 and set off. I am really pleased with the results. I`m sure the professionals among you would be able to find fault, but to my amateur eye they look fine on my pc and tv. Also, I`ve printed a couple onto glossy photographic paper and am happy with the results. Including loading and unloading the slide holder, I reckon it takes about 6 minutes for a set of four slides. The actual scan seems to take about one minute per slide
Loading four slides at a time, it`s going to take quite a time to get through all the slides, but what`s the rush? Ideal job for wet summer days and
grey winter ones. I`m pleased with this device and look forward to gaining some cupboard space when the slides are finished with!
on 11 January 2013
Mine arrived yesterday - firstly, unlike what is stated in one of the recent reviews, it actually works fine with 64 bit windows 7 (well, on my i7 Vaio laptop anyway) and also fine even with Windows 8 pro on my daughter's Netbook. When i first installed the disk, it said a new driver/software update was available from Epson and I chose to install via the update wizard rather than the software on the disk - maybe that's where the reviewer went wrong? Anyway, it's wrong to state it does not work with 64 bit W7 - proof is in the fact that I've been pressing the send to pdf/quick scan buttons for hours without a snag. Also, you can stop the 'epson event manager' process from starting at boot, so it's not just a constant running process. It starts when you turn your scanner on anyway, so is unnecessary when you're not scanning.

All this said, the software is a bit dated looking and clunky, some of the alert boxes even come up in Japanese. This isn't uncommon with software from Japanese firms though - their expertise is in hardware and they always seem years behind with slick GUIs etc. I went for the Epson as the other option in the price bracket was Canon and i'd therefore had the same kind of problems with their software anyway. Other reason for going Epson was my old canon n1220u still works perfectly, but they stopped making drivers for it (32 bit win7 yes but 64 bit no). I therefore wanted to take my trade elsewhere as a protest at that.

It gets 3 stars as it's much bigger than I expected and the big plug in transformer seems OTT for a low energy device - I miss that about the Canon, with the lide range being powered by the single USB cable. Also the results, although excellent are not a massive step up from my 10 year old Canon. When you think of how tech has moved on in that time, I was really hoping for something with a bit more wow. If you blow the results up in Photoshop, some detail is lost, even on pretty high res scans, and there is still a bit of colour cast that needs correction. Anyway, the CCD/LED Canon model 700F, which is the main competitor here , is 2 years old now, so I guess until they update that model, this still remains the best, up-to-date tech for under £100.
33 comments| 84 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 1 July 2014
I bought this scanner to replace an aging Epson perfection scanner from 2001, getting a bit tired. The V370 has proved a great replacement. We have used it extensively for scanning photographic prints, negatives and slides - the dedicated holders for these are brilliant and very convenient to use. The white backing plate and negative holders clip neatly into the scanner lid for storage, a great piece of design. For routine document or image scanning it has also been terrific. The included Epson software is easy to use with lots of options, so it has been easy to repurpose scans for anything from a simple document backup to an image for professional use. For the money this is hard to beat. One tip - a tiny speck of dust can upset the negative scanning calibration and can seem like a fault, so make sure to keep it clean!
on 12 July 2013
Me: Absolutely non-techie inclined, with a disability that means my hands are not good with equipment that requires a lot of fine motor skills.

My need: To scan about 700 old prints and 35mm slides without expensive hardware I may never use again.

The Epson: Set up was straightforward. Very easy to use. Prints just sit on the glass as for any scanner. For the slides, rest the frame on the glass, slot the slides on top. Simple.

Would've been nicer: If you could do more than 4 slides at a time. If it was a bit quieter.
VINE VOICEon 13 May 2016
Purchased this primarily to scan negatives - I was torn between a standalone negative scanner and a combo one like this. I do a fair bit of A4 scanning and find having a scanner quite useful anyway for graphic design so went with this one.

It's exactly what you expect for the price - a mid-range scanner that's not quick, but its slowness makes up for in quality and functionality.

The 'Epson Scan' software provided looks a little 1999, but it's perfectly simple to use and does the job. I believe you have to use this interface to scan negatives, but you can use other scanning softwares for general scanning.

The scanner as a document scanner is fine, quite slow buts that's reflected in the not-triple-figure price, the quality output is great with an interchangeable DPI. The machine itself is quite bulky and heavy, definitely doesn't match an Apple level of sleekness, but I have a pretty good system where I leave it in a draw but leave the power cable and USB pronged in at all times, then its pretty easy to whip out and connect when needed. The best likeness for size and weight is that its like a big 600 page glossy photo book or encyclopaedia.

I have tried scanning negatives and positive slide film, both comes out great. The quality of the scan is very colour accurate (see pictures - edits have included a curves boost but no colour editing from the film) and it's a really simple process, just take the white backer off and place negs in the holder, and hook it in to the appropriate slot. Set up the scan for negs and off we go. It has to do a preview first where you can see a tiny example of your photos, then you can select which ones from this and it does a full scan at the DPI of your choice.

The only bad points are that the glass needs to be super clean to not get dust - even with it as clean as possible I always get a bit of dust, takes no time of course to remove with spot heal on photoshop, but does prove how high quality the scan is that it will pick up anything in front of the neg. The other slight bad thing is that for high res scans (4800 dpi >) for 4 or so frames per neg, it can take up to 10 minutes. I chose to scan myself as I can get pretty cheap processing only and I shoot a lot of 35mm film, so its cost effective for me to scan myself, but sometimes the thing is so slow I do consider just paying the lab to scan for how much quicker it would have been.

Overall I would recommend if you're looking for an amateur level of scanning for both documents and negatives. I'm really happy with the results, but then I don't require it for anything professional. The price and its output works really well for me to scan a few things to keep digitally, put on my website and use to scan things in for further art working.
review image review image
on 12 February 2013
This is an amazing bit of kit! It is easy to use, and produces very high quality images which can be either printed or burned to CD. I have used it extensively for 35mm slides and colour negatives. Epson only make provision for 35mm, but it is possible to obtain a negative carrier for 120 roll film negatives from a firm called Unicomp.