on 10 March 2015
The Last Dragon Slayer is high end fantasy and is the first book in the Deathsworn Arc series. It is about a quest to kill a Noble Dragon.

Saul Karza is a wizard and he is travelling with two men from the North, and a dwarf. They have been sent by the Empress Jade to put down a dragon. They are travelling through the land of Torea in search of Silus Mendelson, the last know dragon slayer in the hope he can help them and will join them. The Empress had no warriors, archers or mages to send with Saul instead he must rely on mercenaries.

They find Silus in the village of Trest, sadly he no longer leads the life of a respected hero, but with little else to do each day he reluctantly agrees to join the band. As they leave Trest, they rescue a Gravian or dark Elf who was just about to be be-headed. Dashing from the scene they hope to have escaped but they are followed and face the angry Berger and his men.

There future looks bleak until they are saved by Vashni an elf and a thief. She has magical skills and can whisper into minds when needed. She's also a remarkable fighter. She decides to ride with the band and meet the dragon they must slay.

Together the band travel to Brunwelt to face the mighty dragon, they've become friends and a team whilst travelling and face the danger together. Just when they thought it over Saul tells them they must collect the dragon heart stones, powerful objects which will lead them on to their next adventure.

This is a well written book, with very good character descriptions and dialogue. Vashni quickly became the lead character with her lessons she taught Korhan. I would have liked to have seen more from Saul because he opened the book and was the leader. A couple of points became repetitive Kirkfell was the place everyone hoped to go in the afterlife, too many characters had the same line to say about it and I felt Vashni's two attempts to decipher Braels' curse were just a repeat of words the second time, there was a missed opportunity to drip feed us some more information about it.
on 25 April 2016
The Last Dragon Slayer is the first volume in the Deathsworn Arc. There's no lengthy set-up or world-building to drag things down though, instead author Martyn Stanley begins the action with the quest to slay a noble dragon well underway. So, an unlikely band of adventurers travel through strange lands and encounter magic and danger and philosophy.

Wait, what?

Stanley is demonstrably keen to give his fantasy series some intellectual heft to balance out all the elves, dark elves, and swordplay. So the quest narrative is studded with reflections on the moral conundrums thrown up by the party's adventures. Some of these, I think it's only fair to say, go on a bit, as every character in the party chips in their two pennies.

The characters are strong, for the most part. The most interesting character for me was the dark elf Brael, who fades somewhat from the last third of the book, as Vashni and Korhan's complex relationship takes centre stage. Of the others - well, let's just say that I was quickly worried that some characters might not make it to the sequel, and I was able to predict which ones they would be with some... confidence. As to whether I was right or not, read for yourselves!

Stylistically, Stanley's writing is strong. The action moves at a fair lick, and the fight sequences are gripping. The relationships, attitudes and motivation of all the characters are consistent and convincing. There is a thing, though, that may be a problem for some reasons.

It's one of those writing rules of thumb that even non-writers tend to know, which is that you shouldn't "head-hop", eg, each chapter or scene should be related from the point of view of just one character. The Last Dragon Slayer glories in tearing this to pieces. Each time the heroes get on their horses, the narrator cycles through the characters' heads in turn, as they chat to each other about the latest disruption to their quest.

I admit, it was jarring at first. Particularly as the author rarely splits the party. But writing rules are made to be broken, and while Stanley has broken this one into TINY pieces, he's clearly done it for a good reason, and he's completely consistent in his inconsistency.

The Last Dragon Slayer is an entertaining fantasy tale, setting up a series with great potential. I gather I read an updated version of the tale, and part of me is very curious to find out what was changed!
on 1 February 2016
When I started reading this book, I was struck by the resemblance to the Inn of the Prancing Pony scene in Lord of the Rings, where the hobbits are hoping to meet up with Gandalf.

And, to be frank, this book almost has the feel of fan fiction about it. Certainly very readable, and I enjoyed the distraction it provided, but neither the characters nor the storyline felt memorable to me. Additionally, despite the scenarios that the group found themselves in, I didn't have any real sense of peril or looming danger.

Overall, an adequate, but not dazzling, story.
on 29 March 2017
The story had some unique elements which I really took a shine to. As well as a story that, while its easy to see roughly where it was leading to, was not necessarily predictable.
on 3 June 2017
I am happily surprised by this book, I enjoyed the characters and the storyline. It reminded me of my gaming days with a full party:)
on 16 July 2017
Found it slightly dark but in a lighthearted way. The storytelling knew there was going to be a dark end but still continued to be a light read. The sarcasm in the book I liked from vashni but I know a lot wouldn't get it
on 26 March 2017
will get the rest
on 22 February 2017
This story is an enjoyable fantasy, well-written with a great cast of characters.

A wizard has been tasked with a quest, to kill the dragon menace, so with a diverse group, he begins the journey.

I think the story becomes really interesting with the introduction of Veshni, an intriguing elf, who is 'on the run'. I loved the ensuing relationship with her 'trainee'.

These characters make the story extremely good, whilst the plot, although not original, has all the right ingredients for an entertaining read.

Very well done.

Recommended.
on 7 April 2013
A fantasy tale of adventure and character interaction. The diversity of characters truly captivated me and this, together with the vivid description of places, really transports the reader into and easily makes them a part of the story. The author does a great job of creating a whole new world which is very rich in detail. It does have some elements of typical fantasy novels but the story is well thought out and captivates the reader from the beginning. Overall I thought it was well paced and a great read. I'd recommend this book to anyone who enjoys fantasy and a great tale.
I received this from Booklover Catlady Publicity in Exchange for an Honest review.

This is a good Read, But I found it wasn't overly for me! I think that is due to this being out of my normal comfort Zone. This is my first Dragon Book I have read, I found it okay it just didn't ignite that spark.

It took several pages to get into it and a little longer to finally understand who is who and what is going on.

It's based on a fun dangerous adventure where the heroes go on a journey to slay the Dragon, I liked the action, Also I found the Relationship between Korhan & Vashni great and very interesting. There is a lot going on, and this story is very well written! There are a lot of characters, the interaction between them all is good.

This book is the first in a series and even though I found book 1 not my thing I think I will go and purchase book2. ( however I will read book 1 again ) as sometimes I just find that second time around its better than the first especially if it's been a rush read first time around.

Overall thoughts are give it ago, I think even with my apprehension to this book ( though I did rush read this one)! It will do incredibly well, I think it will appeal to a wide range audience.