Customer reviews

on 19 July 2017
Love these books, highly recommend.
on 23 November 2013
Totally brilliant novel. Really REALLY enjoyed it. Very well written and worth every penny. This series is unique and this book was no different. Charley is hilarious, the characters are amazing. Highly recommended.
on 13 March 2014
Tho series just keeps getting better and better. Very well written and very humorous. Defiantly worth five fat stars. 🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟
on 4 January 2013
These books get better every time a new one one is released! Yes I am addicted to Reyes Reyes and the spacey way that Charlie names her body parts. Keep them coming.
on 11 November 2012
Fourth Grave Beneath My Feet is a fantastic addition to the amazing Charley Davidson series. Charley Davidson is the Grim Reaper and is such a great fun character. She is genuinely very funny and the book is filled with witty one liners and great chapter headings. As one would expect from a leading lady in an Urban Fantasy book Charley is kickass but we also see her vulnerable side too as Charley has locked herself away for two months too afraid to leave her flat after the events in the last book. As with all great leading ladies you also have to have a great leading man and we do with Reyes Farrow. He is my perfect male character, and I am completely in love with him. Sexy, hot, one minute Mr Nice Guy saving Charley's life the next Mr Badass backing Charley into a corner because he is mad at her and the image of him shirtless in those jeans....well what more can I say. You never know where Charley stands with Reyes and their teasing will they won't they relationship so far makes this series brilliant.

As well as the main plot in this book which is Charley's new case we also find out a lot about Charley's past and what being the Grim Reaper is and why the demons want her so much. But in as much as we get answers we also have so many more questions which leaves us begging for the next instalment.

If you want a great witty read with a funny female character and a hot sexy bad boy then please try these books. I love this series and it is a must read for Urban Fantasy fans. Ms Jones has pulled off yet another awesome book and I can't wait for July 2013 to get my hands on Fifth Grave Past the Light. I am going to give Fourth Grave Beneath My Feet 5 stars.
on 15 July 2016
After insomnia hit me firmly and squarely last night, i managed to finish this book :)

I love Ms Jones writing and i love the characters.

This was an ok book. it wasnt as gripping as the previous ones and felt a little like a filler book -alot of things were addressed/ approached/rectified....so it feels like the next book is going to be something more gripping.

When i say this was ok, it was a good book. It made us see more of Charley and her getting over the incidents of the last book.
It was great to finally have the "will-they-wont-they" finally happen between her and Reyes, although i would hate for it to now alter their sparky relationship...i felt Charleys frustration through Ms jones writing -well approached steamy scene wiht not too much "50 Shades" (thank god).

I look forward to the next one, it holds alot of promise....i hope it fulfills!
on 11 November 2012
Oh, this was exactly what I was in the mood for. I enjoyed every single minute of it! Sometimes I just need some goofy jokes told by some loveable and familiar characters, and that's exactly what Charley and gang provide, without fail, every time. As well as, in this instance, a good dose of action, interesting plot developments, and some more sombre moments that really make me excited for what's to come.

And it also has Reyes Farrow! Let's not forget him. He wasn't in it a great deal at first because Charley has been avoiding him (along with the rest of the world) for 2 months at the start of the book, ever since the happenings of the last instalment when Charley was brutally tortured. The fact that Reyes set her up for that seems to have pissed her off somewhat. Weird, huh?

That's actually a bit of a recurring theme in this series; betrayal. And it's so odd, because Charley is one of the most likeable, all-round awesome, not to mention hilarious of personages, and yet her closest friends and even family seem to keep dumping manure all over her. It's enough to give a girl a complex! I find it quite sad that in the face of these betrayals she still tries to maintain her humour and sarcasm, but it's only the thinnest of coverings for the hurt she is clearly experiencing :(

I'm quite liking the strained relationship between Charley and Reyes at the moment, as odd as that sounds. I feel like it's at least more real than him just turning up all the time and Charley melting into a big pile of girl goo, losing all coherent thought. She's analysing now, making decisions based on more than just lust. It's got a long way to go yet before it could be called a healthy relationship, but I now at least have hope for the future where they are concerned. Reyes also seems a lot more human (which is ironic) and a lot less cartoon-like in this instalment, which is a welcome development.

Charley really doesn't do anything by halves, and being depressed isn't any exception. She's really going to town on it at the start of this book--copious amounts of ice-cream, a burgeoning addiction to tele-shopping, and a couch that's developing a perfect moulded impression of her backside--all included. Feeling sorry for yourself is never attractive, but BFF Cookie soon puts things in perspective again. Then Charley gets hired in her P.I. capacity by a woman who's being tormented with dead bunnies left in her bed and other places. It's just what she needs to get her out of her funk.

The mystery was pretty good but slightly overshadowed by the Reyes stuff and also some other issues with her family. Not to mention Charley's own demons that she's working through. But the balance worked and, as I said, I enjoyed every minute of it.

I can't wait for book 5, Fifth Grave Past the Light, which releases in July 2013.
This series comes highly recommended as an audiobook, read by the very talented Lorelei King.

5 Stars ★★★★★
on 30 October 2012
As usual there is a good underlying mystery to solve, if Charley can just get up off the sofa and leave her apartment. After her ordeal at the hands of Earl Walker in the last book she is understandably reluctant to go out and has even bought herself a gun (which she wears even in her pyjamas).But with good support from friends and family she starts to look forward again. With a lot of action on the demon front and plenty of romance a good read.
on 15 November 2012
I have no idea from where Darynda Jones exploded onto my reading world but I am overjoyed that I've discovered her. This woman is a genius and long may she continue to write.

This book is pure entertainment of the highest order - as are all the others in the set. I have been swallowed whole into the world of Charley and simply can't get enough.

The book is fast paced, full of humour, sadness, surprises and bone deep love. Charley continues to be as loveable as ever and I have to say this is no small achievement as in many series of this genre the character begins to lose sparkle and wit after a few books. Not so with this feisty, adhd suffering, kookie weirdo. Although the unveiling of Charley's full powers is taking too long! I'm getting a little bit bothered by 'I can't tell you...you'll find out' line (that's the line people feed me during a movie when I want to know what happens at the end. Just tell me already!)

I also got the feeling that the author may be a little stuck with how the 'war' between good and evil will be played out. It didn't really add much to the plot for me but this didn't have a detrimental impact as the story seems to be mostly about Charley overcoming trauma and developing a relationship with Reyes. It will be interesting to see how this 'war' plot line will develop. Hopefully it will add to the excitement rather than turn this amazing series into something ridiculous.

I couldn't put it down and can't wait for the next installment. Loved, loved, loved it! Read it!
on 21 February 2016
Charley is very different in this book when compared to others. She may still have her quips, plus her ADD sends her mind spiralling off into wonderful musings; however this persona is a shield because she’s no longer the fearless Grim Reaper. Following the events in book 3 Charley has PTSD and is constantly fearful. This is particularly bad timing as demons are cloaking themselves within human flesh and the scent of her fear sends them into a maniacal blood lust. This story merges well with Charley’s latest investigation into a woman’s unproven claims that someone has been trying to kill her for years.

That aside, Charley is gaining quite the reputation as a crime solver but it leaves people questioning her methods. She can’t really say “hey, I talk to dead people and they help me solve their own deaths”. Charley may be emotionally vulnerable, but she proves just how powerful she is as the Grim Reaper. She has the potential to do anything she can imagine and I look forward to the time when she finally embraces her powers as she has one hell of an imagination. The final few chapters are truly tense and captivating but this author manages to end the story with a little bit of sass and charm plus there’s a very unexpected twist relating to Charley’s case.