on 21 May 2014
A really good read and should be available in schools to show that with tenacity and support you can not only do your best but can possibly achieve more than you could ever imagine.
on 12 September 2015
A good read
on 8 November 2012
Don't know how you remember all the dits I can just about remember Raleigh but this brought lots back, skimmer and boat dits excellent.
I have just about concluded reading this informative book. Having been at sea I can see all the pitfalls and his great sense of humour. A very enjoyable read. You have to be mad to go to sea it does help. I found it caryy
on 1 January 2014
This book grabbed me from the very beginning. A true story of the very real trials and tribulations of life in the Royal Navy - warts and all. It culminates in the narrations of truly heroic work by the author - the background to a news item which only briefly hit the headlines but could have had catastrophic consequences. Goes into amazing and fascinating detail.
on 14 December 2013
This book may not appeal to a lot of people but hits the target with me, I followed a similar route through my naval career about 18 years before the author. I would suspect the technicalities of a nuc back aft will baffle most people but to me it was like being back in the day. Loved every page of it.
on 8 November 2012
This book was interesting, as a former back aftie on bombers although never reaching the dizzy heights of NCOW it reminded me of a lot of things which i had forgotten over the years since leaving the mob. The story itself is interesting from a personal perspective and the underlying work ethic was a great reminder of the things we do to get the boat out to sea (sorry that ethic doesn't transfer to civilian life generally). My only criticism is the repeating of reactor basics, but i suppose if your unaware of what goes on then the reminders are welcome. But overall a great story with sufficient detail to remind me of times gone by.
on 28 June 2013
I started enjoying this book,almost straight away,with some great yarns,getting left behind in a foreign port (I've been there),having a bit of a nightmare whilst R.A.S.ing and so on.But for me,he started getting too technical. I of course can only speak for myself,but I have zero interest in what type of engine is on board a Leander class Frigate.Then to worsen matters even more,he only went and became a Tiff (spit),then whats worse then a tiff? Let me tell you,a smelly tiff,he went and joined the subs. So now I had more technical drivvle to put up with,this time nuclear drivvle at that! Shutting down reactors and God knows what.But by this time,I'd pretty much given up, and my page skipping was incessant,to the point I never actually finished the book. So the 3 stars, are for the first half of the book,and the 0 star is for the second half of the book.But if you are Technical minded,and have a passion for these things,you'll more than likely enjoy this read.Been ex Navy,I do like to read such books,the two that stand head and shoulders above the rest so far,are "When I was on the Tartar"and "Totally Steaming",both you can find on Amazon.
on 30 October 2012
Had the privilege of working with Steve during my time in the submarine service. A totally committed, professional and inspirational guy. Being heavily involved in the repair in Gibraltar and my friendship with steve made this a must read. I was not disappointed, great book.
One regret I feel is that the Navy missed a trick in not making a point in retaining Steve's services.
on 3 December 2012
Excellent read, brings back many memories and demonstrates the dangers submariners face as well as the stresses and strains on family life, not just for mariners though anyone with military interest will appreciate this book.