Customer reviews

on 1 December 2014
A powerful story and gripping at intervals, whilst the story keeps the narrative on track. Plenty of descriptive elements that explain the time in which the story is set. The characters are so well drawn, and the story threads around these characters kept me fascinated and I knew when I began to question some decisions, that I had been sucked into the era and the lives of the powerful within it, I seriously thought of reading the book over again, so that I could better understand the characters and the decisions they made at the time.
on 6 December 2013
Hadn't heard of this author before, but I can't recommend Lester Picker too highly - so highly that I've already downloaded his second book which continues the struggle to peacefully unify ancient Egypt, through his great grand-daughter, Mery. You almost feel like a fly on the wall, observing the people involved in trying to further unifiation for the good of all, and those trying to frustrate their efforts for their own self aggrandisement. The characters are well drawn as is the political and religious situation of that time, both of equal importance in this ancient society. They say that a good book has to have a worthy villain, and this book has several!
on 18 July 2017
Love Egyptian stories. This one set in an earlier period than I usually read but I enjoyed it. Was a bit confusing with the place names etc but once got that sorted was ok. Will buy the second book in the series
on 9 May 2017
At first, I got well into this book and it's similarity to Wilbur Smith's hero. Then, about mid-way through, the style seemed to change and I found it uninteresting. It is highly unlikely that I will read Book 2.
on 2 August 2017
Loved this book. Will be reading the rest of the series
on 12 June 2017
Not quite Wilber Smith, but a fair read.
on 8 June 2017
As always a fantastic read.
on 15 July 2017
Loved reading this series
on 11 July 2017
This is my first time reading Lester Picker. Not fully used to his style yet, but enjoyed this book. Have purchased the second in the series, so will see?
on 30 July 2017