on 2 December 2012
I'll admit I bought this purely for the looks - the GE9 is plated in a thin matt layer of 24K gold. The drive is all metal construction and with the large circular hole at the back, its easy enough to clip onto a keychain and there's little danger of it falling off. The underside is embossed with "Kingston" which helps in deciding which side is up. The USB contacts are at the other end and there is no cap to lose, you just push to insert the drive into a USB socket. After a bit of use, the gold plating at the connecter end does show a few signs of scuffing :-(

Kingston make three types of these DataTraveler drives (GE9, SE9, 109) and as far as I can tell, the innards are the same and it's only the external appearances which are different. (For a competing product, check out the Transcend T3 Gold - however, I don't like the exposed contacts on that)

GE9 - metal - gold - 8GB, 16GB
SE9 - metal - silver/champagne - 8GB, 16GB, 32GB, 64GB
109 - plastic - various colours - 4GB, 8GB, 16GB

Read and write speeds (taken from expreview) suggest read speed of 19MB/s and write speed of 5MB/s which is slightly better than the average cheap USB stick. In my own measurements, when transferrng a 1GB file to and from the stick, I achieved speeds of 15MB/s for read and 3MB/s for writes. Part of the reason for the discrepancy might be that I have both disk encryption and anti-virus running. The Physical size is 1.5 inch x 0.5 inch x 0.2 inch.

Being all metal, the GE9 and SE9 are the ones to go for, and at most places I've checked, the SE9 is sold for a lower price than the same sized GE9, with the SE9 16GB model being the best value. The price difference may suggest that the gold is real after all!
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 25 May 2016
My other half has a habit of damaging USB keys, not intentionally but through everyday use (as they are normally stored on her keys), so when I saw the option for a metal bodied USB key I opted to buy it straight away and..........several months later this is going strong, no signs of any damage and it looks really good as its not too large.
on 31 January 2017
Its slow, but small and fancy looking. Fits neatly in a keyring and has so far been robust enough for pocket life.
on 21 April 2017
very slow transfer rate
on 22 June 2017
Very slow, only usb 2.
on 21 July 2017
A lot of storage on a reasonably sized stick. Easy to use, but doesn't install well on all devices.
on 1 November 2015
You can't take away my shiny thing... The most reliable series of flashdrives I've ever bought. Bought the gold version because it was a present for my wife.
on 13 September 2017
Minuscule flash drive. Works perfectly.
on 3 July 2015
Great USB to use to keep all of my important documents on. The gold effect dose ware aware but generally looks great next to all of my other keys and charms. Love it super speedy little pen drive.
on 6 December 2017
Great product. Exactly as described.