Format: Audio CD|Change

on 23 January 2013
If you are a Rush fan you really ought to listen to this album. I suppose it may be an advantage if you appreciate classical music, but even if you don't, I'm sure you would be interested to hear these alternative versions of some of Rush's songs. There are nine splendid arrangements here, with one or two little surprises; don't expect purely orchestra, there are male and female soloists and choir making appearances, and there are rock style drums and guitar too. Buy the album to hear what is where, but what I will tell you is that Steve Rothery of Marillion plays on Working Man, and Adrian Smith of Iron Maiden plays on Red Barchetta. This a very cleverly conceived, arranged and executed piece of work. Pity there's only the first part of 2112, but there's only so much you can fit on one album! It's great. Buy and enjoy!
on 20 February 2013
What's to say - I loved this!

I'm a long-time Rush fan. I first came to them when "Hold Your Fire" was the most recent album, though I started with "All the world's a stage" and "Fly by night". This is just a wonderful, fun, uplifting take on their music through the ages. Even better, it's something that can be put in in the background when non-Rush fans are there, and they'll just think it's classical background music :)

I especially loved the little vocal at the end of 2112 overture ...

If you like Rush, I suggest you grab this. If you don't like Rush, I'm not really sure why you're even reading this review :)
on 24 February 2013
That said as a life long Rush fan I had to give this a go, not a huge classical fan but there are a couple of gems on this, Subdivisions is a treat. All tracks are recognisable and fairly easy on the ear. Doubt I will play it much, I am to much of a Rush purist for this but for an occasional play in the car it was worth the purchase.
on 20 November 2013
Sorry - I like classical music. I'm also a big, huge Rush fan. But this has no merit other than satisfying a mild curiosity - whether the arranger's or us Rush fans. After reading positive reviews, I gave it a chance. It was like Radio 2's "Friday night is Music Night" does Rush. Yeugh. My mother might listen to it as background music, but I can't imagine anybody other than the arranger's family, or avid Rush collectors buying it, and definitely nobody listening to it properly a second time. Just doesn't work. Beethoven's symphonies, Verdi's operas, etc were written with a particular sound in mind: likewise Rush's.

If I was going to give it my best shot, I'd think of arranging Xanadu, or Natural Science. But this is just keeping an orchestra in work (nothing wrong with that - just prefer more creativity), and not art or entertainment.

Actually - now I'm off to see if I can find more by the arranger - something more creative, to give him a chance (he must like Rush, after all, so can't be all bad).
on 23 December 2013
If you like Rush you will enjoy this, very easy to listen to and as a previous reviewer said, you can play this in the company of non-Rush fans who would probably enjoy it. The Royal Philharmonic Orchestra makes it more enjoyable. As a Rush fan, I cannot see the connection with the Dinosaur cover.
on 16 November 2013
The orchestra did a fine job with the music but i was let down when the choir n solo singers joined in they lacked the guts for the lyrics
on 30 January 2013
A excellent addition to any Rush fan's collection. Good track selection well interprited with a few nice surprises really enjoyable.
on 29 August 2013
A good unique attempt at re-creating the music of rush with a night at the proms feel. Much prefer the fully orchestrated tunes than the choral parts but nether the less a good easy listen
on 23 November 2014
I bought this for my friend who is a huge Rush fan as something different for his collection and he really enjoys listening to it and always commenting on it,very happy with purchase.
on 27 April 2013
When I first heard this i was slightly confused but soon grew to love it perfect for easy listening, almost as good musicianship as the masters themselves