Customer reviews

Size: Printer with Full Set of Inks|Change

TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 22 August 2013
I use this printer mainly to print off photographs, and it is excellent, the print quality is so professional even at the standard settings, and it's really quick too!

You have 2 trays. In one tray, I keep it loaded with my 6x4 photo paper, and keep my other tray loaded with A4. So I can easily change between these 2 sizes just by changing my paper size in the printer settings. But essentially what you can do is, if you like printing documents and photographs... you can keep the first tray loaded with up to 7x5 photo paper, and just use the a4 tray for normal a4 printing paper.

Ink is expensive, but actually quite reasonably priced compared to some other printers I have owned in the past. You can get some very good quality compatible ones from companies such as moreinks for slightly cheaper than the genuine inks, and they have a good and trusted reputation. I've used ink catridges in the past which totaled up to £100.

The automatic duplex is very useful, especially when you are printing out a lot of pages and want to save paper and time.

I highly recommend that you set up your printer for wireless use and connect to it like this so all your other computers can access it too. When installing the driver, be careful because a lot of other things gets included which can be a bit annoying, but some people may like the software that comes with it, but personally I don't.

I really do think that Canon have done well when designing this printer. The output tray automatically pops down if it's printing so you don't forget and cause a paper jam. The paper trays are inside the printer so no more dust collecting paper. Each ink cartridge has a status light which I believe is used to tell you which one needs replacing (let's face it, 5 ink catridges and when you get to replacing it you may forget which one has run out). I can't help but think that Canon have thought of the common printing problems and have done what they can to resolve some of them which always gets a thumbs up by me.

Whatever you want to print, photographs, documents etc, this is a printer suitable for all types of printing up to A4. You really can't go wrong. To me, Canon have packed features into this low priced printer, and I just had to buy it!

I hope this review helps you to decide on purchasing it or not. But for the price, you are getting an absolute bargain with the print quality and features.
99 Comments| 271 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 27 January 2014
I didn't buy this printer from Amazon, due to a catalogue of delivery confusion. However, I did pick one up at my local PC World and am so far very happy with it.
I wanted a photo printer that did just that - not one that tries to be a fax and a scanner as well. I had no need for the wi-fi option but a USB cable was supplied to get around that.
Results are good. It can be a tad noisy compared to the Canon Pixma iP4500 that it replaced, but it has a Quiet Setting (don't know what the trade-off has been when using this mode, but surely there must be one, or it would run quieter all the time?). There is no back feed, but it takes my 200gsm gloss photo paper which appears to have no difficulty in traveling round the rollers and back on itself. This makes for a smaller desk footprint that is further enhanced by the fact that the paper tray are situated in the base of the actual printer, which I like.
Regular plain paper printing is great as it can print both sides of a sheet of 80gsm paper, so can half your expense for that kind of material.
There are lots of printing gizmos included, that enable to include your photographs in templates that provide a number of useful printed items and the available range of settings mean that this a very flexible printer by any standard.
When you hit your "Print" icon, the paper delivery flap pops out automatically and doesn't have to clutter your desk for the duration.
I like this printer very much so far and if it gives me the quality and length of service that its Canon predecessor did I shall consider it money well spent.
I had to pay £10.00 more at PC World, but have since seen it only £5.00 more than the Amazon price (without a delivery charge) at a nearby Cartridge World.
on 22 April 2017
Quality of output is excellent. Just three issues:
1) the installation CD wouldn't read on the Mac Mini's normally very reliable CD/DVD drive so I had to download the software from the Cannon website, although my newer iMac 21" had no such issues when I tried the disc later at my home,
2) the instructions, whilst being in numerous languages (including my partner's native Latvian) were less than clear at times to both of us and I had to rely on my IT/Computing experience to work out what to do, and
3) the printout on the existing matt photo paper she has was 'muddy' whereas it is acceptable using my Epson WF 2010 printer with the same paper when I tried it later. (This printer is for my partner to use, not me.)
It hasn't been used long enough to be able to assess ink consumption, but in keeping with most Pixma printers we expect it to be higher than the Epson, but it has been bought for photo printing, not for general printing.
on 30 December 2014
An excellent printer with excellent photo printing, which would be expected with the DPI this printer has.

Set-up was not as easy as expected, which is why it's only 4/5. The WPS (automatic Wifi connection) failed to work several times with my Virgin 100MB broadband router. I have to put the CD in and run through the set-up with the CD - it does need a USB cable for a CD set-up but this comes with the printer.

The printer has two paper trays. One for A4 (The bottom one) and the top one for smaller sizes. When using AirPrint with Apple products to print photos the AirPrint defaults to the smaller tray and prints directly onto smaller photo paper very well. The only down side is that to print to the A4 paper tray you have to download the Canon Pixma App and print through that.

A neat little unit and apart from the slow ish initial set-up and the non-ability to print on A4 using AirPrint it's a very good printer.
on 24 November 2016
This is a great little wifi printer its quite easy to set up using the utility once its been set up you can remove the power and relocate it anywhere your home. It prints photos on a very nice glossy paper, ink usage depends one what your printing. I printed about 3 dozen photos maybe 3 dozen colour pages before it needed a cyan and a black which I think is decent. It serves me really well and the printer has 2 trays one for A4 and another for photo size and quality paper. The photo tray also has a part where you can put DVD's to print on but I haven't tried this yet.
on 20 July 2017
Very good printer. I wish it had a scanner. As I have a lot of inks from a Canon Printer that broke down after 13 months and I took it to a re cycling centre. I was able to use the inks that I had already at home. I normally give them away to charity if I cannot get a compatible printer.

As I print digital photo's now and again I like to have a printer that can print up to 24 million pixels. There is not to many printers on the market can do this at a reasonable price. Epson, Lexmark and many more do not.
on 27 July 2017
I realised I bought this in 2014 but forgot to review it. This is testament to how good its been, its now 2017 and the printer has performed flawlessly for 3 years. Its get quite heavy use and abuse from the whole family, printing pictures, school presentation ets but hasnt missed a beat. I have found its better with Canon paper but any GOOD quality paper works well. The colours are clean and vibrant and everything you would expect from Canon. Top class printer and still going strong.
on 6 August 2017
This is my 4th Canon - average life (used hard) is about 5 years. Each printer has been better quality and cheaper than its predecessor, at this rate the next one will be free and with a gazillion dpi!

This my third Pixma has a nice low profile but is a bit deeper than the iP3600 it replaces. I choose these machines because the cost of ink cartridges is so reasonable. I always use after-market no brand refills and have never had a problem. Quality of the prints is of course better than the previous model. I think regular use and keeping out of direct sunlight helps prevent blockages.
on 30 June 2015
When I first reviewed this product I gave it a 4 out of 5 stars ultimately saying it was an excellent printer for my photographic and general needs however after living with this printer for an extended amount of time I think it's definitely time to update this review.

First of all the printer is slow to begin printing. The printer is always on/in standby and when I send something to print i.e. a Word document, it likes to take its merry old time deciding what to do before it starts printing. This is the case when using the printer over wi-fi or using the provided usb cable, I'm also aware that this can also be caused by large print data but this is a word document, there should be no issues here. If you're a photographer looking to purchase this printer I wouldn't recommend it, especially if you do a lot of photobooth's where needing a fast printer is ESSENTIAL!

Second, after owning this for a month the unit I owned unexpectedly died on me during a job I was doing. I lost out on money and my client lost out on money for a wasted day, not good. When trying to find the source of the problem I kept getting the same error code (cannot remember what this was) but the gist of it was there was a 'foreign' object inside the printer (the example the software gave me was a paper clip) now the only way to really open this printer up yourself unless is via the ink tray and there's not much you can do from there. After finding nothing inside the printer and finding no resolution the ink trays then decided to not function and stopped moving from side to side, not good for a month old unit. On the plus side Canon were very helpful on the phone and explaining I would need to send it back to there repair centre to have it looked at. Within two weeks I had a new unit sent out to me, this was obviously a refurb unit as I could see old ripped off postage stickers etc. It would of been nice to have a brand new one especially because I hadn't had it for long but up to this point (January 2016) no further issues have occurred.

Overall after purchasing back in May 2015, I'm already looking to sell this printer and be rid of it, as its caused more problems than its worth (smaller issues such as deciding it would reset all it's settings so I'd no longer be connected to wi-fi and would have to go through the set up process again). Hopefully I can find a replacement soon.
22 Comments|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 16 June 2017
Upsides - it's cheap and the printing is good quality.
Downsides - it's fiddly to set up the wi-fi connection, the connection isn't always reliable, particularly for AirPlay (even when the product is feet away from the router), and the warm-up time before printing is considerable.