Customer reviews

PIXMA IP7250 SINGLE FUNCTION
Size: Printer with Full Set of Inks|Change

on 13 February 2014
I've had this printer for over 6 months now. I've had a lot of similar Canon printers in my time and this is probably the poorest one.
If you want to print on anything thicker than ink jet paper forget it. I used to be able to print out birthday days on previous printers but this one jams every time. The ink is also very expensive. it looses wi-fi reception all the time. I'm kind of hoping it will break so I can buy another one.
33 Comments| 13 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 17 August 2017
Good printer for the money
on 20 August 2017
Really great printer does everything you need it to and prints onto discs! Best thing about this printer though is the ink is Really cheap! So you can print all you like! The quality of the print is fab also.
on 22 August 2013
I bought this printer to use all the functions it purports to perform. i.e. text, photo and CD/DVD printing.

For the price of the item the print quality, with the bonus of Wireless utility (provided you have a suitable wireless router) is very good - no complaints.

It is quite frustrating the way it seems to endlessly chunter away (presumably purging the print heads) before printing anything and after printing. It seems to do it when just idling in stand-by; it appears to have a mind of its own, but for the price I can live with that.

I do a fair bit of CD/DVD printing and have always used Epson printers that have excellent software to run that utility.

I bought this item assuming that the CD/DVD print software supplied would be a `reasonable' standard given this printer is newly released and from a world renowned brand.
The printer comes with an archaic software package called `Canon My Image Garden' and the CD print utility is tucked away inside it. It's almost like Canon are embarrassed about the CD print utility; and well they might be. It is the most annoying, counter intuitive, inflexible, pathetic, and for me personally, totally useless piece of software I've seen for years.
After much digging with Canon drivers etc it transpired that an old cd/dvd print software driver (not supplied with this printer) will work with this newest printer. It was superseded by the 'My Image Garden' print CD/dvd software. (God knows why).
I downloaded the old cd/dvd print driver/package from their EUR website and it works just fine. Very similar to the Epson CD print software for those familiar.(see comment no.1 for more info)
The cd print utility within the supplied software package may be ok for many users but was too basic for my needs.
Notwithstanding the cd print 'confusion', it is a decent printer made all the more attractive by the price. Mind you, I have not tried to buy new ink cartridges yet.
on 9 February 2014
Bought this afternoon in a shop in town. As soon as I got it home I installed the driver software from the CD onto an iMac running OSX 10.6.8. Within half an hour we were printing text and photos. No complaints at all. The driver/printer interface was completely logical, text printing is very good, and the photos it prints are as good, or better, than what we can get printed in town at any photographers.
However we actually bought this printer for an old eMac G4 that my wife uses to print photos of her watercolours. This computer is the only Mac we know that can switch between systems 9 and 10 - And the ability to still use system 9 is important to us because it is a link back to our applications and our old digital archives of 25 years ago that we can't open on system 10.
Sadly, the software that came with the Canon 7250 would not work on System 10.4 (which must be too old a system (or maybe it was the G4 chip that was too old. Maybe the driver needed an Intel chip)). Anyway, I hunted through the Canon site on-line looking for a driver that would work with 10.4 I found one called mepe-mac-4_1_6-ea11.dmg, but could not get it to work.
Working down the Google page I then came to the "Printfab" site. They seemed to have a "Swiss Army knife type of application that carried numerous drivers for all sorts of printers. System 10.4 was on their list, together with the Canon iP7250, so I downloaded "printfab-2.61.dmg" on a free 30 day trial. I installed it on the eMac and it worked perfectly - pages of text and pictures galore, with no problem.
In a month's time, if we are still using this printfab dfriver we will have to pay a 49 euros licence fee to them in Germany, but it will be worth it.
Maybe this info is of help to others who still needs to use older software and Mac operating systems to access old documents and archives.
Regarding the printer itself, I don't like it being black but that's my only complaint (apart from the generally universal gripe about the cost of inks). Mechanically it seems solid enough to last for years.
Some reviewers have complained of the noise it makes but either they have super-efficient ears or we got a quiet one - it clicks and whirs when it is working, but the sound is pleasant.
Other good points are ... We really like the way you can put your A4 letter paper in one tray under the machine, and the glossy photo paper in a second tray, also under the machine. This way they are out of sight, out of the light and out of the dust.
Also we like the fact that the front delivery door can be kept closed, and it opens itself automatically during printing to form a tray for the printed sheets or photos.
These are first impressions - time will tell - but for the price it is hard to find better value. So far we like it better than the Canon 5200 it replaces, and that was very good.
on 19 March 2017
Slow ,Noisy and wastes a ridiculous amount of ink.A very poorly put together printer
on 9 November 2014
This rather massive printer produces excellent quality prints, but it goes through many very noisy and lengthy self-cleaning operations before, and/or sometimes after, operation. It is also heavy on ink usage; according to some people it uses as much ink in low usage as it does in high usage as the cleaning process wastes ink. I now use lower-cost compatible inks with as good results as when using Canon's own expensive ones.

Also, it would only print greyscale when I tried to print colour pictures stored in my Microsoft Picture Library. I contacted Canon's help desk and was told that I should re-locate all my pictures (thousands of them!) into the printer's own photo-filing software (the ridiculously named 'My Image Garden') as Canon software is not designed to be compatible with other makers' products. I've found a way around this problem but am shocked that the printer is not intended to work directly with the Microsoft picture filing system that is surely used by millions of people worldwide.

I came close to giving this printer 3 stars as it does produce fine quality prints, however it still annoys me every time I use it so I think 2 stars is appropriate. Unfortunately the Canon scanner that I bought at around the same time is also a bit below the standard it was hyped up to be, so I'll be looking at other makes in future.
on 15 January 2014
Bought this as a gift for my sister. A breeze to install, especially the wireless.High quality text printing and a very good standard in photo printing. A great price for a true bargain.
on 25 November 2016
I bought several of these primarily to print to disk. They do the job, the compatible (i.e.. not manufactured by Canon) ink cartridges are inexpensive.

However the printers have a mind of their own, at startup they go through a noisy routine where you hear whirrs, rattles, cracks and a general cacophony that leaves you wondering if the printer will still be in one piece by the end of it ... it seems to be. But that performance can happen at any time between print jobs and for absolutely no reason ... hence you can spend literally minutes waiting for the printer to sort out its brain before yu can continue printing.

The software supplied - "My Image Garden" - is absolutely junk for printing to disk, I tried it for some time and got so frustrated with it I bought software from elsewhere .... seriously don't use it, just buy software or get some for free and save yourself the stress!

Would I recommend this printer? Strangely enough yes!. Why? Because there are not too many printers out there that can print to disk so your options are somewhat limited, plus this printer is cheap to buy and cheap to run and that is enough for me to recommend it but with the caveats as listed above.
on 16 June 2014
I had used a canon iP4200 for very many years and found it to be excellent I like Canon products and this seemed to be the nearest equivalent so I bought one. I am disappointed that the printing of envelopes is a much more complicated procedure than that on the iP4200 which featured two paper feeds, one of which was loaded with A4 paper and the other accepted envelopes. One could print an A4 letter using one feed and simply press a button to switch to the envelope feed with no need to do anything else. The iP7250 has 2 paper feed cassettes one of which is fine for photo printing but to print an envelope one has empty the A4 cassette, reset the width and length guides to the DL-size envelope setting and then load the envelope(s) to print an envelope after which one had to reset the width and height guides to A4 size and reload the cassettes with the earlier-removed A4 paper - a very tiresome operation compared with the good old iP4200 which is no longer manufactured. I have had to follow a tip I saw online which to forget printing envelopes and substitute printing a sticky label but even this method is more complicated than the good old iP4200. Bring back the earlier and more user friendly iP4200 !