on 20 January 2013
I just bought this printer to replace a 7 year old HP that was the best printer I'd ever bought. So my replacement had to be even better! After seeing over the years that Canon printers win lots of reviews, I decided to take the plunge on the MG6350. I made the right choice! So far I've only tested a few of its features:

1. AirPrint - Using with my iPad and iPhone, its very easy and the prints just come out - no effort, no fussing and no fiddling about.
2. Canon iEPP app - An easy to use app that you can scan from, or open PDFs / JPGs in and then print out. Again, you just tell it what to do and it happens!
3. The scanner - I don't do a lot of scanning, but I still wanted to test it out. I told the printer to scan to email, and it did the scan, opened up my email client and attached it to a new message, ready for me to send it. It just worked - magic!

I use the MG6350 on wireless and this works well. I have the printer in the same room as the router, so can't comment on signal in a different room, but I can comment on setting the wireless up. As long as you give the printer the correct details for your wireless setup, it takes all of 5min to do!

I also did some photo printing to put the printer through its paces, and based on my old HP, I did have concerns that this one wouldn't be as good - how wrong I was! The quality is amazing. I'd even go so far as to say it bests my HP. I gave it a wide range of scenes and colours, and it didn't break sweat...so 11 / 10 for quality!

The printer has memory card slots on it, which you can set up to be accessed across your network. This isn't something I need, but I did try it out and it all worked fine.

Installation is a breeze - follow the enclosed installation guide and the printer sets itself up, prompting you now and again to do things. Very easy and took at most 25min.

The design is nice and clean - its a clever device in that only the relevant buttons (capacitive) light up depending on what you're doing..looks cool and shows Canon thought about design carefully.

Other - there are a few web services built-in. Google Cloud print, which seems to work perfectly well, and the useful feature of the printer being able to download templates for things like graph paper and notepaper - doesn't sound interesting, BUT its surprisingly handy if you need to take notes and don't want to use scraps of paper...just tell it to print notepaper!

In summary - this is a VERY good printer and I think anyone that buys it won't be disappointed. The only negative I would point out is that you insert the installation CD and it then promptly downloads the drivers from the web, I'm not sure what the purpose of the CD is. I'm a Mac user, perhaps there is Windows applications on there..I don't know. Rather like Apple products, the printer just works! It works quickly, quietly and with excellent quality - and you really cannot ask for more than that.
55 comments| 155 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 7 June 2013
Got this printer to replace my Canon MP640 printer which needed the print head replacing - looking at the cost of replacing the print head vs buying new, I decided to replace the printer.

The new printer looks a modern and is a slimmer design. Having both the primary and secondary print trays is an advantage over my previous printer, where the secondary print tray was at the back of the printer. The only disadvantage over my previous printer is the capacity of the primary paper tray - where it holds 25 sheets less than my previous printer - not not really a big issue.

The new printer build quality seems to be better that the equally priced HP and Brother printers I looked at in a local store.

Installation is very straight forward - although it takes about 20min to install the software on the PCs that will use the printer

Print quality looks good - I am using the 'fast' mode to keep ink usage as low as possible, but even in this more the documents are very good - good enough for most letters, print out etc. I tried printing a photo and this was also very good.
22 comments| 107 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 20 November 2012
The printer arrived in an attractive looking retail box which had a nice big picture of the printer on it along with descriptions of the features at the back. Nothing out of the ordinary here, but it was nice glancing around the box reading some of the features before opening it.

I was surprised to find the printer placed vertically padded with four PVC foam protectors on each corner. The ink cartridges were sellotaped to one of the PVC pieces which I found rather weird as I was expecting them to be placed in a more secure location inside the packaging. The printer was wrapped in a grey bag which is quite typical of all Canon printers. Inside were some manuals, service material, special Canon print-test paper, and three free photo sheets measuring 6"x4".

The photo papers were blank at the back with no Canon logos, while the retail versions have the logos on them. They come in packs of 50.

I noticed that the power cord (tape wire) did not fit in snugly and felt like it wasn't even plugged in properly.

Upon startup, the printer took it's time initialising. 6 minutes to be exact. I found this to be quite long but once fully started, it didn't go through the same process again. After installing the six ink cartridges, I began setting up the Wirelass LAN connection which was very easy to do on the touchscreen. In a couple of minutes I was able to print some test photos from an Android mobile phone and the results were superb. I noticed the colours were a bit high in contrast but then again, I printed everything on the default settings.

That said, the image quality is perfect. Absolutely brilliant. I couldn't have asked for a better picture (despite the high contrast which can be customised and set lower later).

I then started my PC and installed the Canon drivers. The driver software recognised the printer wirelessly (you can also choose to use a USB cable). I already knew how the photo quality was, so I decided to test the scanner.

Scanning on the MG6350 is very easy. There are two ways to scan. You can scan from the PC or scan using the touchscreen controls on the printer itself. I find the latter much more easier. If you scan directly from the printer, you can choose where to save the scan image. Either to the PC (which comes up on the screen) or a memory card. Once you press OK, it takes a few seconds and the scan is done. You can also press "COPY" and it prints the scan on paper very quickly. Of course, you can choose to scan in both colour or black-and-white.

I scanned a utility bill and I found it to look 95% like the original thing in terms of colours, contrast, and even clarity. Wow, it really impressed me.

Sorry for the not-so-technical review, but these are just my thoughts on the printer. Bless you.

Amin
77 comments| 178 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 7 October 2013
I bought this as a replacement for my old canon i850 which had died. I did loads of research so thought that it would be better than it is.
Set up for the wireless printer on a desktop PC (running Windows Vista) was painless & easy but the scanner does not work & I am really frustrated with this - Canon support is not great.
I have tried to set this printer up wirelessly with a laptop running Windows 7 - it will not work. I have tried to download drivers from Canon site without success so I am really frustrated now, one of the selling points to me was wireless ability so have been extremely let down with the failures & lack of support.
Printing quality is good but it is slow & noisy which seems very odd with such a new high tech product.

At this point in time I would not recommend & I am usually a Canon fan.

I have now been using this since October 2013. I eventually got the scanner to work after requesting support twice - I had been given the wrong driver links! The laptop windows 7 is now working I assume that when I eventually got the correct driver link for the scanner it helped that problem too.
I remain disappointed as it seems to take ages to warm up & eventually print - I am left with the feeling is it going to work. Scanning also seems an arduous task for the machine.
All in all for a Canon product I am very disappointed it is not their normal high quality & I note it has dropped a lot in price since I got mine - is that significant.
on 9 May 2014
I thought we put a lot of time and effort into researching what printer to buy, but clearly nowhere near enough was done. The brief was a printer/ scanner with wireless that put the emphasis on the printing of photos over document print quality, getting the best for our budget. All I can say is we are bitterly disappointed with this printer and 14 months in we have thrown in the towel. Why?

Running costs- this thing consumes ink at a jaw dropping rate. We even went so far as to banning the kids from printing and restricting any printing full stop just to gray scale documents, with the odd colour output for homework. Yet still every 6-8 weeks we were changing one or more colour cartridges. Whether they were the XL or normal 551 versions. In the 14 months we've had this we have gone through approximately £330 of colour ink alone. Which nearly made me fall off my chair when we have so little to show for that cost. Even taking into account scrapped photo prints, we'd still have little to show. The last two months I've kept a careful eye on the printing done and calculated we get less than a quarter of what Canon quote you get from cartridges, even with the printer set to economy printing.

Print quality- dubious. Now let me be clear, we've tried every brand, grade, finish and combination of those of paper on the market. Yet still prints are often dull, or washed out, or murky. Or the highlights so blown out I've even reprocessed image files through every possible software I could find convinced we were doing something wrong. I did find the Mac drivers had a tendency to make the printing heavy on the cyan and I went to the trouble of calibrating the output to accommodate this. Still rubbish. Even printing straight off the memory card to bypass any print driver interference still produced the same haphazard quality and washed out pictures. On the printer screen is this beautiful image and what comes out is just shocking. Which I find insane as every so often a great picture will pop out that sparkles. A lot of printing has gone in the bin and when you factor in the ink usage levels... ouch!

Given the wasted printing through poor quality output, the money wasted on paper and massive amount of ink used, I've gone back to sending images to be printed by a mid range printing service. It's still cheaper per print having triple the amount done than those done with this thing the last 14 months!!

Usability- This is the day to day scenario with this printer... switch on printer to start warm up, go into kitchen and boil kettle to make everyone a drink. Make said drink and nose in the garden for a few moments. Return to printer nearly five minutes later and it might JUST having finished the warm up routine, but not always! What a song and dance! Knocking, whirring, clicking, banging, shaking the table as it does it's thing. Finally when it does start printing the buffering speed is painful and it just makes you feel like you wished you hadn't bothered. Especially when you want to switch it off and the cool down routine is the same as the start up! It's not even like the print quality is worth it either!!!!

This is no exaggeration... whilst the homework should have been printed the night before, waiting for this printer to start up and finally print a two page piece of homework actually made us late at school the one day by over five minutes.

There is nothing good at all to say about this printer. The flatbed scanner is good quality but to be honest, what one ISN'T these days?! I've heard myself yelling and swearing at it to 'just come on for etc etc', and that sentiment is extremely indicative of how my partner and I feel about it. Bitterly disappointed and we can't wait to see the back of it.
on 10 January 2013
At the beginning I would like to say this is my first photo printer.
I am using a Mac, the setup was easy on WiFi, downloaded the drivers from Canon's website. I wanted to try a usb as well, but manufacturer did not put one in the box (poor decision IMO). I chose Canon, because I shoot with Canon DSLR (7D) and 90% of my lenses are the same brand and so far I have been pretty delighted. Let me try to divide my thoughts in pros and cons:

PROS:
1) good connectivity - WiFi, AirPlay, USB, LAN, CF (!) and SD cards...
2) nice design, although it attracts some fingerprints and dust
3) fast for printing documents and especially like the duplex function for saving paper
4) good speed for scans as well (however I didn't find it any faster than my 10 year old Epson photo perfection 2580). I haven't used it yet for more intensive photos scanning so I can't say how are the colours and quality. I hope well - this is Canon after all.
5) pretty straight forward menu on the touch panel which I am sure many would like. Had some difficulties finding the WiFi mac address - it is situated in setup/device settings/Lan settings/confirm LAN settings/WLAN setting list.
6) great online support! I had problem with scanning from the touch panel directly to my mac. Wrote to Canon and in few days they issued a new driver and the problem was fixed!

CONS:
1) as another reviewer mentioned - it really is LOUD. It vibrates a lot on my massive three story drawer, sometimes without reason (like few minutes after printing something). I didn't find the quiet function to make a difference.
2) I needed some time until I found the best settings for printing photos. Mine came with a lot warmer colours than intended. Also the quality of the first few 4x6" wasn't good at all. I could easily spot the dots. After some try outs I found that if you choose a better quality for photo paper before printing, it actually prints much much better! So, just choose PT1/2 (this is for the Pro Platinum Canon paper). Also the colours are much more accurate. It appears to me like Canon wants you to buy more expensive photo paper in order to achieve better quality.. Looks like a cheap trick to me. Maybe I am wrong, but these are my experiences so far. And even after more than 50 photos printed, I am still not convinced in this so-called Photo Lab quality. The photo studio nearby prints better looking photos for less money: 0.07-0.16 EUR (because if I want quality prints, I should use at least Photo Glossy Plus II and it cost 0.18 EUR + additional for the INK which is expensive as well). I should say that I print via Photoshop on 300 DPI, HQ..

For conclusion, I am with mixed feelings. I am somewhat pleased with it so far. However my problems with the printer make me set a 4 star review for now.. The main reason I bought it, was printing my photographs.
If anyone has some advices on how to achieve the best possible quality photo print, please reply to this review.
Thanks for reading, it is my first review on Amazon (I think) :)
44 comments| 37 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 25 March 2013
My initial impression of this printer was very positive. A great printer. A great price. But then the trouble began.

First, inside a couple of weeks, the front panel touch screen froze and despite unplugging the unit for 60 seconds, it failed to come back to life. Amazon sent a replacement.

My replacement had the same problem after a couple of months. Despite being outside the 30-day return period, Amazon agreed to a full refund. Really Amazon, you do excel yourselves all the time, I just love Amazon. Maybe I just got unlucky, but 2 different printers with the same problem? And yet nobody on this forum has reported the problem.

The Canon ink is also pretty expensive and as yet there are no cheap compatible cartridges. The start-up time can be frustratingly long.

I then purchased an Epson XP-750 which is pretty similar. I've only had it a short time but it is looking a better printer. The start-up time is much quicker, print time is quicker, proper Epson cartridges are cheaper and there are even-cheaper compatible cartridges.

Before I shipped up my Canon to return it, I printed a few 4x6 photos so I could compare it with the Epson. (the lack of the front panel doesn't stop printing). I have now compared the pictures side-by-side and the Epson wins by a landslide. I didn't think there would be much in it, but there is.

Summary: Has the potential to be a great printer, but for me reliability, expensive inks and photo-print quality let it down.
66 comments| 65 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 3 January 2014
The set up instructions are quite badly put together. When setting it up a warning light came on and the power would not work. It would not allow me to use the onscreen set up - presumably due to the warning light. You would think they would include a troubleshooting guide with explanations for any warning lights, etc. but no. I spent thirty minutes trying to get an instruction manual - there is one on the disk supplied - apparently - but that would not allow me to open it. It seemed to be just an internet connection process. I am fairly technically minded and have not come across such a poor set up procedure. There was no online manual anywhere, including Canon's home page and technical support forums. Therefore, if there is any problem beyond the quick start guide, you are left rudderless. Sent back to Amazon for refund. I will go back to Epson I think.
on 19 April 2013
I pondered long and hard before I bought this printer. I read lots of reviews and changed my mind quite a few times!

My first choice printer was an Epson XP850, but the price and the fact that the single sheet loader was at the back put me off; I make greetings cards and wanted a printer that could deal with 250+ gsm card, could fit in a relatively small space, supported airprint and could print good quality edge-to-edge. This printer ticked most of my boxes.

The printer was very easy to set up straight from the box. The wireless worked first time and I was ready to go in about half an hour.

The airprint worked immediately with no messing about - I tested with an ipad 2 and iphone 5 and the prints were equal quality to those from my PC. It will also print from Android phones but I didn't have one to test with.

The print quality is very good, a little lighter than the HP 950C it replaced, but only a smidgeon. I've printed 20 or so documents and 2 photos and, except for the grey, the ink levels haven't moved (the level for the grey has just moved a tiny fraction off full).

It's fairly quick printing, however it can take a few minutes to get going from idle. It churns away but once started is quick and efficient. It has an A4 tray and a photo paper tray and defaults to the correct one automatically, the edge-to-edge photo printing was perfect, as was card printing.

The printer can print directly from a camera card, it takes CF, SD and MS cards. The touchscreen makes it easy to operate, the screen is large and clear.

The printer is larger than my old one, it's footprint is about 36cm deep (45 cm with the front document guide down) by 48 cm wide, but it still fits neatly into the corner occupied by my old one.

The blurb says that the printer is auto duplex but that wasn't the case. However, I just set it as a default in the print settings menu.

The scanner is a servicable 2400 X 4800, however I have only given it a limited test to make sure that it works as I have 6400 X 9600 scanner which I'll continue to use. The 6350 does the job I would expect from the spec producing good quality copies and scans.

There is the functionality to print over the internet from a remote location but I can't for the life of me think when I would use it so I haven't tested it. (Perhaps someone can enlighten me?)

As other reviewers mention, the only downside is the noise the printer makes when processing even the most uncomplicated job - It isn't intolerable but it is noticeable.

All in all though, I'm glad I chose this make and model.
on 9 July 2013
Ordered this following the premature expiry of my Pixma MP640. I considered moving away from Canon but decided to give them another chance because the MP640 was up until its demise, an excellent printer. Also extensive research and comparison led me to to conclude, I would be crazy not to try the MG-6350.

So far I have been delighted by the results.

WiFi applications work seemlessly with all my families laptops, tablets, smart phones etc. Love the remote printing options being able to print a photo from anywhere in the world is brilliant.

Just a word about set up. No one should fail in setting this printer up for wirelesss operation. Its simple and just works.

Document print quality is absolutely faultless, even in fast mode it is very good.

Photo printing is superb, straight out of the box the edge to edge results on bog standard photo paper was startling; vibrant with excellent contrast and no detectable gradation.

Scanning documents to email, file etc was as I have come to expect from Canon just gets the job done.

Scanning photos to file or print is a revelation; I showed a copy of the printed scanned photo and the original to a few mates, they could not tell the difference, although one of them guessed right.

Opeation is whisper quiet except for the initialization phase when switching on before printing which seemed noisy, although I have my printer placed on a surface that has a hollow/void underneath it which could amplify the sound.

Styling in piano black is superb but I keep a cover on mine as I suspect it would attract dust.

Usual Canon software installs are available, some are very useful and some are bettered by third party apps, worth a look though.

Ink replacement. Although I keep a set of canon inks for critical photo prints I have no issue with third party inks from Inkredible, my MP640 produced results that were more than competitive with the canon original replacements at a fraction of the price.

I don't print enormous quantities of documents but I don't use best quality unless I need to send outside.I know some users have mentioned high ink consumption but it's not my experience currently.

Conclusion. Had this unit for a few weeks now so feel ready to give some genuine in use impressions.

In my opinion this is a brilliant piece of kit with amazing fuctionality but more importantly produces results that would challenge other much more expensive standalone printers.

If it overcomes my fear of premature expiry of my last Canon, I have no doubt that I will be in awe of this little wizzard for a long time to come.