Customer reviews

Format: Kindle Edition|Change
Price:£2.98

on 9 January 2014
The book continues where the first left off and gets better and better. Absolutely no negative comments at all. The characters have you laughing, smiling, saddened and transfixed. Vampire Travis is a master stroke, you genuinely have no idea what he will do next. I only wish his "minnion" had not been killed off as I was thoroughly enjoying the relationship with his master. Mr Hale well done again. I am sure a few reviewers will point to the obvious spelling errors, but for me they were far and few between and do not overly distract the splendid story. However it continues to amaze me that so many books are published without a simple spell check, let alone proof reading. Time to download book 3.
on 26 September 2012
I was looking forward to this book, and Hale didn't disappoint. It is still as unpredictable as the first, with an epic final battle and an added element of grey morality thrown in.

We start off a year after vampires have taken control of the world. The Day Soldiers are in hiding, werewolves own the wilderness, and humanity is being farmed for blood. It's a rather bleak outlook. At least on the surface. What is interesting in this book is the way Hale handles the vampiric occupation. It has been mentioned many times throughout the first book that vampires have been officially classified by the Day Soldiers as 'evil'. Yet it seems they treat their food source rather well. This causes a little friction between the 'victims' and Lily's Day Soldier 'liberators' half way through the book. I'm interested to see where Hale goes with this.

As for the characters, they're all just as good as last time, but I have to mention two new characters. The first is Carl. A soldier who has the potential to be another Jar Jar Binks; just that annoying character that seems to be in places he's neither wanted, nor needed. But Hale handles him pretty well. He ends up being a courageous fighter who only wants to fit in. I'm sure many people can relate.

The other character is, quite possibly my favourite new addition: Travis. To reveal anything about him, could count as a spoiler, so I'm not going to even try. Suffice it to say, he is completely insanely nuts and often cares too much about acting out 80's vampire movies. He acts for his own amusement and likes to see vampires suffer as much as humans, so at the end, you have no idea which side he's on.

One minor thing about the novel, though, is the cameo of a character supposed to be Dracula. He's never called by that name (instead referred to as Vlad), but there are enough clues as to his identity. I'm always wary of anything that includes him as it smacks of unoriginality. As far as I can recall, only Buffy the Vampire Slayer has pulled this stunt off. However, it isn't dwelled on and is only a short scene allowing a little exposition. It almost seems like gratuitous homage. But in a good way; it didn't detract from the story and the legendary character never overshadowed the rest of the plot.

Again, I have to mention the average writing style, but I still feel this is a good enough story to forgive it.

Definitely read it if you've read the first one. And if you haven't, read the first book, then read this.
on 14 October 2013
I am not even going to tell you about the book all I am going to say is you MUST read this and the other two books. If you miss this trilogy then your missing some of the best fiction writing I have ever read and I have read a lot. Wish there was more but sometimes three books is just enough. Go on buy this and enjoy because if you like vampires werewolf's and a engaging story of life then I promise you that you will enjoy this series
on 16 December 2013
like the daysoldiers, enthralling well written the characters very beleivable looking forward to starting the third in the. Trilogy, I shall certainly read more by Brandon hale
on 5 August 2013
Having read the first book in this series I was looking forward with baited breathe to continuing the story. The pace seems to have increased in this installment and added more interesting characters to the mix. Travis I found to be a deeply dark Hilarious character who always keeps you wanting more. This whole series brings a new twist to the vampire / werewolf ideal. It's like world war Z with V and W instead. A must read for young vamp / wolf fans.
on 3 July 2013
Bought day soldiers and became so engrossed in it I bought two and three as well. It was a great read and a clever offshoot of vampires and werewolves, I just wish there was a fourth because the opening is ther for it.
on 11 September 2015
I am enjoying this series so far; as unoriginal as it is, it is well written and quite the 'page turner'. I am looking forward to reading the rest of the books in the series. Recommended.
on 24 October 2014
Not my usual sort of thing. Downloaded as free and enjoyed all of the Day Soldiers stories I've read so far. Nice to see the good guys dying from time to time.
on 3 October 2013
This 2nd book had no loss of pace, excitement, thrills, heartstopping moments. A great and new take on the vampire,human& werewolf story. highly recommend.
on 21 August 2013
A good book that continues in the same vein as the first, and introduces the most interesting aspects of the characters.