Colour Name: Black|Change

on 9 December 2014
Very pleased with this head cam. I needed one that would catch number plates when I am out on the road with my horses, this does a good job and is clear enough to catch Moronic drivers who put lives in danger.
It's tough, it's easy to use and upload to computer. Would certainly recommend.
on 21 September 2014
Great little camera. Much more compact than the competition such as GoPro's and at a fraction of the price. Very lightweight too; I have it fixed to my motorcycle helmet and I don't even notice it's there. The picture is great, especially on the highest 1080p setting. It does fairly well at night except for in the lowest of light situations.

Bad points.

1. Make sure that you line up the mounting strip properly before sticking it on, because once it's on, it sure as hell isn't coming off again.

2. The sound capture isn't great. Anything above 10 mph is just wind noise for me. I've tried things like putting electrical tape over the mic but it doesn't really make a lot of difference. Locating the microphone on the front of the camera doesn't seem like a great design choice in my opinion.

3. My camera developed a fault after about a week and started recording entire videos without sound or picture. I've contacted Surfdome and they've been very good an offered a replacement without any fuss.

Overall a great little camera, especially at this price. I would recommend getting a larger SD card though as on the highest settings, you'll only get about an hour of video.
on 29 September 2015
I am a keen motorcyclist and bought this after two occasions when I've had to accept 50% liability for accidents that weren't my fault - purely because there were no independent witnesses. So what better than an impartial and unblinking eye to record every moment? There's an almost bewildering array of cameras on the market so I decided that I didn't want to review footage until after my 'trips', wanted something that was streamlined and wouldn't get in the way, would fix to my helmet, waterproof and easy to switch on and off. I got all that and at a very reasonable price. However, a word of caution... the computer software that goes with this camera is called Storyteller and it requires Apple's Quick Time 7 in order to function. Quick Time 7 WILL NOT WORK AT ALL if your PC/Laptop' operating system is Windows 8, 8.1 or in my case 10. I contacted Contour via e-mail and their customer support did try and help, but until Apple update Quick Time, they are banging their heads against a brick wall. So, I cannot set the camera's time/date up. The good news is that Windows Media Player, Microsoft Silverlight or Cyberlink Media WILL play your footage and you can upload so you can edit it.
All that said, I am delighted with this camera, the picture quality and the ease of its operation.
on 5 June 2013
Spent some days deciding between this and GoPro Hero 3 Black or Silver. After checking the amount of bad reviews that it got, I decided for Contour ROAM2. The software for Mac is really good. So I just reseted the SD card, plugged in Contour, pick my preferences for the cam, and that's it.... 10 minutes. Recorded a good 17 minutes on 720p and looks really good. Was a bit afraid of the quality, but everything looks good.

The device feels heavy. This is not a critic, it's actually a good thing because it doesn't feel that if it goes to the ground it will break. In terms of design is a bit more low profile than GoPro 3, which I like, but this is just subjective. This is the first video I made with it, it's boring, but at least you can have a feel:

Overall I would recommend this product.
on 23 November 2013
First things, when I bought this I knew Contour had gone out of business but afetr checking oiut the reviews I thought 'what the hell' and went for it. You can get hold of the Storyteller software on the web which allows you to change the camera settings - you can do this though by editing one of the text files on the camera as well.
I used the camera for the fist time a few days ago at 720p 25fps. By the way you have to set the settings prior to going out as you can't do it on the fly.
Anyhow, the quality is superb. I connected it to my bike using the Contour Bike mount - which is also excellent - on a cycle ride, colour is brill too. Sound from the mike is good, but as it's front facing you do get some road noise and shake noise from the mount as well; but I've turned the sound down so be interesting to hear how it's changed. Also, added 32Gb Class 10 card - you really need this as at 1024p it only records 8 minutes of footage per gigabyte. There's a 4gb card included but it's pointless really.
Not sure what it's like in dark conditions or where the light switches as I haven't tried it yet.
By the way, although it comes with adhesive camera fittings these will not work on a vented cycling helmet - they need a flat surface and so you'll have to buy the proper helmet band for it.
on 2 January 2014
Wanted a reliable, simple, waterproof "crash cam" for the bike and this fits the bill for a reasonable price. However, as the company has since gone out of business I have found it difficult to obtain accessories. I was lucky enough to get hold of the software before it disappeared from their web site but unfortunately there is no after purchase support whatsoever. So, if it goes wrong then it is fix it yourself or chuck it in the bin. So far I have been really pleased with the results both in video format and still photos. Different resolutions can be set to vary the amount of data used and clarity of playback. There is no on board menu and the changes have to be applied to the memory card by computer. So if you want to alternate between video and stills, then you need two cards. Battery life is around a couple of hours on lower resolution, though I have not managed to run one down yet. It makes a good camera for scenic subjects when out walking as you can take a panoramic view by just slowly turning your head. Normally fitted to the side of my crash helmet and this provides an over the shoulder view of my journey. In a secondary role, it's also noticeable enough for most motorist to see it and behave a little better around me. They don't have to know it's not turned on all the time...!
on 11 November 2015
Had this camera for a good while now and use it every time im out on my motorbike. I use the supplied helmet mount on the side of my helmet and it works a treat. The battery lasts for miles longer than id ever need and the quality of the picture is outstanding. It really feels like your out on your motorbike again when you reply the footage. The camera comes with a whole load of mounts so you can attach it to yourself, your pushbike, your mountain bike or whatever in a variety of ways. Its shape/design is much less obtrusive than (for example) a boxy square go-pro type camera, and a lot more subtle if you want it mounted on your helmet. The rotating lens is a good idea, as you can get the image perfectly setup. Its nice & wide angle.

The only downside I have, which is common to nearly all such cameras is wind noise. However you can buy attachments which help reduce this.

I use a 32gb SD Card and find it works a treat on the highest settings. If I remember correctly 1hr of footage is roughly 4gb in size. I simply plug the camera into my laptop & copy/paste it over to the laptop for viewing/editing.

Very pleased with it.
on 7 July 2015
Took a while looking around and reading reviews. Already had a dashcam in the car. It works as described and has survived heavy rain. It does need a regular charge as I am never certain just how much battery power is left. The only slightly annoying feature is that it does not overwrite files when the card is full and it is limited to 8gb. However, for the commuting run it cannot be beaten and quality is very good.
on 27 February 2015
I use this camera every day, to and from work.

It is not only there to help cover me for any potential incident, but also for other road users. It is also very handy for when I get into incidents where I think "Whoops, that was a bit stupid of me..." I can go back and see what I missed and learn from my mistakes.

It'sa good size too, a bit more discreet that the GoPro, and significantly cheaper. It does however suffer in low light/night time conditions. But most cameras in this price range will be the same.
on 24 November 2014
Used this for quite a while now. It took me a little while to get the white balance sorted out. When I first got it, I found that the bright sky made the roads and surrounding areas very dark. (I use it as a helmet cam on a bike). But once I had experimented with the settings, it was fine.

The picture is crisp and very clear. Sound is good as well. There are lots of examples on youtube if you need to check it out.

Its ideal for what I want it for and because it comes with two mounts, I've left a mount in the car as well so I can snap it off my helmet and put it in the car. Long car journeys are great on time lapse!

I'd throughly recommend it.