on 22 April 2017
We bought two of these interactive feeders for our golden retriever and english pointer puppy. We all absolutely love them. We feed their evening meal in these and they keep the dogs entertained for around 20 minutes. The puppy can't quite reach the centre yet so we spread it around the outside but it won't be long before he can which means we won't have to buy another one. They are quite big, robust and well made and stack inside each other as the underside of the nobbles are hollow. The only downside is, because of the shape, they are a bit of a pain to clean each night and we have quite slobbery dogs but have recently taken to washing them with soap and water every other night and hosing them on the nights in between. Even if your dogs don't bolt their food, I would still highly recommend these feeders for the fun element.
8 people found this helpful
on 7 June 2016
My overweight cat...sorry, clinically obese cat needed to lose weight, so my vet suggested we buy a 'Hedgehog' bowl for his biscuits. My wife was dubious, but I weighed out his biscuits and placed them in the new bowl. My cat just looked at me.....I had to show him how to get the biscuits out, then when he realised I wasn't going to just give in, he started to use it. He uses it all the time now and has lost weight! My controlled eating rather than stuffing his face in his bowl. We don't use it for any 'meat' as I can imagine it would get very messy. The bowl is placed on our kitchen tiled floor, so will move as the cat tries to get his biscuits out, but it doesn't go too far. I suspect it would move more on a laminate, but you could secure it with some sort of temporary tack (like Blu Tack), but I've never had to. It can be cleaned easily by hand or in the dishwasher.
7 people found this helpful
|22 Comments|Report abuse
on 10 March 2017
This has got to be one of the best purchases I've made for my 8 month old German Shepherd/Husky cross. I had a problem with him where he just seems to inhale his food. I make him a roast dinner on a Sunday and a large bowl takes less than a minute for him to eat. Then a little later he's usually sick (nothing to do with my cooking). I spoke to my vet about his fast eating and she suggested I buy one of these feeders from Amazon.

When this product arrived I was surprised at how big and robust this is. I tried him with a cup full of mixer to test it. A cup full of mixer would normally be finished in seconds. He was unsure about it at first, but after a couple of minutes he went back to it and I started the timer. It took him a full ten minutes to finish the mixer. What a fantastic invention! Not only does it slow his eating down, but it stimulates his mind as well. As soon as he finished he went straight to sleep.
6 people found this helpful
on 28 May 2015
I have a small terrier who breaths in food and then bullies my giant breeds away so he can eat theirs, he's an absolute terror at feeding times. I thought I'd give this a try to see if it really did slow him down, and it worked! What used to take him 10 seconds to eat now takes 10 minutes PLUS. He's still eating after all of my other dogs are long finished, I'm able to tidy everything away and he's STILL going! It's fantastic, he thinks of it as a game and gets very excited when he sees it. The mini size is perfect for a smaller dog, he has to use his nose and tongue to push the food to the edges of the feeder to get at it. Thinking through each piece and he goes, tail wagging the whole time.
The feeder is really easy to wash, either run it under a tap as you do with normal bowls, or put it in the dishwasher. It's non slip so whilst on the ground it's not being knocked around, and is heavy enough that it can't be flipped. Definitely worth the investment!
8 people found this helpful
on 7 March 2017
This is brilliant. My cat has lost a bit of weight and it slowed him down when eating significantly.

First took him 20 mins. Year on - 10 mins. But only a few seconds when eating from a bowl.

He loves the puzzle of trying to get his food.
7 people found this helpful
on 2 August 2017
I have a 5 month old Labrador who was eating her food in literally less than a minute. This has extended feeding time to at least 15 minutes. She wags her tail throughout, so it's obviously fun for her, as well as giving me time to vacuum or empty the dishwasher. A real game changer. She's given the taller spikes quite a chew, but she's a puppy who chews whatever she can. I always take it away as soon as she's finished eating, so she doesn't think it's just another chew toy. To get the bits of kibble, your dog needs to chase them out of the feeder on to the floor, so be prepared. I feed my dog outside whenever the weather permits to try to keep the kitchen floor slobber-free for at least a few extra minutes
on 14 September 2015
this truly is an awesome item.
when my dog was a puppy she gulped her food down so quick she used to choke so when I watched a dog behavioural programme they had this on it (it was the one where they had put cameras in people's houses to find out what the dogs got up to when the owners had gone,re separation anxiety,think it was on ch4,but anyway...) I knew I had to get one
I ordered the small but as my dog is so little (she's 7lbs fully grown) she can get around this a lot quicker than I would imagine a bigger dog would but it has still slowed her down considerably,it takes her a good 10 minutes,sometimes longer to eat her meal now.
this is also a game at meal times,it is supposed to replicate them hunting for food and my dog enjoys it so much that when this has been left at my parents and her dinner is on a plate/bowl,she won't touch her food!
another good thing about this is it is dishwasher safe which is so convenient and is so sturdy I would imagine even the strongest of chewers would struggle to get through it!
on 25 April 2016
It only took a few minutes of training with some Dreamies before my 11 year old cat got the hang of this. I'd tried her with the Trixie Interactive Board in the past (similar idea to this but bigger and with different shapes) and she was having none of it, so I didn't have high hopes. I was wrong. Now she's moved on to eating her usual biscuits from it.

My cat pretty much hates most wet food, loves dry food, and refuses to drink much water. You can imagine that's a recipe for disaster (indeed she's just got over a bout of cystitis). This feeder seems to be slowing down her biscuit eating, and increasing her wet food eating (I add extra water to her wet food). It's also giving her some mental stimulation, which is important in indoor cats, as she has to work out how to get at those precious biscuits.

I'd recommend being patient when introducing a cat to this. Try training with a few of their absolute favourite treats until they get the hang of it, then switch to using this for their regular dry food. Don't give in and put some dry in a separate bowl, but persevere. Give them some space though, don't hover and faff - let them investigate it in their own time.

This seems like it would be great for cats who over-eat, cats who need extra mental stimulation if they're kept indoors, cats who eat too quickly, and - although I'm still waiting to see if this behaviour continues - as a way to encourage a cat to eat more wet food because it's easier than going through the palaver of trying to extract biscuits.
2 people found this helpful
on 25 September 2017
I saw this on a TV programme and thought it would be ideal for my Labrador who eats his food in about 30 seconds. Initially it took my boy 9 minutes to clear the dish, however he soon figured out that if he moved around the feeder while feeding it is easier to get the kibble as he was not trying to remove the bits against the slope of the raised bits, he now takes about 3 minutes which is still an improvement on 30 seconds.
2 people found this helpful
on 1 May 2017
I bought this to challenge my cat a bit and to slow her down when she eats. It took my cat a few weeks to get used to having to work for her food and gave me a lot of evil stares when I used the feeder. She was unsure at first how to get to the food but did work it out and now uses it with ease! It takes her about 10 minutes to finish her portion and is great to watch her figure it out.