Customer reviews

on 12 November 2012
I received the book on Saturday and had read it by Sunday night and I loved it! As I have to say that this is an excellent read that confirms my own thoughts about Springsteen fans and the difference in behaviour between US and European concert goers. The writing is refreshingly simple and clear, making it an easy read. It doesn't look to investigate Springsteen and is certainly no biography but it seeks to explain why this musician and his band have such a fan base in Europe. He sings about the gulf between the american dream and reality,yet the energy and power means as much to us over here as it does to die hard fans in the US. The strange thing for me was that many of the writers views and opinions mirrored my own, I saw Bruce in Asbury Park earlier this year and when I went to Hyde Park and Paris, amongst other gigs this year. Perhaps that's why I enjoyed it so much, it's enthusiastic without being geeky. It is written by someone for whom Springsteen's music is an important part of their musical interest but not the sum of it. That balance is one of the books high points. Highly recommended.
on 4 January 2013
A great read that speaks volumes to all of us who realise the importance of that number on your hand.
The writing perfectly described the nerves that always build as doors opening get closer and the fears and frustrations when things go wrong.
At times, I actually found myself with 'butterflies' reading the accounts and thinking back to "no running" moments that I have been through at many gigs.
I also loved reading about getting the balance between seeing the sights, sleeping and roll calls especially when you read on line that 10 are already in line. A big problem!...

A downside for me of this 'book' is that I wanted many more stories from the pit line than gig reviews and set list discussions. Those aspects were far less interesting.
on 5 June 2014
Part of me wonders whether a non-Springsteen fan would enjoy Raise Your Hand. When the author mentions a specific song from The Boss’ oeuvre, being familiar with a fair share of his songs from the breadth of his career rather than just the hits is going to influence how well you “get” what is going on. When Rose says, “I never sing Born In The USA back home because I don’t want anyone to think I am one of those people who doesn’t understand what it’s really about, but it feels different doing it in Europe,” if Born In The USA is all you know and you’re “one of those people,” you won’t understand.

But my contrarian side argues that Raise Your Hand has the same qualities as all good travel memoirs. The author’s impressions of experiences in a place the reader might have never been. That the foreign experience is not only a different place, but also the world of music and that of a diehard Springsteen fan could as easily add to the reader’s experience.

And then you’ve got all the other qualities that make or break a travel memoir for me. Things like what the author learned about the world and themselves through the experience. Sharing vicariously in the experience, both magical moments and logistical difficulties. For me, Raise Your Hand is also an inspiration to keep working toward actually doing a few music-themed travel adventures I’ve considered for myself.

**Originally written for "Books and Pals" book blog. May have received a free review copy. **
on 30 November 2012
A nice look at Springsteen's 2012 shows from a fresh angle: not the press area but the first row of the pit. Caryn Rose is a devoted American fan in her first E Street Band European tour, and she takes her time to reflect the cultural differences, but at the end of the day, it seems that we all are pretty much the same. Which fits with the message of Bruce's songs.

If you have spent some time with "the cult" in the line of any Springsteen show, or if you are thinking about doing it in future tours (I mean 2013, come on guys, Bruce is not getting younger, what are you waiting for?), this book works as a perfect travelling/etiquette guide. Well done Caryn Rose.

Jorge Arenillas
on 25 September 2012
If your a fan of Bruce Springsteen you will know the effort that he and the E Street band go to every night and at every concert in giving you an exceptional and almost spiritual experience.

This book gives a frank and honest account of what it takes to follow a tour from city to city and from country to country.

If you have been to see Bruce and the band in Europe it will remind you of that special night.

A worthwhile read.
on 5 June 2013
Loved this book, as it made me relive my trips to Paris and London, especially as Wembley and Leeds are looming. Hoping to convert my brother-in-law this year.
on 3 October 2012
Raise Your Hand: Adventures of an American Springsteen Fan in Europe

For all of us that follow Bruce Springsteen on his tours in Europe this is an excellent
book on the sacrifices we all make. I don't believe there's another artist on the planet
who has fans as devoted as Bruce has, and this book sums up what we go through and why we keep
coming back for more.

Brilliant - Well done Caryn.
on 3 December 2013
Caryn has picked up on some great elements on being a European Bruce fan and her description of some of the same gigs I had been to filled me with emotion as I recalled the same moments. My only gripe is the reverence that always being a pit stalwart is seen to be the only way to see Springsteen, it's not but then maybe that's just envy on my part!
on 9 October 2013
Having attended over 20 BOSS concerts in Ireland, England USA Italy France over many years the experiences written about sound very famaliar and brought back many great memories. Really enjoyed the book, read it on a plane journey cover to cover so long enough to enjoy without labouring the experience with too much anorak detail
on 21 January 2015
This was a very easy and very enjoyable read, the account of the tour flowed nicely and gave enough detail to set the scene at each venue that I felt like I was actually there. Brilliant!!!