Customer reviews

Colour: Black|Change

on 5 February 2015
got two computers, the kvm switch is great
on 26 January 2013
I honestly thought that for £10 it probably wouldn't work and if it did then the video would be limited. I opened the package, plugged it in and it works! Brilliantly! The windows 7 machine I hot plugged monitor keyboard and the mouse, waited a minute for windows to find and install the drivers and away it went. Perfect. Monitor is 1920x1080 AOC. The XP machine was off so plugged it all in first then switched on. I had to wait a few minutes after booting up for the drivers to install but no problems. Don't know about reliability as that will take time but looks very good so far. Only one slight observation is that when the PC is in sleep mode or hibernating, the KVM is off and the keyboard will not trigger the PC to wake up but a touch of the start button instead is all that is needed. The two PC sockets are clearly marked on each side. The monitor plugs into the top of the KVM switch, the keyboard and mouse into two of the three USB sockets labelled USB console along the bottom.

I have just purchased my second KVM switch for work PC's and as above it worked first time no problems. If it fails within the next year I will edit this review. Still can't believe its possible to design, purchase the components, assemble, distribute and all for a few pounds. Someone is being ripped off. The work force maybe??

Its now July (7 months) and still no problem with either switch both of which are used several time a day. Sometimes there is a slight delay in mouse response on the XP machine depending on the hibernation/sleep state of the machine at the time of switching over but that's all. Fantastic value for money.
on 6 February 2014
OK I was swayed by the price and ignored the negative reviews. I should have known better. I bought this to replace an ageing PS2 KVM switch. I am a computer engineer with 30 years experience of networking and have used these thing for donkeys years. The design is absolutely flawed. Firstly the video pass through only works on very low resolutions, some of the time it doesn't even work then. It is a very common occurrence to switch away from a PC then when you switch back the video does not switch. The only way to recover is to connect the PC directly to the monitor, turn it off re-connect the switch and then power on again. Which defeats the object of having a switch in the first place. When a new PC is connected to the switch you HAVE to connect the monitor directly to that PC as the video switching(such as it is) only works after the USB drivers have been installed by the operating system. The cables are way too short for most installations and adding extensions to the cables stops the switch working completely. Finally this is the first switch I've used that does not support hot keys for switching which means that the top of the switch has to be easily reachable as that is the only way to cycle through the connected devices. All in all don't waste your £20!
on 5 March 2013
I bought this to avoid unplugging my vga cable from the pc, and plugging into another pc. When I did this the icons on my screen re-sorted themselves and changed to suit a smaller screen.
The idea of getting this was to prevent this. When I switch from my pc to another and then back, the icons are moved again.
I cannot get the pc to recognise a USB stick or any other USB device connected to it.

It does the basics and allows me use my screen with two pc's, but I need two mice and keyboards connected directly to the pc's.
It gives the following error "Windows has stopped this device because it has reported problems. (Code 43)" and I cannot find any driver for it.
on 7 January 2013
Really impressed with this product. I work from home much of the time and was getting tired of using the laptop keyboard and small display, or alternatively plugging/unplugging my monitor and keyboard from my desktop system. Now I have my laptop permanently plugged into the switch and I can use my larger monitor and full size keyboard + mouse for both systems. Should have got one of these years ago.
on 3 January 2013
This KVM switch does the job as well as any previously installed. I originally thought that it contained USB1 components, however, it works just fine since I upgraded my keyboard and it appears that any problem had to do with my old keyboard, so I can now thoroughly recommend it.
on 13 February 2013
This works well with PC number 2, which is running WinXP. However on PC number 1 which runs Win7, it causes some issues. If I try to use it as 2 PC's to 1 monitor only, the display is a bit odd - kind of dull (unless I plug the usb lead in, PC number 2 is fine without the usb connection)! If I plug in the usb connection, and connect a usb keyboard to the KVM Switch Box, I get problems on my Number 1 PC's usb ports - they 'do not recognise' devices plugged in. The Number 2 PC does not have any real problem, but every time I switch back to it it has to 'reinstall' the Switch Box, which is a minor irritant. I hope this is helpful.
on 16 April 2013
very poor, started off fine and worked with both windows and linux machines, but within a couple of hours odd things where happening, and after just 7 hours it died.

never received a reply from my email about a replacement either, don't bother.
on 13 December 2013
I brought this KVM to connect a mixed bag of Macs and Linux boxes (based on PC machines) to one monitor.
It does this, but will not under any circumstances show the full range of resolutions that the machines are capable of producing with the monitor. Instead you get the same basic three 4:3 formats, whether you're using Linux builds or Mac OS.
So, it kind of works.
The more expensive Belkin (2x) KVM I moved to use in my office is staring to look so much better.
on 28 May 2013
Some things to consider:

- I found the switch did not support Windows putting a monitor into stand-by.
- Depending on configuration, it was possible to miss the BIOS menu at start-up
- The switch, that was received, seemed to require the computer at port one be powered when working with the computer at port 2.
- The box may be neat but the necessary cabling to it is hardly the neatest of affairs.
- One cable was appeared faulty on both the VGA and USB side
- Upon examination of the inside of the switch box, the quality of the soldering appeared poor. One point was hardly, and certainly not adequately, soldered.

Quality control leaves much to be desired. This unit will be discarded.