Format: Kindle Edition|Change
Price:£4.49

Dead People is an intelligent novel with a host of characters and plot lines. It opens in Wales with Segeant Glyn Capaldi diverting from his current investigation, the castration of ram lambs, to look at a skeleton unearthed by a digger. Capaldi is an unwilling transplant from Cardiff to Dinas, or the boondocks as he prefers to call it, and seems to be in constant conflict with both Headquarters and the local police, from which much of the humour, mostly schadenfreude, arises. As the novel is written in the first person we get a lot of insight into his character - he is very likeable but is a fully paid up member of the awkward squad. The plot is clever and convoluted so you need to be on your toes and concentrating to keep up. I enjoyed wondering what would come next and seeing how it all fitted together. I think this is a good read and am looking forward to the next one.
on 28 September 2013
When I'd finished this book I was disappointed. Why? Because I wanted to read it all over again but would know the ending! Couldn't put it down. Ewart Hutton a force to be reckoned with in the future. Hutton captures the insular word of Mid Wales perfectly and I know from experience that this is exactly how folks behave in the "boondocks," as Capaldi refers to the area. I look forward to lots more from this author. Thank you, Mr H!
on 25 December 2014
I was very impressed with the author's GOOD PEOPLE and this novel delivers the same high standards.

The writing is very colourful and we have a wonderfully structured plot which keeps the reader guessing. The step-by-step developments here are fantastic. Throw in a protagonist you can't help but like, partly because of the constant grief he is given by his superiors, and you have the perfect ingredients for a crime novel.

The challenge for some will be to keep up with all the characters - I admit to suffering here. Then again, if you are creating a complex mystery, I guess you need a lot of players in the mix.

I am, however, pressing the button for my third Hutton novel without hesitation.
on 23 March 2013
Very atmospheric setting; strongly developed and believable characters and a twisting plot line, I am looking forward to Glyn Capaldi's next adventure. This second story was rather slow in places but the ending was worth the wait. The strength of Hutton's writing is in his characters. Not sure whether he has created a Welsh Rebus yet but the parallels of the anti-hero are definitely there.
on 13 September 2013
I enjoyed it for part of the way but then it got too complicated for comfort! Some wonderful prose though.
on 29 September 2015
Great thriller, exciting, on-the-edge-of-your-seat stuff. I will definitely read more.
on 4 September 2014
I have enjoyed meeting this character. He is quite different from the usual detective
on 18 November 2015
Item arrived promptly, packaging good, service good - very pleased all aspects.
on 16 June 2015
Brilliant! Left me eager to read the next one.
on 19 July 2014
Love his books - hope for more