on 5 April 2015
Probably the best reference for his work but a little indulgent in how it's written. Losing chunks of repetition would help.
on 28 September 2017
Absolutely loved this book, so much that I will be attending the Somatic Experiencing training. It is a real eye opener to how compassion, empathy and sensitive listening can allow us to tune into the pain of others and bring about change and wellness. A true revelation and a must read.
on 1 December 2017
So pleased to have finally read this book. It holds a wealth of insight and interesting new findings.
on 3 December 2017
Excellent and helpful book that was both extremely readable and informative.
on 21 February 2017
I think the information contained in this book is very valuable in explaining the effect of stress on the body and how to purge it, even if it happened a long time ago. My only reservation is that it takes a long time to get to the places which tell you how to deal with it. I understand that this is a book about the author's life's work, but maybe I should have chosed a different book to learn how to apply his knowledge.
on 5 April 2015
Very well written and it has helped me tremendously in learning to release unresolved trauma. Having tried many other techniques, this one actually works and enables you to release previously "locked" feelings and emotions, physically from your body. A must read and highly recommended.
on 30 June 2016
This is a detailed text for therapists who want to know the underpinning bodily and psychotherapeutic mechanisms to working with trauma in a Somatic Experiencing way. There's stuff here that I didn't know, and was fascinated by, despite having 20 years of clinical experience.
on 7 June 2017
I found this to be an excellent book in offering a 'new' perspective on trauma and how it impacts on the whole body self. Levine's exploration of trauma is grounded in long experience of dealing with people who have been traumatised. While technical in places the book is written in a very accessible manner for the non-professional. Well worth a read if you want insight into how to deal with trauma somatically rather than rationally.
on 26 October 2013
Quite simply the best book I have ever read in this area. A truly wholehearted and thorough tome not just in trauma itself but for understanding the body, the mind and why we are the way we are. It makes absolute perfect sense and will really encourage you. I read it from a 'study' point of view and it has benefitted me in a way I never thought possible to open up new areas of research and interest. Equally if you are looking to read it because trauma and anxiety have deeply affected you or those close, it explains everything totally clearly in a very instructive and educated yet perfectly comprehensible voice. The reason I study this area is because I have been greatly affected and therefore totally resonate on the personal level too. If you have been looking for 'answers' and 'cures' this will move you forwards. You will feel like a different person and see the picture you have been trying to uncover for so long. Don't rush the reading, take it all in. It has the power to transform your life. Outstanding!
0Comment| 56 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 21 March 2017