Customer reviews

on 2 January 2013
I really love this show and its music. When I knew I could get the CD, I didn't think twice and got it. Lovely and peaceful music for moment of relax.
on 30 September 2012
I am a big fan of the Downton Abbey series, not only for the drama but also for the music. The composer uses a great variety of instruments that help the story progress such as in Series 2 in the trenches, he used a deep sounding instrument, a mixture of drums and I think violin, not too sure.

However, as I own the previous Downton soundtrack, there are not many tracks that are new other than a few from series 2. Most of them are from series 1 which I already have. Although this is the "collection" which I understand and it is a great CD to listen to, to get a feel of Downton.

The songs from Scala and Kolacny Brothers work a treat, I wasn't expecting trailer music on a soundtrack but if it was not for the TV series then I would have never heard of the choir/group before, and now I love them, I have bought many of their CD's since Downton started. The song from Rebecca Ferguson is truly moving, however I am not a big fan of that song yet but the lyrics are superb and fit well for the story between Mary and Matthew.

My only problem was the CD case. I got it out and it fell apart into 2 without much strain. It still opens and closes now of course as I managed to fix it.

Would have been 5 stars but as there were only a few tracks added from the previous CD and the case fell apart, it is going to be a 4.

If you love Downton Abbey, buy this.
22 Comments| 23 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 10 November 2012
I love the Downton Abbey TV series,have all three series plus the Christmas Special now on Blu ray.This cd compliments the series beautifully. Superb. Would certainly recommend
on 11 February 2013
If you have seen my review of the first CD of Downton Abbey Soundtrack music, you will know that I lamented that some of the most moving music from series 2 was excluded from the disc in favour of interpolated songs that bore not a great deal of relevance to the homogeneity of John Lunn's excellent score. Here, then, on this 'essential' music CD we DO get seven missing pieces by Lunn, surrounded by some of the best of the pieces already found on the first disc, but with, alas, three more interpolated songs - excluding Mary-Jess - that again, for me, sadly spoil the flow of music by Lunn (Rebecca Ferguson I gather from the Wikipedia is an X-Factor runner-up, but who cares? Scala & Kolacny Brothers are a recently formed group who win competitions, but again, who cares?, and why here, except to bolster sales to their fans?). Well, you can't have everything I guess, but at least all the music worth having, all by Lunn, is now available. If it were not for marketing people and accountants I'd give the disc 5 stars just for the seven extra items, but John Lunn gets an emotive 5 stars for the track called 'The Fallen' which is a miniature classic of the most heart-searching and thought-provoking soundtrack music. Bravo John!
on 21 April 2013
I am impressed with the quality of this TV soundtrack. I really enjoy listening to the theme music when Downton Abbey starts, and equally enjoy the musical accompaniments throughout each episode. To my surprise, there is a version of the theme music with lyrics. Also, Rebecca Ferguson sings beautifully in a track titled, 'I'll Count The Days'. There's even a familiar pop song that is sung with a choir which adds some variety in the album. Highly recommended for people who are fans of the music in Downton Abbey, and who enjoy orchestral scores.
on 6 March 2013
Love the original music and all from the series but did not expect singing later on. Did not like these at all. What has He's not Heavy got to do with Downton?
on 5 December 2012
I love the TV series and this is a great compilation of the music that appears throughout the shows. I've listened to the CD loads since receiving it and have not tired of it at all as the music is so beautifully played. The few tracks that have singing on make a nice break to all the instrumental tracks.
Only disappointment is aimed at Amazon - I buy nearly all of my CDs from Amazon but quite a few of the CDs arrive with their cases scratched or broken due to poor handling/packaging.
on 14 March 2015
This is the best classical album I have ever bought. I love every track apart from the vocal by Rebecca Ferguson as I don't think it does her justice (sorry Rebecca). I have it on often when driving to work and it's so relaxing. The strange thing is that I have never watched a single episode of Downton Abbey and I only heard it on Classic FM and it became a Must have !
on 20 November 2014
Fabulous - I love it and good value. The Bonus was . . as soon as I had ordered it and looking forward to it being delivered, it was sent straight through to my music library. So I could already play it and put it onto a holiday DVD that I was wanting it for in the first place. Really pleased.
on 7 January 2013
Very good music from the show, except Police Every Breath I take, is that a well knion 1920's song, by that well known 20's crooner Sting, er don't remember that in the show, but apart from that was good, a lot of the songs on the first album but saves taking both cd's out