Customer reviews

Silver Age
Format: MP3 Download|Change
Price:£5.99

on 30 January 2013
I first discovered Bob Mould via a Sugar track (The Act We Act) on a free Q magazine compilation CD in the early 90s. Loved it, bought Copper Blue and played it to death. Beaster hit me like a ton of bricks and the hair on my neck still stands up when I listen to it - loud, of course! I even saw Sugar at Brixton Academy when they did the whole of Beaster, in order, as an encore. Jaw-droppingly good, still the best gig I ever experienced.

Loved F.U.E.L although it didn't have the staying power of Copper Blue. Investigated Husker Du and pre-Sugar solo stuff; a mixed bag for me. Bob's solo career since Sugar? Again for me a bit hit'n'miss, but which band/artist has consistently brilliant material in a 30+ year career?

So to Silver Age. In my view, Bob's BEST! Tipping even Copper Blue, which is saying something. Ten slabs of powerful melodic guitar/bass/drums & vocals. Nobody betters this simplicity of approach. I don't agree that it's just Bob doing what he does, going through the motions (see the 3* review around here). There are similarities clearly, but there are differences, some subtle, some not. It's a reinvention that has been coming since Bob returned to guitar-based rock after his brave but unsatisfying electronic phase.

There is not one single track on the album that you could call filler. Not one. It's the vitality of the album that makes it stand out even above Bob's previous highs. Maybe his demons have been fully exorcized after writing his autobiog? (an interesting but uncomfortable read). Maybe it's since he turned 50? (perhaps like my recent traverse through the half-century point, it gives you a different perspective on life). Maybe he's
finally comfortable with his sexuality?

Whatever it is, the album is so utterly LIFE AFFIRMING! I've had it on my car stereo for 2 months now, as loud as my speakers can take. It wakes me up as I drive into work, it prepares me for the misery of the working day ahead and it gives me a sugar rush (pun intended, sorry!) as I drive home. God knows what others make of this middle-aged, balding & besuited man bouncing up down in his driver's seat as I pass them by, particularly as each song kicks in, and always, always track 9, aptly named 'Keep Believing'!

I don't know what all the tracks are called, I can't hear all the lyrics, but that doesn't matter at all. It is the best album of last year by far. Best album I've heard for years. Dave Grohl acknowledges the debt he owes to Bob Mould. Today's up and coming bands should listen to Silver Age - it'd blow them away!

Magnificent, magnificent, magnificent!
on 22 May 2016
So much music to listen to and so little time these days but I'm glad I made the time to get into this absolute corker.
Bob will be 56 in October 2016 but , as his recent Uk tour showed, his music has lost little of the intensity that it had when he started out nearly 40 years ago.
And he's still writing great, memorable hooks. One of his very best.
on 17 November 2012
I have been a massive Husker Du/Sugar/Bob Mould fan for years, although even I would admit that Mould's post-Sugar output has been patchy at best. That said, Silver Age is cracking. I feared for the worst after the last album (Life and Times), which is to be avoided in all honesty, but this is very much a return to form. Definitely prefer it to District Line, which is a quality album in its own right.

This feels like where Sugar would have gone if he had stayed with it. I had read that he was looking to rock out a bit on his next album, and this doesn't disappoint. Bob's voice has a bit of its old growl back and there is some restrained guitar feedback. The first five songs segue wonderfully well into each other, everytime I listen to this the volume knob keeps going up. Best of all there are none of the navel-staring dirges which his Bobness is sometimes prone to.

This is Bob Mould doing what he does best. I keep hoping he will have one more go at a Husker Du album (Zen Arcade II mmmmmmm), but I guess we are all getting old. Bob is looking decidely ancient these days. There is a bit of filler towards the end, but no song outstays its welcome. I would call it AOR, but it is too good for that, not least because there is a little drop of Husker spite in the mix. Sincerely hope that Bob stays in this mould (see what I done!) for at least another album. I am still kicking myself because I missed his last UK dates. Green Day and Muse won't be this good in 25 years time. Thoroughly recommended.
on 23 June 2013
Bob Mould's musical output has been varied (to say the least!) over the last decade or so. Many fans took objection to his foray into electronica, and the arrival as Life and Times was a welcome return to form for them. His work on the Blowoff album had a mixed reception, although it was definitely an album of great songwriting, which showed that there was a great energy source still to be tapped.
This most recent album has a direct line to that energy source. A lot of Bob's more recent solo (guitar based) albums felt tired, going through the motions, with his voice sounding little more than a monotone drone; so to me, it seems as if the hiatus from his guitar has done him the world of good. Silver Age is guitar god Bob Mould back on form. The musicianship has never been in question; but now the spirit is back, and he uses his voice in ways that he hasn't since the days of Sugar. This isn't Copper Blue, and it certainly isn't Candy Apple Grey, but it is the first of his solo albums that I've really _wanted_ to listen to since Sugar.
on 2 August 2013
Just the greatest man in music. Ever. This is an astonishing record, every bit as good as Copper Blue and certainly better than either Candy Apple Grey or Warehouse. How he keeps cranking out such consisisent quality is anyone's guess, but it it doesn't matter just as long as he does. I saw him live in Leeds a couple of months back and it was storming; first 5 tracks played were just side one of Copper Blue. A few tracks from this as well, but the totallyy unexpected highlight was an amazing rendition of 'Chartered Trips' off Zen Arcade; certainly not a song I ever thought I'd ever hear performed live.

I've got Grant Hart's new LP on order, and it should arrive any day. You've a lot to live up here Grant, but I'm sure you're up to the task!
on 2 June 2013
This just proves that age is no boundary to creating fantastic music. I have a lots of Bob's previous CDs in various guises and I think this is actually one of the best. All of the tracks here are superb, no fillers in sight. With each listen, the tracks grow and it really is a well put together album with great production.
If you have ever liked Husker Du or Sugar you will not be disappointed. If youve never heard of Bob Mould, where have you been? Any fans of Foo Fighers or equivalents wont be disappointed with this.
Just remember to play nice and loud. Bob Mould, I salute you!
on 10 October 2012
A fabulous return to form by the original troubadour of rock. This is Bob Mould's finest and most consistent body of work since Copper Blue. Textured, layered guitar based tunes that grab your ears. The other 5 star reviews say it all, so I won't repeat. This album needs to be played LOUDLY ! (That is all)
on 31 December 2012
Bob Mould on devastating, full throttle form in my view. First new album by Mr Mould that I have bought in years. A great mix of searing guitar work, thumping drums and tuneful melody. If this is Bob's Silver Age I wonder what his Golden Age might bring? Keep on keeping on Bob, one of my fave all time musical heroes.
on 24 November 2012
The excellent reviews convinced me to buy this and it really is a terrific album which should be played on maximum volume.
Tracks sound as though as they were recorded live.
Buy as soon as possible
on 14 February 2017
I've been listening to Bob since the early Husker Du days, this is possibly his best solo album.
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse