on 22 December 2012
I must say I was sceptical when I picked this up (press ganged by a friend to reading it you could say). I am not religious per se, I go to chapel / church for weddings and funerals and under duress to christening of which there are an increasing number these days as friends jostle to get their kids into schools ranked towards the top of the league tables but I digress.

When I was first introduced to the book I saw it described as an Everyman guide to atheism and figured it would be a badly written pseudo intellectual cliche ridden rant, How wrong I was!!!!!

This is excellently written and thought provoking, I didn't feel like I was being lectured or preached at just an open discussion on many points that I have taken for granted through subconscious indoctrination that as a adult I have never really sat and thought about.

Am I now an atheist? Maybe, maybe not. Am I religious? Not in the least. Will I still attend funerals, christenings and weddings? Of course do I feel that I have benefitted from taking a couple of days out from my usual reading to challenge my religious doctrine? Absolutely would I recommend this book? Absolutely
on 18 December 2012
a great first book by Griffiths. this is an impeccably reaseached well structured and most of all entertaining read. A great book for the first time reader on the biggest question of all. I was an agnostic before I read this book but Im afraid to say that that Griffths arguments are irressistible! Griffiths forthright down to earth style keeps you interested all the way through. he sounds like the type of guy you could sit down in your local boozer and debate with without bamboozling you with complex semantics and boring you to death! an intelligent and witty read I recommend it.
on 30 November 2013
He admits early on that he isn't as amazingly smart as Harris, Dawkins or Hitchins, but that's the whole point. Dawkins rips religion to shreds with intellectual fire power, Hitchins goes on a gore-fest of all the many ways region is the worst thing ever invented, where as 'Slaying the Dragon' is actually quite mild, 'religion is a bit daft and isn't really true' approach.
This is obviously much milder and lighter than other more famous and more expensive books on the subject, but not as good.
on 1 August 2012
A detailed and fine tuned account of what appears to be a growing perspective on creation and religion. A really good first book by Griffiths.
on 3 May 2016
A comprehensive look at religion which pulls no punches in declaring a dislike of it. Written in an easy, no-nonsense style. A good read for anyone interested in religion from the point of view of an atheist... but I recommend reading it if you're an avid believer too. It may well open your eyes to some concepts you've not considered before.
on 4 March 2013
A brilliantly written look at the absurdity of religion, showing an incredible breadth of research and knowledge from the author. The quotations used to make his points are both amusing and poignant, and it's altogether a very engaging and approachable book. Would definitely recommend it!
on 18 March 2014
I had plenty of empathy with the author, having been brought up in exactly the same God-fearing, beautiful hymn-singing Welsh valley tradition, and had made the same journey away from that theocratic stronghold on life, so I looked forward to Mr Griffiths's account of his journey and his arguments. I was not disappointed; Mr Griffiths has an excellent command of language and uses it to great flowing effect, leading us all the way from his early strong believer to the atheistic position. The book is an excellent read for those who like following a thoroughly logical exposition. My only caveat was the feeling that all the ground had been previously covered by most of the authors to whom Mr Griffiths rightly gives credit for his own liberation: Dawkins, Stenger, Hitchens and others, and I felt that there was not enough that was new and original in his approach. That said, if anyone has not read those earlier authors, or wants to reinforce their output, "Slaying the Dragon" is a superlative read.
on 30 December 2013
I read this book over christmas whilst sat next to my pastor parents, which certainly brought out the odd debate. Griffiths provides an excellent summary of current athestic literature alongside some original ideas, all backed up with scripture of course. I was especially excited to learn he lives in my home town of Penarth.

His writting style makes for an easy read with some banter thrown in to get you through the factually heavy segments. I'd certainly place this book up there with works by Hitchens, Dawkins and Harris etc.

I challanged my pastor parents to read this book if they are so sure of their faith. This was not asked with bad taste or jest but they seemed adamant the book would not present anything theologically enlightening. This seems unfair especially as I was brought up reading their biblical texts, and to me reveals their iniate fear of unquestionable evidence... - no mum and dad there is no conspiracy within the world of science to suppress evidence for a God.
33 Comments| 2 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 14 December 2012
First time author R W Griffiths lets rip in a highly entertaining, thought-provoking polemic. Thoroughly well researched, this book addresses the big questions without befuddling the reader with excessive historical and scientific detail. Shooting from the hip, "Slaying the Dragon" is a plea for reason, evidence and logic in the 21st Century. The author's personalisation of the subject matter makes this book an accessible must read for those seeking a profound, informed and at times tongue firmly in cheek debate on religious matters. An excellent read and highly recommended.
on 8 May 2013
The author deals with a complicated subject with style and panache. As such, it is accesible to everyone whether you are a believer or not. The chapters are both interesting and informative and in truth if you approach the book with an open mind, it is difficult to refute his arguments. I found the novel extremely well researched and a cracking read.