on 3 January 2017
I wish I'd come across this book before I started my writing journey - I would have saved myself a lot of sweat and tears, and used less foul language!
Thoroughly recommended

Tombrysonwriter
on 12 November 2012
A very worthwhile read, and great value for money. If you're looking for an informative and up to date 'how to' this is one book that contains pretty much all you need to know. Highly recommended.
22 Comments|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 5 October 2012
I saw this masterclass advertised, and thought yeah, that's one for me...if only..and all the excuses came out for me not to attend. So I was chuffed to stumble across this Guardian Short detailing the most important stuff, I gather.

I love my Kindle now, but admit to being confused by most things cyber. There's so much technology out there. How much do I need? Whilst this ebook doesn't answer all my questions, it does enhance my knowledge on electronic publishing.

I won't attempt to summarise what I learnt, but at £1.99, I think I can heartily recommend this ebook as a cost-effective and useful reference for the author who's tired of the publishing merry-go-round, has edited the manuscript to within a millimetre of perfection, and just wants to damn well publish it.

With roughly 600 UK towns no longer having a bookshop, the internet and ebooks will be around for many years to come.
on 8 November 2012
A thoroughly readable and succinct description of the ways to publish your writing and a very intelligent appraisal of the new markets and their opportunities.
For serious writers I would say this borders on one of the 'must have' books on your shelves.
It is also very illuminating as an analysis of the publishing market and the changes that are afoot.
The emphasis on having an editor as an essential is another piece of advice that cannot be stressed too greatly.
This is not a long book but packed with sound advice and as a result a good reference book
on 5 November 2012
Useful summary of lots of info that is otherwise difficult to find quickly. Succinct and up to date.

[And that's as much as I need to say, so I find the (surely new?) requirement to write more to be a discouragement from bothering to write a review at all! I appreciate, Amazon, that you may be trying to discourage 'junk' reviews and sock-puppeting, but this is not the way to do it.]
on 8 February 2013
This book pointed out all the areas I'd have to spend my own, non-existent money on. So basically if I tried to self-publish without doing this I'd have an inferior product that wouldn't sell. As I don't want to con people with an inferior story, I'll go back to trying the old, hard way.

Under the guise of trying to help self-publishers, the book seems to be trying to discourage the practice.
on 16 May 2013
This book is certainly a good start to learn about self-publishing and seems like a bargain at £1.99 compared to the Guardian course, but I am sure there may be a few top tips that are reserved for the face-to-face course. Great starting point and good value for money at this price level.
on 8 December 2012
Unsurprising (not necessarily incorrect) treatise on the importance of editing. Made a laughing stock by the low quality editing of this book though; the most wondrous example being 'where you right' instead of 'where you write'. How anyone who works for the Grauniad has the gall to write on editing is beyond me.
on 10 November 2012
This "How to...." guide is at last, what it says it is on the cover. Not quite as basic as can be for idiots on the technical side like me but close enough for my liking. As a result, my poetry of almost 50+ years is shortly to be published under the nom-de-plume "Goatsrant"
on 28 April 2014
A clear, easy to read beginners guide to self publishing both physical and ebook versions of your work. In some places however, the information has been generalized to the point of being vague. It can come across as if written by some one who has heard about self publishing second hand rather than having had direct experience of the subject. Some more specific examples, using real self published works, would help to resolve this issue and give the book some grounding. The information is intended as a starting point so after reading this you may want to look into a more in depth format or genre specific guide.