Customer reviews

Price:£219.00+ £11.50 shipping

on 11 April 2017
nice lens - good quality
on 22 May 2017
Perfect for the beginners like me
on 23 August 2016
This lens has transformed my Sony NEX6 into a really portable and flexible camera. The lens is surprising small when powered off meaning that one can carry the NEX6 in a reasonably sized jacket or coat pocket when out walking. This zoom adds that useful bit of flexibility to get in a bit closer whilst also providing a decent wide angle capability. There will inevitably be a compromise between portability and image quality in a lens of this type and it has to be said that this lens is not pin sharp. However, it provides good very quality images that are sharp enough, a decent bokeh and pleasing colour rendition. I am really delighted with the portability and the results I have achieved with it. Highly recommended for enabling you to take your NEX out more often with you instead of relying on your smartphone :)
on 3 May 2015
PROs
+ Extremely light reducing strain on your neck and shoulder when carrying it for hours
+ Very compact when turned off
+ Smooth electric power zoom (perfect with Sony NEX-3N which has a second zoom dial at the shutter button)
+ 3 zoom speeds (slow, medium, fast)
+ Almost silent (even at zooming quickly)
+ Fast, accurate and positive autofocus
+ Surprisingly good sharpness for a such a budget lens
+ Metal mount will last longer
+ 16-50mm (24-75mm equivalant on 35mm full frame, Sony 1.5x crop) covers most of my needs
+ 16mm wide angle great for indoor, group photos, the occasional selfies and even interesting macro shots
+ absolutely fine image quality, sharpness and contrast
+ Better bokeh than Samsung equivalent for NX cameras and noticeably better bokeh than Micro Four Thirds
+ Optical Steady Shot (OSS) is effective especially in low light situations and results in noticeably steadier shots
+ Much, much cheaper than Sony 16-70mm f4 OSS which I found was not all that great especially not for the absurd price tag of 700 GBP

CONs
- Does not zoom as quickly as manual (but the speed is more than enough for me)
- No lens hood (but I do not see the need for it)
- 40.5mm lens filters are difficult to find (I use polarising filters with integrated UV film to protect the sensor)
- minimal light green-ish cast on images with grey/white background (can be easily fixed in post-processing)

VERDICT: An impressive little kit zoom lens that beats the Samsung rival and shows Canon, Nikon and Pentax how to make decent and affordable zoom lenses. I am quite happy.
on 20 February 2013
Only been using this two days now, but very impressed. Images seem very good, though I've only printed out 2 x A4 so far (and I'm not a pixel peeper). The lens works with the hybrid auto focus without the need to download firmware and it integrates very well with camera functions - for example, if you have 'clear view' zoom enabled, the lens will automatically zoom beyond 50mm using the clear view. There is a graphic display bar to show zooming in 'real time' - when 'clear view' is disabled in the menu, the bar shows 16 - 50. When 'clear view' is enabled, it shows the extension available.
But the main thing for me (I travel a great deal) is the size of the lens. It is very compact and light and makes the nex really pocketable, at last. It is not much bigger than the 16mm prime and significantly smaller than the 18-55 which my camera came with. Really feels good on the camera, if you know what I mean. The nex body is so compact, but the lenses so far have not matched that compactness - this one really does feel as if it was made for the camera! I know it can't happen for all lenses, but it is the right approach - also adopted by Tamron - I also own the tamron 18-200, whose design takes into account the size of the body far better than sony's own 18-200 monster.
Not everyone will like the motorised zoom, but to me it is very smooth and accurate.
Will update if any problems manifest themselves, but can't think what they might be. Incidentally, I bought mine from 'The Camera Centre', through Amazon. I think they must be selling kit lenses detached from the body as this arrived wrapped in bubble wrap, no box or anything - very quick service and reasonable price, but at the moment it doesn't seem that the lens is available on it's own.
on 31 July 2013
The NEX series of cameras have always been nice and compact bodywise but the standard 18-55mm lens was so big it made a nonsense out of that compactness. Now Sony have come up with a retractable power zoom that goes a bit wider (24mm equivalent on 35mm) but a bit shorter at the telephoto (75mm equivalent on 35mm). It's compact and what the NEX has been waiting for. If you've got one of the older NEX cameras you'll need to get the latest firmware update (V1:02 in the case of the NEX 7) or you'll see the distortion of a fisheye lens in your viewfinder - this all disappears when you get the update. It's nice and sharp with a 40.5mm filter thread. It could do with a bayonet fitting on the barrel for a petal lens hood though.
on 17 March 2013
I also saved £100 on this buying a new split from kit example. So for just over £200.00 the lens is very good value. Latest firmware updates for NEX-7 and 5n handle wide angle distortion in preview and jpegs. The latest version of Lightroom corrects distortion in RAW files. I'm pleased to say that this lens delivers sharp images, is compact and a nice match to the body size of NEX cameras, at last a zoom lens that makes sense of the NEX form factor. An ideal walk around lens.
on 6 September 2013
Very nice compact sharp and colorful little lens - enables you to put a hard case on the camera - something you certainly cant do with the 18-55 kitlens! You can also crop down long distance shots without too much loss of detail.

Great town lens you could probably put the whole thing in your jacket pocket!

Good lens for taking photos of the grandchildren/ pets etc.

Mines on my NEX 5R

Worth the money esp at the latest markdowns!

P Edwards
on 5 June 2014
Had this lens some time back with my NEX 5R, it is a very cost effective way of getting small and flexible in one go. Not knowing any better I felt that it was awesome to have an SLR standard camera with the portability of a compact, and that still stands in many respects. However, if image quality is important to you, and you do take photography reasonably seriously, then this lens probably isn't for you.

I've recently become more involved in photography, and upped my game with my first prime lens ever, the 35mm F1.8 by Sony (highly recommend btw). Now it's a little unfair to compare a prime to a zoom, but the quality of my photos went significantly up. It was the first time I realised what a difference a good lens could make. I went to NYC earlier this month, fantastic place, and the prime wasn't wide enough so reverted to the 16-50. Disappointed was the word. I'd gotten used to the sharpness and contrast the prime gave me and my New York photos were soft and undefined, I forgotten how much of a difference there was between the two. Lightroom improved the photos, but it will always bug me when I see them.

I just took the plunge and bought the highly expensive 16-70 Sony Carl Ziess to replace the 16-50 as a result of the NYC experience, and when you compare the two it is like a Aston Martin Vs a Dacia. The Ziess is a lot bigger of course but it's photos are far superior to the 16-50, as you would hope for the price. I can relax knowing I'm making the best use of my cameras sensor and I doubt I will ever use the 16-50 again, the compromise isn't worth it, for me at least.

So, if having the smallest most portable CSC is very important, or you’re on a tight budget, then this is as good as it gets currently, but do not expect to be getting close to the best from your camera.
VINE VOICEon 28 November 2013
This is the lens I keep on the camera for day to day use with my NEX-5R, it's very versatile, very little edge distortion, quiet and compact. It's also very reasonably priced.

A fine way to turn your NEX E-Mount camera into a true point and shoot replacement.

Make sure you update both the lens firmware and camera to get the full feature set (like Fast Hybrid AF )