on 29 October 2013
I already have a well specified Canon Pixma printer that I use for photography and this produces good quality prints. Sometimes though, it is all a bit of a performance to set it up and wait for the seemingly endless whirring and clunking whilst the ink is loaded ready to print. My skills as an editor sometimes fail me too, and what I print is not always what I wanted to print.
My new printer had to offer quick and fuss free printing of photos from my camera or phone.
The Canon Selphy looked to be a good bet, and it is a joy to use. Install the ribbon cassette and put the paper in the paper tray and off you go.
The printer uses dye sublimation and to produce a photo, the paper is passed through the printer four times. Each pass adds another layer of dye, or the final protective layer to keep it clean and mark free for a long lifetime.
The print quality is outstanding. There is no visible banding or pixilation and the finished print is as good as any I've seen from anywhere. In printer features allow for basic editing and offers various print styles such as passport pictures
Printing from USB, SD Cards, Android or Apple phones via the Canon App or direct from your PC, the range of options is very good. Sadly, Canon have decided not to produce software for Windows 8. The software runs on any Windows OS up to and including Windows 7. That's a shame, but copying an image out to USB or an SD Card gets over that one.
All in all, I'm delighted with this printer and would recommend it to anyone wanting high quality, easy to use and fuss free printing.
33 Comments| 41 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 8 May 2017
Bought as a present to replace one we have had for years. does the job we require effectively. Simple to use although cassettes can be a little expensive.
on 3 April 2016
Was really good, but Canon did not supply windows 8 or 10 drivers, so now useless.
I'm stuck with £50 worth of paper/ink for an unusable printer.
on 19 January 2013
Bought this for all the family this Christmas and love it. Simple to set up and printed all the photos over the festive break to share with all our family and friends.
on 28 October 2013
Excellent for the money, small, easy to use and cheap to run and hooks up easily with your wifi network for wireless printing, even from iPhone with the Canon app.

I'm no stranger to pushing pixels around processing software, feeding my computer with Nikon DSLR and Fuji X series digicam images and also 35mm film scans. Compared to the labs in town this is every bit as good on this format. Let's face it, with 6x4 aspect ratio (matches pretty well with DSLR 3x2 although not exactly strangely, even when cropped to exactly the pixel ratio in processing) you can't get much wrong as long as you feed it decent resolution and well exposed files. Even a modest modern DLSR packs enough punch to print way larger, I've printed 18x12 from a Fuji X100 recently from the lab and these still look excellent, even close it's very difficult to see artefacts.

As such, if you want a quick impressive print at this format, you cannot go wrong with this printer.

Full marks within it's chosen remit, I'll be printing on this to save a trip to the lab for a regular print for some time to come.

PS - yes the cartridge and paper have exactly enough for 36 prints from each pack, watching the paper pass through the printer and then back 4 times is still a modern miracle to me. No idea how it really works but it is as simple as they say it is.
on 14 April 2013
A couple of things to be aware of with this printer: firstly, it does NOT come with either ribbon or paper included, you need to buy those separately, or be very frustrated that you can't try out your new purchase at once. Best value box set is the KP-108IN, with 3 ribbons and 108 sheets of 4x6 paper.

Secondly, for anyone on Mac running Mountain Lion, the included software disc does NOT support Mountain Lion. Yeah, really. How long has Mountain Lion been available now? Must do better, Canon. Anyway, you'll have to go to Canon UK website/support and download the appropriate driver from there.

Once you get past these initial hurdles, things get better. The printer is compact, but rattles out prints within a minute, and the colours are pretty accurate right out of the box - I haven't even bothered with profiles. The Canon Easy Print app (from your app store) lets you print by wi-if direct from your phone or iPad with no hassle. You could carry the whole thing easily to an event, and print onsite. If you just want something to print the occasional snap from your phone, or a set of holiday prints right from the memory card or computer, this is ideal. Easy to set up and simple to operate - what more do you need?

(Well, a ribbon and some paper in the box would be nice!)
22 Comments| 33 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 11 October 2013
.. and I was positively surprised how small it is, still having wifi support, allowing AirPrint from iDevice or network connected computer as well print directly from camera or from sd card with essential edit functions built in and finally how good actually is 4x6 postcard photo quality. Delivered as expected, just be sure to order consumables with your printer.
on 20 December 2012
Fantastic quality! it doesn't use an ink jet cartridge, it uses thermal tranfer than means you get perfect pictures up the end.
on 5 March 2013
I first saw one of these printers back in October 2012 at a business promo day for visitors to print their own photos from the day. I could see how handy one would be at home. When I came to buy one the WIFI version had come down in price so opted for that. I am very pleased with it. I can send photos via local WIFI network from my phone, tablet, PC, Laptop or just stick an SD card in. Very easy to use and the picture quality is very good. Nice bright colours and sharp detail. I am yet to use the auto corrective functions but I'm sure they do some good stuff.
on 28 August 2013
I am a scrapbooker and needed a printer that would give me good quality, occasional prints for when I didn't want to turn on the computer.
This printer does exactly that and is very simple to use. I mostly print from an sd card straight out of my camera, but have printed from my iPhone using the Canon app. I haven't tried it from my computer, as that's not what I wanted it for.
The quality is mostly great and prints come off fairly.
I mainly print 4x6, but I love that it is able to print several smaller pictures on one page as I often use 3x4 photos in my projects.
It's very portable too. I recently took it on our holiday and was able to start my scrapbook before we got home.
It's not perfect though. I have noticed that it crops my photo a little; I have lost the top part of people's heads! I am however still getting used to it, so maybe I'll figure out how to stop this. I also think it would work out quite expensive to print out a whole batch of photos and will continue to order online for that.